Power Steering mulfunction go to the dealer | FerrariChat

Power Steering mulfunction go to the dealer

Discussion in '612/599' started by smggms, Aug 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    any one with this message? this showed up afrer battery died ( car in storage 4 weeks)
    put new battery old battery tested was good .

no isuues in steering i noticed , no leak .. nothing..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I see that on occasion. Generally when the battery voltage is a little low or I tried to start it too quickly (not waiting for the dash to completely settle down before starting). Also "Electrical Malfunction" once in a while. I've never noticed any difference in the steering when that light comes on.

It would be nice to know what that light is telling you-- my guess is it's saying steering ECU failed self test.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    i thought it was low voltage issue, so i purchased new battery .. the message still there
    i dont feel any diffrent in driving sterring etc..

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Give it a few start/stop cycles and see if goes away. That's what I have found. Or, maybe it actually is broken?

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Could have been a low voltage issue that caused a fault, and it just needs cleared out? As ever you need to get yourself a tool to scan and clear codes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

RedNeck likes this.
  6. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    i did that , still there . car drive normal what could be broken?

7. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    its not obd2 code easy to clear , i have foxwell 510 scanner and autel ap200 both cant clear the code
    selected both option
    – Scaglietti (F137)
    – Scaglietti MY (F137 MY)

i think mine 2005 is the F137

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't have a good answer for you-- mine has always gone away after usually one, but sometimes two or three, start/stop cycles.

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    That’s curious; does the Autel connect to the steering module? My autel does on my 2005 612. Maybe the ecu itself is bad, and that’s why you can’t connect to it.

Do any of the other modules have a fault listed that would indicate lack of communication with the steering ecu?

If you can connect, but just can’t clear the fault, that’s usually because the fault is persistent, so you’ll need to cure the cause of the fault before it will go away.

10. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    its connecting i see error code C1014 ( WARINING LIGHT MALFUNCTION) doesnt say much .
    i clicked on erase code ( erased suscessful but wont go away )
    i did notice in LIVE DATA
    voltage = 11.6v ( on old and new battery ..)
    this low, NO?

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I'll have a look at what the Ferrari diagnostic help has to say about that specific code. Doesn't sound as if there's a fault with the Autel though; its telling you that there is a fault present all the time. Its a very basic ecu though, so not sure what its self diagnostic capabilities are.

12. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    if i search by generic obd2 for C1014

C1014 Possible Solution:

Power Steering Pressure (PSP) Switch Signal Malfunction The PCM counts the number of times vehicle speed transitions from 0 to a calibratable speed. After a calibratable number of speed transitions the PCM expects that the PSP input should have changed. This DTC is set if the transition is not detected. Vehicle towed with engine running Power steering hydraulic concern was repaired but DTC was not erased PSP switch/shorting bar damaged SIG RTN circuit open PSP circuit open or shorted to SIGRTN PCM damaged Check, if possible, if vehicle was towed or power steering service was performed. Observe PSP V PID while checking wires for intermittents.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I believe what happens is that the different ECUs don't always start in the order that they are supposed to. Most of the time they do, but sometimes they don't, and errors are the result.

Also, 11.6v seems low to me, but I'm not sure what the spec value is.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    11.6 volts is way low, Don, and that can cause all kinds of spurious electrons floating around.

Skidkid likes this.
  15. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    TAZ 11.6 in the live data in (steering module)
    The main battery is new and it’s 12.8

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I see, said the blind man.

I hate to ask and the pros will kick me because it can hurt diagnosis, but did you try a master reset with the battery cut-off switch?

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Annoyingly the diagnostic manual doesn’t list the fault codes against the various fault conditions for the power steering module. Below are the screen shots for all of the possible fault conditions that will register with this module, along with the suggested diagnosis.

Could be onto something with the low voltage theory.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Just reading the screenshots above I see that the threshold for low voltage causing an error in the steering module is 10V, so I think you can rule this one out as the cause of the warning light.

19. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Thank you for screen shots :)

so its probably something else, not the voltage ..

20. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
  21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    That’s a good step forward!

Also, as an aside, good to know that autel are still developing this product.

22. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Still glitchy not always connect
    Has to turn on and off blue tooth

Do u know if there solenoid valve in steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I assume the solenoid valve is on the steering rack itself and is the means by which the hydraulic pressure is varied in the steering system.

24. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    update
    since the battery died first time in over a year, one expert tech suggested to touch ( ziptie) positive and negative
    to Clear ecu FROM stored faults.
    i did, so left it overnight .. charged the new battery
    put them togethher install new battery .. the code still there.. once i turned the key on.. not even started the car
    i did the drive cycle to reset the smog .. still there

C1017 SOLENOID VALVE IN SHORT CIRCUT/OPEN CIRCUT

25. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Sounds like something has gone wrong with the solenoid then...

After a bit of googling and looking at steering racks listed on ebay, you can see the valve is mounted on the rack just next to where the steering column attaches. Ferrari don't sell the solenoid on its own, but its not unreasonable to think you would be able to get something like this and bolt it in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASERATI-QUATTROPORTE-M139-07-11-4-2-STEERING-RACK-SOLENOID-VALVE/264437615121

In any case, I would remove the solenoid valve for testing. Apply 12V across the terminals and carry out a visual check that it is functioning properly. Also check the resistance across the terminals; if its infinite, then you have a confirmed bad solenoid (open circuit). If its too low, then you have a short circuit, though I dont have the specs on what the resistance should be.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login