Portofino Battery Charging | FerrariChat

Portofino Battery Charging

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Montserrat88, Oct 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Montserrat88

Montserrat88 Rookie

May 29, 2020
    Didn't drive my portofino for 2 weeks and came back to a dead battery. I plugged in the battery tender to charge but no luck starting the car after charging for ~3 hours. When the tender is plugged into the car there is a red blinking light, not sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated.

2. John Wollman

John Wollman Rookie

Sep 3, 2020
    When you attach the battery charger, the light should change from blinking red to a yellowish light and then green when the battery is charged. Suggest try re-seating the charger magnet until the light stops blinking red. Sometimes it takes me a few attempts to get the magnet properly seated.

3. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Yes, sounds as though there is a connection issue

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Montserrat88

Montserrat88 Rookie

May 29, 2020
    tried wiggling it around and disconnecting/reconnecting a few times but no luck... the light is still red and flashing. Would I be able to jump start the car the old fashioned way? Any issues there?

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When the tender is connected properly (connector seated into place,perfectly vertical),the red light will blink six times and turn amber on the seventh blink. When fully charged,the light turns green. I don't know if the tender is capable of charging a dead battery,but if it is then it will take much longer than three hours. It is a low-amp tender,not a battery charger.

MCAppe and greg328 like this.
  6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When dealing with battery issues,read pages 171 and following in the Owner's Manual (USA version). If you need to disconnect the battery (which you should do if you want to use a real charger),remove the plastic grill at the right rear of the engine compartment by turning the three thumbscrews, and lift off the negative terminal by squeezing the button at the top of the terminal. I mention this because the description in the Owner's Manual is very unclear.

greg328 likes this.
  7. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Have you checked the actual battery connections are all aok ? One of mine worked loose so prevented charging.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Be careful of jump start a dead battery. Don't know how similar is my 2011 Cali to a Portofino, Last month first time I jumped start it I had a fault code on the display. First it was air bag, then EBS emergency brake system and the third time it was transmission locked up. I had to call the Ferrari tech mobile service to come out had the battery replaced and OBC cleared all faults. I would try to charge the battery to full without the tender plugged in before jump start it.

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The Owner's Manual is very emphatic: DO NOT JUMP START (page 174).

10. Montserrat88

Montserrat88 Rookie

May 29, 2020
    Thanks all for the help. Apparently the trickle charger won't be able to charge up the battery if it's completely dead.

11. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    These cars need to be on a tender whenever they are not being driven. Once, our GFCI outlet popped, and after a couple of days without benefit of the trickle charger we had problems opening the roof. The computer is a constant drain on the battery; therefore the battery must be "maintained" by the trickle charger.

12. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    My car is parked where I can't leave the tender connected all the time without worrying about someone stealing the tender. I use the tender after driving the car (which can take up to three hours to show green) and then every other day (which takes an hour or less to show green).

13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Did it sit for two weeks without being plugged in?

14. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Are you asking me or OP? OP's post indicates that his car was not on a charger for two weeks.

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes, drive it as often as practical, tender otherwise. Also, get a new battery tender while you're at it...T

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why not just save yourself all the hassle and buy the best AGM battery you can find?

In other words, get a Braille B7548.

There is nothing odd about your experience. The stock battery is utter garbage, and after it has been discharged, it will never be a battery again.

Do it once, do it right.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc and AD211 like this.