Pre 1960 Tyres | FerrariChat

Pre 1960 Tyres

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Longstone Tyres, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

there has been a little controversy about what tyres were available that were fitted in period. There has been some didcussion that ferrari only fitted crossply before 1960, I don't beleive it. I think you could have specified radial.

Fortunately things have changed now, and you can now get a V rated crossply 6.00-16 Pirelli Stella Bianca. and yes i think that is the tyre that the majority of pre 1960 Ferrari fitted. I would love to have some more feed back from people fitting these tyres. from the testing we did with Pirelli we are confident they are the best crossply for the road, also very good on the track (however if they were making a balls out race tyre it would have been lighter.) But for the concourse point of view of course these will be the easy winner, because they are correct. However should someone get penisized for fitting the 185Vr16 Pirelli Cinturato or 185VR16 Michelin X

But i think Ferrari did also fit radial.

as a time line i have.
    1946 Michelin patent the first radial Michelin X and they were making them for 400mm rims.
    throughout the late 40's the Michelin X developed its reputation fitted to the Citroen Traction Avante.
    1952 Pirelli develop the Cinturato as a radial tyre developed to compliment the chassis and handling of sports cars, and we have cars like the Alfa Giulietta fitting 155-15 tyres.
    From 1957 Borrani were making 400mm wheels to fit the easiest radial tyre to get hold of which was a 400mm tyre 165HR400 or 175HR400. So we know that in the '50s ferrari were fitting 400mm radial tyres at least. the 400mm wheel tells us this.

It is the 16" wheel that is interesting. A car fitted with a 16" wheel could have fitted either 6.00V16 Stella Bianca, Dunlop Racing or radial 185R16 Pirelli Cinturato or 185R16 Michelin X

What about the other smaller cars as well. I have problems finding out what they fitted. The 166 & 195 i have down as fitting 5.90H15 ( same as an Austin Healey which we now replace with a 165HR15 Cinturato or a 180HR15 XAS) and the 212 fitted 6.40-15 (E-type Jag replaced by 185VR15) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login