Potential new owner hoping to get thoughts on potential car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Potential new owner hoping to get thoughts on potential car

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by tdskip, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    WTB ad is a good idea. Another thing to do is get in touch with dealers and some independant F-car shops and see if they have any customers looking to sell. You may then hear about a car before it gets advertised. Good Luck!

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Once you manage to change your first set of cam belts, you are on the road to diy maintainence.

3. tdskip

tdskip Karting

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good idea @rob , and @mike32 I will duly consider that a right of passage.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When you do the belts and press the starter for the first time, to no noise of valves hitting pistons.

5. tdskip

tdskip Karting

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Oh, you mean I actually have to do it right? Grin.

I have to admit that will be slightly nerve racking.

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Image Unavailable, Please Login The Mondial QV and 3.2 are excellent DIY cars. As far as wheels do yourself a favor and install some cool wheels and tires. 360 modulars are on mine

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Also people talk of dealers, PPI's and all sorts of stuff but sometimes you have to take a chance. I bought mine 8 years ago sight unseen in Florida. I did have it inspected but I think Ray Charles may have been in charge. All things considered I paid 15,000 dollars for it and have done lots of work to it. Thing is it is a labor of love for me because I call it my boat. I work on it all week to enjoy it on the weekend. Enjoy it I do. I bought it to wear it out. So far so good

8. tdskip

tdskip Karting

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the ongoing discussion, I have to say the welcome Inn community here is a big plus in trying to track one of these down. Thank you.

9. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I'd agree.

I bought mine without a PPI. However, she was at a broker that had a service dept. So, when I arrived to look at the car, they had her up on a lift for me to inspect. They provided a Ferrari knowlegdable guy to walk me through what I was seeing, and answer any questions.

Same walk through when we lowered the lift.

We also did a fairly extensive test drive. At the end, I was comfortable with the purchase. It also helps that my (adult) son and I have been rebuilding VWs for a long time. So, we were pretty sure that we could handle anything that breaks and any required maintenance. So far, we haven't had an issue keeping her happy and on the road.

Sid

10. tdskip

tdskip Karting

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    While not verging on reckless I too feel more comfortable with this vintage Ferrari compare with others.

Seems to be a sweet spot here of robustness and DIY manageable.

2cam likes this.