Portofino facelift - A new journey begins | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Portofino facelift - A new journey begins

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by coolhandshin, Sep 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I too see very little meaningful difference in the exterior between the two.
    The question is IF there turns out to be a $40-50k price difference ( $20k discount on a new already delivered nicely specced 2020 that a dealer has in stock PLUS a $20-30k increase in MSRP for the new M ) plus the wait to order the M, which would you choose?

2. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    If the M front bumper fits on the regular Portofino, I'd explore taking the original Portofino and modifying the front end to look like the M. The front bumper area is the my least favorite aspect of the original design - everything else I'm happy with.

Otherwise, I'd let someone else take the massive depreciation hit and buy a lightly used M in a few years...saving the $50K to $100K. There are so many ways you could play this.

3. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Life is short so not everyone wants to wait a few years to buy the car.
    My question pertains to buying one now.....New original Portofino or Portofino M plus $40-50k?

4. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    #104 SilverLeaf, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    I've got other sports cars to enjoy in the meantime. But ok, I'll play along...

Portofino M plus $40-$50K. Going with your "life is short" statement, you can't take the money with you, so get what you really want. The M is a better car all around and you'd get to spec it exactly how you'd want instead of compromising and taking what's available on the dealer lot.

That does bring up another issue with your original framing though...The actual delta is highly dependent on how the two cars are spec'd. There's quite a lot of variability in out-the-door pricing depending on what options are on the dealer's car vs. what you'd order if you could start with a clean sheet.

5. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I am also looking at a new M. $45- $50K increase over a new 2020 then I would pass. If a couple of thousand OK. More than that, I will start shopping alternatives.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Some interesting info here about the M. I thought the 20% smaller DCT on the M versus gen 1 Porto was interesting.

T

7. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm impressed that it can handle 35% more torque than the gearbox it replaces. I took note of his wording "can transmit 35% more torque". I'm not sure if that means the Portofino M will actually have 35% more torque than the outgoing Portofino, or it's just a statement about the theoretical limit.

8. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    A more general question for the forum. Does anyone have any theories on why they announced the Portofino M nine months before customer cars will be available? Contrast that to the Roma, where we're already starting to see anecdotal reports of cars being spotted out in the wild - not sure if those are press cars or customer deliveries.

It makes me wonder why they bothered to announced the M so far in advance of product availability.

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Don’t think this is unusual.

Roma announced last November and first units are just starting production now. Almost 1 year to production. First deliveries perhaps next month.

SV

10. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
  11. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    I understand the factory has stopped production of the original Portofino. If you order a car today it'll be the Portofino M you're specing with delivery middle of 2021. I reckon about 2,000 Portos have been produced to date, with most being delivered in 2019.

12. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Yes the production of the PF has ended this summer. But the total produced is more around 6000 cars than 2000. Or maybe you were talking about US cars?

13. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    So if production of the current PF has stopped, why would it take 9 more months to start seeing the M roll off the assembly lines? I'm wondering if they have a capacity isse, and re-allocated it to other models like the Roma.

...Which in turn seems like a weird thing to do, given that the Portofino is their best selling model.

14. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    i think portofino m is the perfect gt. better tech, more horsepower, for already a good cabrio. if you're speccing it based on your taste, what more?

15. coolhandshin

coolhandshin Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
  16. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    any feedback on cowl shake, or lack thereof? any PF owners able to offer any info on rigidity, either top up or down? thinking of a PFM, coming from years of coupes but the look and engine have caught my interest;

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Never felt anything of the sort, no cowl shake etc. Very rigid car.. it was a perfect GT! I miss it! Can't wait to order another one.

18. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  19. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Not trying to attack or defend, but they removed the back boxes (mufflers) at the back of the car in an effort to counteract the addition of the GPFs. Obviously, none of us has driven or even heard the new car in person, so final judgement will have to wait. Each series has its different voices. The 355 is very different compared to my 458 and my 458 is very different compared to the 488. Never been close enough to a F8 to know where that slots it, but I suspect is would be described as "different" by many.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I've seen a few videos of the Portofino M now, and I have analyzed them thoroughly. There a few test drives by italian reviewers that came out ~15 days ago.

It is clear to me that the exhaust sound is a bit louder on the Portofino M, but it has a lower, "filtered" tone. It is very noticeable at higher revs, its like the GPF acts as a low-pass-filter that removes the higher notes of the exhaust sound. Basically, the engine "screams" less on the Portofino M at higher revs. IMO the sound is objectively worse in Portofino M that in the original Porto, I don't believe anyone can argue the contrary (but some of the professional reviewers dare to say that the new Porto M sounds even better than the original... Pure BS).

Damn regulations, I bet the engineers have a really hard time to mantain the soul of the car while they comply with regulations.

From the other side, the new 8 gears gearbox should be an improvement. Other than that and the new manettino, which in my opinion is mostly a gimmick, I don't think there are many differences.

21. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Happy I didn't wait.
    Been enjoying mine for a year now and you never know what tomorrow brings.

Caeruleus11 likes this.