Power loss 400i | FerrariChat

Power loss 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by R Whitney, Oct 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R Whitney

R Whitney Rookie

Oct 5, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Randle Whitney
    The engine has always started well and ran well until yesterday. It started, then immediately died. Restarted and died. Restarted and it would run only if I held the accelerator down slightly. From a standing start, I could out run it on a bicycle up to about 30 MPH. It would reach highway speeds but is agonizingly slow getting there. The engine runs smooth above 2000 RPM. Help!! Please !! And thank you.

2. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    R Whitney, Welcome to F-Chat,
    for your question regarding this kind of cars I think its better to put this in the 365/400/412 model section to get more response.308Rob

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The good news is that your 400i has a single ignition system so I'd start with the fuel system (which has completely separate independent systems for each bank) based on your description (of low power, but smooth operation):

1. Check condition of fuel pump fuses and holders;

2. If you pass step 1, with the engine running (even poorly), measure the voltage at the top and bottom terminals of the fuel pump fuses (#3 & #4) relative to chassis ground -- should be +12V at all four locations;

3. If you pass step 2, remove the fuel pump relays (and with the key "off") and touch a jumper wire from the 30 terminal of the relay socket to the 87 terminal of the relay socket (the tabs on the relay will be numbered so you can figure out the socket numbers) -- you should hear the corresponding fuel pump run if it's OK.
    See this thread for a jpeg of the 30-to-87 jumping: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112351

Good hunting...

4. R Whitney

R Whitney Rookie

Oct 5, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Randle Whitney
    ON THE MONEY, DAD!! Bad, not blown, fuse. Runs as good as ever. I hope this makes your day. You sure made mine!!!! Thank you a bundle. Randle.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad it worked out to be simple.

No trouble to give you a nudge in the right direction -- this problem comes up in a couple of different forms on different F models quite regularly. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't had more reports from 400i Owners burning up the #3 & #4 fuse positions due to the high currents (haven't seen the 400i details in the flesh, but the schematic implies the same rivet & plate-on-the-backside construction that is so troublesome on 308s).

6. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Yes, this same issue happened to me a month or so back. My fuse block had gone bad, so I had to replace the whole block.

Hard to find item, and the Birdman does not make new blocks for the 400! :(

7. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Drive since months with "jumper cable" for the Fuel pump.