PPI in St. Louis, MO? | FerrariChat

PPI in St. Louis, MO?

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by James_Woods, Apr 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am interested in a 1987 Testarossa that is in St. Louis - can somebody from around there recommend an arbitrary & competent candidate to do a PPI on it?

Thanks, James

2. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    bentley st louis, great guys up there. other then that, there are a couple of small independant shops, where in st louis is the car located?

3. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Daniel Shmitt classic cars; I am not sure on the address...BTW, do you know them? Give me a PM if you have an opinion.

4. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    Please do a search for them on this site, I doubt that they will let you do a PPI, since they have been reluctant in the past. I would not get my hopes up on the car, but best of luck.

5. gordo993

gordo993 Rookie

Apr 29, 2007
    St. Louis
    Run away. I bought a car from them. All I can recommend is to run away.

6. nero328gts

nero328gts Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    they will **** you over

7. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Run Forest (Woods) Run!

8. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    like i said in the pm, i'll be more then happy to give the car a look over for you, but i figured i'd tell you one of my stories: i went up to go look at a rolls (pertaining to a biz idea i had) and found out that i need to place a deposit down before i took it for a ride. okay (in a sarcastic tone) so i walked. i don't care if it's a chevy or a rolls or a ferrari, i'm not buying a car unless i've driven it and i'll be darned if i'm putting down a deposit to do something that's considered normal for purchasing a car. just my .02. but like i said, i'll go check it out in person for you and let you know what i think, did you get that last pm by chance?

9. Indigo

Indigo Karting

Dec 13, 2004
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Coming from someone that has been in the same buisness as Danny Schmitt for 5 years and being a competitor of his I will tell you that you should do what the majority of the people in this thread have told you. Daniel Schmitt learned the buisness from his father. A crook. He had his Rolls Royce dealership taken away from him because he was caught rolling back odometers among other things. If you still have doubts...... check out the BBB reports for him...........

http://www.stlouis.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=110119309

23 reports in 36 months????? That should be enough right there to shy away from it.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Dan

10. BigBull

BigBull Karting

Aug 4, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    FNK
    This dealer has a lot of history - and not much of it that I've heard is good. They have a reputation among a lot of enthusiasts that is less than positive. With this in mind, proceed with a great deal of caution.

On the other hand, Motorcars International of Springfield Missouri has a similar Testarossa (1985 with 10K on the ODO). They have a good reputation (and my personal endorsement as a customer of their's). Give them a call and see if you might be more comfortable dealing with them.

And while I know that that just sounded like a sales pitch I can assure you I have no stake in them or their sales. Just an idea. Best of luck to you.

11. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    This is what is happening - they want a "conditional deposit" before they will allow somebody to do a PPI. (2k) The "conditions" are not yet clear.

I don't think this is reasonable at all if I am willing to pay for the PPI, so we are negotiating that part. The carfax at least looks OK, so I might want to have the car looked over.

Books & Records are also a problem with this car, they were reportedly stolen.

Tools got stolen too, but they replaced them already. It still has the spare.

I go now to check the PMs, looks like I have four unread...will be getting back to you guys soon.

12. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    I would assume that "conditional deposit" is will they return it or not and I would bet the world that the books and tools were not stolen, but simply missing. That is how that group works, making up a story instead of just telling the truth. The TR at Motorcars does look like a great car as well. I would rather pay more for a great TR than save and get a marginal one, it will end up being a very costly experience more than likely. Best of Luck

13. BigBull

BigBull Karting

Aug 4, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    FNK
    [/QUOTE] Books & Records are also a problem with this car, they were reportedly stolen.

Tools got stolen too, but they replaced them already.[/QUOTE]

And so it begins... Is anyone suprised??? You don't even have the basic info on this car to make a good decision and yet you are still speaking with them? Be careful - this is where a lot of people get so excited about having the car that they throw all caution and sense to the side in the pursuit to get it.

Take a step back and consider that you asked this board for some advice. You rec'd several posts - all of which have thrown up a HUGE red flag on this dealer group - and you are still in negotiations. Take this advice from these guys seriously - there are a lot of people here who know the exotics world pretty well. Personally I would run the other direction just as fast as I could.

Now if that isn't enough of a warning to you, then I am going to have a hard time feeling bad for you when you get scr*wed. Find a better car. They are out there - believe me. You just need to remain patient until you find it. Heck - ask these guys where to look. They may know where to direct you to a car which is pristine, has all records and services, and will actually be from a reputable dealer who will stand behind what they sell.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. That's my $0.02 - but I'm sure it's worth a LOT more in this case. Walk away. Just walk away.

14. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    it was nice getting a chance to chat with you on the phone earlier, the car looked to be in diecent shape, a couple of other things i noticed after we hung up was a couple of rock chips on the undercarriage/bottom of the hood, and a couple of other minor dings, i've got some pics and will pm you shortly, but after reading your last post james, i would say to be very cautious as to what the conditions are for the ppi, especially what happens if you choose to walk away from the car. the fact that your willing to pay for the inspection should more then take care of the deposit, but who knows. i wish i had of read that last post again before i left to go up there, i would have tried to find out about the tools. like fred said in the post above, just beware of the dealership, but for all we know the car could become a diamond in the rough once the ppi is done with. are you going to have them take it to bentley stl for it?

15. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I think you guys should quit sugar-coating things and tell him how you really feel about him potentially buying this car!

16. BigBull

BigBull Karting

Aug 4, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    FNK
    Well - what can I say? The subtle approach didn't seem to be sinking in.

17. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    First of all, let me say thanks to Rolls&Ferrari, FatCab, Bull, and all the rest...with special thanks to Rolls for actually going over there and taking a look at it!

The reason that I am being a stubborn IDIOT is that I really had the car-wanter neuron set on a 1987 red/black. I like the '87 because of the center-lock wheels and the double mirrors. Black inside just because it is not the usual tan and kind of hides the wear better. I had been working on one in Chicago for the best part of year which did not make the PPI (bad compression on two cylinders). They tried to do a valve job on it and still do not have it back together.

Anyway, like a good poker player, I have an ace in the hole. Here in Dallas, the RUF (Porsche mod) auto center has access to a very nice '86 and they will show it to me this morning. These people I know because they have taken care of my Porsche for years. But, it is an 86 single mirror and is red/tan with 22K miles. Reasonable price, though.

We will of course let all you folks know what happens - but rest assured that I will not just walk into the Shmitt deal like a naked girl in a slasher movie!

Hope to see you guys when you get to Dallas or I get up your way...

James

18. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott

thanks for the kind words, i just hope we didn't crush your dream. i still have the pics if you'd like me to post 'em, good luck on the 86 they have in your area!

19. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Sure - maybe you could post them right here so everybody knows what we are talking about.

FWTW, I think left brain is telling me to go with the local '86, but right brain is still unruly as usual.

James

20. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #20 rollsorferrari?, May 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. gordo993

gordo993 Rookie

Apr 29, 2007
    St. Louis
    FWIW - a conditional deposit from Schmidt means if it fails PPI and you want out, they keep your deposit. If you get scammed into buying the car, they keep your deposit.

Also, don't sign an arbitration agreement from any dealership - learned this one the hard way, too!

22. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i take it you've had some experience with them too

23. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, that picture of the seat issue is clear; I thought that you meant that a seam was becoming undone. I don't know what is going to fix that without a full reupholstery on that side.

BTW, I checked and all the pictures I can find do not show an emblem on the front "grill", only on the back.

You know, these people could make it so much easier for themselves by just giving up on the 2K deposit scam. If I were the dealership, I would go have a PPI done on it at my own cost - and provide the paperwork to prospective buyers with the offer that they could run their own as well.

From what you are showing me, I would still buy this car, but with appropriate discount for the lack of books & records, and the little trim and fit items that Rolls found for us...

but, with a shady 2K deposit just to get a compression check - no way, Jose.

so, guess who just left me an "urgent" voicemail?

James

24. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    lol, i'd be interested in finding out what schmitt says (if that is the dealership on the phone) i can only think that by not allowing a ppi done w/o a deposit (non refundable upon a non purchase, i would assume) is only trying to hide something.

25. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, it did occur to me that it might be very difficult to determine what "failed the PPI" really means. Especially if the "arbitrator" is somebodys brother in law.

But what exactly did you mean by "if you get scammed into buying the car, they keep your deposit"? I assumed that you deposit your money and that would be taken off the purchase price...do you mean the tack on "processing fees, etc" so as to eat up your deposit money over and above the price?

Say it aint so - please!