position of external alternator regulation device | FerrariChat

position of external alternator regulation device

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 365 GT4 2+2 addict, Aug 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365 GT4 2+2 addict

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi there,

I am new to this community and just recently bought a '73 365 GT 4 2+2, which in theory is great.

Practically the car seller in Italy (a company) changed between the testing of the car and the purchase the original alternator against a "new" one (as they said the old one did not work properly any more), however not original and after 800 km the v-belt failed. The new alternator turned out not only to be not original but also the V-belt pulley was of a completely different size, thus the v-belts just have to fail continously.

In the meantime I got hold of the original alternator, had it fixed and put it back into place.

now the problem is the following:
    the old alternator has an EXTERNAL device regulating (proper english term unknown) the electricity generated and normally protecting the battery from overrun or whatever, however in new alternators this is built in the alternator itself.

Building in the old alternator I could not find the external regulator device nor the cables fitting the alternator (should be 5 in total, found only 2). So the alternator is connected but simply does not work.

Does anyone know where the external regulator device (sort of several diodes) is located and does anyone have a clue where the cables should come from as my fear is that the car seller's mechanics just cut everything and threw it away and as I have no knowledge about it I cannot even see, whether something is missing or was never there. A technical picture would be great!

It would be great help as I fear that putting the car in a garage would be not only an expensive but also risky exercise, as I guess that the result out of a garage rarely helps with old cars, but is normally just done in a way which after 2 month results in more problems elsewhere - so i try to do it myself.

Thanks and hope someone out there hears my crying...

the addicted

2. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    #2 ricar116, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in the slow process of a ground up on a 74' ... miss not being able to take it for a spin. Look at item # 30 Ferrari P/N 100479. Good Luck!
    Rick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. hskasimir

hskasimir Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Howard Sheronas
    What I think you're looking for is the voltage regulator. Mine were changed a few weeks ago by my mechanic. They used Porsche units instead of the original Ferrari parts - makes no difference in performance and you can drive the car until you come up with the originals, if you insist on them.
    It's located underneath the dashboard, as far as I remember it sits on top of the lever for opening the hood. Nor exactly sure, since I didn't change them myself.
    I remember, however, that there was one or even a few threads on this site that dealt with this issue. I'm sure you'll find it if you search for "voltage regulator".

Good luck