Posh Restomods. | FerrariChat

Posh Restomods.

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 635CSI, Mar 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hello Porsche People.
    It’s been a while.
    When I was a younger man I had two 911s, a 2.4 S and a 964 RS.
    Both bought , and sold, relatively cheaply.
    Now, as a 57 year old living in a country that will ban the sale of ICE only cars from 2030 I am looking at putting together the car collection that I will take, nearly, to my grave.
    My thoughts return to the 911.
    But I have enough old cars and like the whole restomod Porsche idea.
    Singer probably sent me in that direction.
    But I can’t afford a Singer.
    I have seen a huge variety of restomods of varying quality, but one that attracted me was the UK based Theon.
    A good Theon 3.8 would cost me around 325 k GBP.
    As a car it would tick every box. No Doubt in this for me.
    But, will such a car retain its value? Singers do well at auction I know, but traditionally modified cars do not.
    Or in 2030 when you won’t be able to buy a new ICE car will a 964 based, 2021 ‘modern’ barnstormer be just what a certain person, now probably aged 30, want ?
    Welcome your thoughts Guys.

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I am afraid I am not a fan of restomods, so I don't have any answers for you. All I will say is that £325K would have bought my Dino - I know which I would prefer.

3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well, I doubt you are alone in that. The term restomod might be a bit harsh for something the calibre of a Singer or even one of these Theons, but to some that is all they are. Which might be a value issue somewhere down the line.