Porto Visit | FerrariChat

Porto Visit

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by pyroguy, Aug 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello everyone! I will be in Porto Oct 9th to the 17th attending the International Fireworks Symposium. Thought I would ask if there is anything "Ferrari" going on in the area during that time.

Also I would like some suggestions for my visit to Porto. Will also spend a day in Lisbon on the way there and on the way back.

Would enjoy meeting some fellow Fchatters if anyone has the time!

Thanks!

2. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Hi Steve!

There are a few things you shouldn't miss while in Porto. Here's a few:

- visit "Ribeira", the old part of town, by day and by night.
    - while there, visit the Port Wine Caves.
    - the old Stock Market Exchange building, "Palácio da Bolsa", very close to Ribeira
    - take a boat ride up the river Douro (could be all day long, there are several choices)
    - tour on the open buses and get a general view of the city (like in any other city)
    - eat lots of good food :) Portugal is also famous for it's cuisine, and it's not expensive (in general). Very good fish restaurants!

Car wise you can tour the Boavista Circuit, just for fun. It's a city circuit that is held every other year. You need to be back next year :)
    The local Ferrari dealer is very small, and I mean small ...

If you are into classics, there are several good restoration shops around Porto.

We can try to arrange a meeting at breakfast on the 10th or 16th October. I'm sure some other Portuguese FChatters will join in. Which one would work best for you?

3. BigDaddy_PT

BigDaddy_PT Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    I would take RGigante's advices and visit also "Casa da Música", it's a building very controversial for it's arquitecture

One thing, don't cook, go to the restaurants, they are good, lots of specialties including bbq, fish and must eat the world famous "francesinha", where Porto is the best place to eat them in the world

4. gonirosa

gonirosa Rookie

May 17, 2010
    Trancoso, Guarda
    Full Name:
    João Filipe Rosa
    Everything that they sad are good things, but ''francesinha''... Hum, you cannot miss that my friend, i'm from a city very far from Porto, if not i will join you in the breakfast.

:D

5. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I do know we are doing a river cruise on the 16th after the Symposium on the Douro so that sounds like fun.
    Don't worry, I have no intention of cooking. I love eating the local specialties!
    Definitely appreciate the sightseeing suggestions. I enjoy touring historic and old buildings.

I won't know my final schedule until probably September. My original plan was to fly to Lisbon via Amsterdam on the 8th/9th. Stay overnight and fly to Porto the next day (10th).

However i may need to be in Hanoi, Vietnam on the 10th then fly out right away on the 11th which means I won't get to Porto until the 12th! Crazy business I am in! I will keep you all posted. Would love the opportunity to meet some of you while I am in Portugal. I am a big wine fan so I'm pretty pumped up.

Steve

6. trtl

trtl Rookie

Oct 11, 2009
    Aveiro, Portugal
    I'd also sugest a visit to the Serralves garden. Been there myself, once, and found them very pleasing...

7. ricardo teixeira

ricardo teixeira Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Luanda / OPorto
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Teixeira
    Well, just to complement RGigante tips, you may just spend a few minutes on the Cristal Palace of Oporto gardens and look at the Douro river from above...

And as ironic as it may seem, to realy enjoy Oporto you just have to take a short walk thru the (Eiffel) bridge to Gaia, were all the Oporto wine sellers are and choose one of the very ancient brands to take one of their many wine offerings.

Don't forget that Oporto wine is a licour and not a wine.....

I meant ironic because to have a look at Oporto city, you have to be across the river to realy enjoy all of it's beauty and "elan", and also because "Oporto" wine never sets foot at Oporto city..... It is grown in the upper part of Douro river, then it was sent dow river to Gaia sellers were it was aged and shipped across the world..

May I recomend a nice evening dinner on Gaia seller area, were you can choose from several glass covered restaurants, and just walk back to the old part of Oporto after it...

Either way, you won't be dispointed with your visit to Oporto for certain..

PS: Francesinha (little French girl) is a Pop culture traditional dish from Oporto. It is basically the Oporto's Hamburger. Imagine a cheese, ham, small steak, sauchage toast, covered in melted cheese and drowned in hot sauce, rounded by french fries. A strong apettite and cheese foundness are mandatory!

Cheers,
    R

8. Dinhossauro

Dinhossauro Karting

Nov 26, 2009
    Porto, Portugal
    You can also visit the "Solar do Vinho do Porto", very nice spot

9. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks! I'll mark that one down also. Hope to have my final plans soon. If I can hook up with a few of you that would be great!

Looking forward to the trip.

Steve

10. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well it looks like my plans are getting finalized. I was worried I had to change plans and fly to Porto later. I will be arriving on the 10th in Porto but not until around 2:30 or 3:00PM so breakfast that day will not work. The 16th is our River Cruise but I don't know what time we depart yet. That day may work. Definitely looking forward to the visit. I will update soon to see if I can meet a few of you. would really enjoy it. Take Care, Steve

11. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well less than a week away and my wife and I are getting excited for the trip. Several wonderful fireworks displays are planned. I am sure if you look you will see advertisements for the shows. There will be fireworks displays on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

I leave for the Douro River Cruise at 8:30AM so if some of you want to get together early I would love to meet you. I am staying at the Porto Palacio in Porto. My cell phone is international but it would be expensive for you to call me on that phone. I plan to bring my other cell phone a purchase a local SIM card for it. I can PM some of you the number when I get it.

Thank you again to all of you for the suggestions in Porto!

Best Regards,

Steve

12. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Hi Steve,

That weekend of 16-17 will very probably be difficult for me ... but let's try to meet during the week before, maybe for the fireworks!
    Porto Palacio is a fine hotel. Check your PM !

13. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Caros,

falei hoje com o Steve e estamos a combinar encontro para amanhã, terça feira, com as máquinas.
    Quem quer juntar-se ao grupo?

14. Dinhossauro

Dinhossauro Karting

Nov 26, 2009
    Porto, Portugal
    Local e hora???

15. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looking forward on meeting several of you tomorrow at the Porto Palacio. I'll check out the parking situation!

Steve

16. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Have fun guys!

17. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Realmente esqueci-me... Por volta das 21:30 no Hotel Porto Palácio (Boavista)

18. Dinhossauro

Dinhossauro Karting

Nov 26, 2009
    Porto, Portugal
    A hora não é das melhores para mim.
    É na hora de tentar adormecer os meus 3 piratinhas.

Vou tentar me despachar o mais cedo possivel e ainda lá dar um salto

19. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Ok, excelente! Vamos levar as máquinas!

20. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    Dificilmente poderei apareçer , dia do meu aniversário e vou jantar fora com minha esposa.

Bom encontro pessoal.

21. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Happy Birthday to you !!! :)
    Parabéns meu caro, e bom jantar! Sempre podes ir jantar para os lados da Boavista e depois como quem não quer a coisa ... :)

22. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    Many Thanks!!

Xiuuu

Eu vou fazer isso :D

:D:D:D:D

23. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Quem levar o carro por favor diga-me. Vou tentar arranjar estacionamento no local.

24. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    #24 F430Modena, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    Hi Steve!!
    It was great to meet you and your friends!!!
    I really enjoyed it!!!!
    Thanks for the drinks!!

I hope to see you soon!!

All the best
    Vitor