PPF - Shelf Life and Removing Old Film | FerrariChat

PPF - Shelf Life and Removing Old Film

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Eggman, Aug 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eggman

Eggman Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Mr. P
    Hello all. New 360 owner here.

I just bought a black 2001 360 F1 Spider (10,800 miles) and has a really nice film on the entire front, rockers, mirrors, and behind the rear wheels. Looks clear and shiny.

The problem is I have no idea how old it is, nor the actual product. I understand they have a shelf life and should be taken off every x amount of years.

Should I leave mine alone since it visually looks great? What are the risks of leaving it on longer? I understand we have "soft" paint...at least this year.

I'm scared either way - leaving on or off. I don't want to have it taken off if it's fine for now, but I'm scared if I pull it as I'm risking paint being peeled off too (?)

Help! All opinions welcome. Pros chime in too!

Thanks in advance.

2. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Welcome. I am in the same boat with my car. It has full ppf of unknown age.....

I've asked the same question, and have gotten different answers. Some have said 10 years, and others up until it starts to change color. I put the xpel sealer on mine once or twice a year to condition it.

My personal experience on my race car was the stuff that was in the line of fire for debris and rubber, got thin and was extremely difficult to remove. Other parts that had no direct contact were difficult too though. I don't know how long it was on there though, but I think a long time. I took some off a spare bumper I have that I believe was 5 years old, came off easy; just like on the youtube videos.

3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Films have changed much over the past 5 years. So depending on when it was installed it is either ready to come off or it can be left on for a few more years. If it looks good, then it may be a newer installation and you should be fine. If it is yellowing and brittle, you are better off removing it. Regardless, there is always a chance that some of the paint will pull up with it. If you are not willing to take that chance, then your only option is to leave it on. Also, pulling paint when removing PPF really doesn't have anything to do with how "soft" or "hard" the paint is. It really comes down to the paint prep and application. Just my .02

4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I bought an 08 430 in 2015 and it had PPF on it of unknown age. Had Xpel remove it. At first they wanted me to leave the car but when the tech started he said give me half an hour and it was all off. Full front clip. No paint issues. There is a proper way to pull it off and a wrong way. The film was yellow when he removed it.

Had some paint work completed and had new Xpel put on. Look in the wheel wells to see if any of it is pulling away and you might see if it’s yellowing.

If it still looks good, leave it until it’s looking sad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro