Portland now? | FerrariChat

Portland now?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by fatbillybob, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    For those boots on the ground I'm in L.A. county avoiding all the cr@p going on in the city. I'm thinking of racing at Portland int. 2 weekends away. How is the area? Is Portland and the hotels around the racecway a stay away place like CHOP?

TIA!

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    PIR and that area is fine. Things have pretty much settled down in Portland, although I would stay away from the Justice Center in downtown after 10pm... but PIR is a long way from there. If you're worried about it, stay in Vancouver WA-- it's about 10 minutes from there to the track, assuming the bridge is down.

My office is in downtown Portland, and it's kind of fun to walk around. I do try to leave the downtown core before 5pm, though-- no need to get caught up in a protest.

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Thanks for the 411!

4. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Portland downtown used to be a beautiful and vibrant scene for great food/entertainment/nightlife. Minimal trash, and not much crime. Now it looks like war zone. Graffiti everywhere, boarded up businesses and storefronts, destruction everywhere you look. I will NOT be going downtown for anything for a very long while. Just disgusting what has been done "in the name of change"!

dinogt4guy, greg328, Il Steeg and 2 others like this.
  5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Really, downtown Portland is fine. I'm sitting in my office right now in downtown, and during the day it's no better or worse than normal-- except less crowded, and fewer lunch options. Although the lunch options are slowly getting better. I take a walk most days at lunch to stretch my legs, and even the area by the Justice Center is totally fine-- and there are some absolutely beautiful murals down there. I hope someone saves some of them.

At night, just stay west of Broadway and you'll be fine. Even on Broadway itself is fine. But Broadway to the river is where the protest activity takes place, and sometimes they do come up Broadway. They pass by and are gone... it's 3rd avenue where they hang out and block the streets.

However, all of that has been slackening off... the holiday weekend might cause a bit of a resurgence, who knows.

Anyway, nothing like Seattle. And credit to Portland Police for never allowing a CHOP/CHAZ thing to get started-- every time they've tried (and they've tried often), the police roll in about 5am and roll it all up while the demonstrators are asleep.

Art360Spider and TAS37 like this.
  6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I can't believe the protesters felt the need to attack the elk statue. What did the elk do to them?

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    o good; another meme.....@elklivesmatter

my father was an elk; lots of people didn't like him......

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #8 gsholz, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Portland is a great place to stay away from..The mayor (who is also the police commissioner) announced extended bereavement leave for all city employees to mourn racial injustices. No questions asked. About 300 people took him up on this additional paid vacation so far. These people couldn't manage a lemonade stand. But every election even less capable people get voted in. One has to conclude that this is the way the voters want it.

greg328, tritone and Texas Forever like this.
  9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #9 donv, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Actually, the funny part is that the vast majority of the people who took the "bereavement leave" were police officers!

The sad part is, Ted is the best Mayor Portland is likely to have for the forseeable future. And that's not a good thing. The people in line to replace him are all far worse.

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Isn't this just a case of the voters getting what they voted for? In Seattle too?
    I must be missing something here......:confused:

Texas Forever and donv like this.
  11. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    4 nights of riots in a row! Time for water cannons and force to end this destruction and criminal activity. Enough is enough!

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    4 nights? More like 30!

surfwolf likes this.
  13. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They will never use water cannons. They are afraid it will remind people of what they did to break up crowds in the south before the Civil Rights Act of 1964. For a couple of years in the early 60s in Coeur da'Alene they had "riots" after the hydroplane races. They brought out a fire engine with a cage over the nozzle operator (to protect from flying objects/bottles) and knocked the crowds over with water. Pretty effective. Took me a while to figure out why I never saw it used again.

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Heh. We know what news sources ol' Fat Billy Bob watches. haha. Six block area of Capitol Hill (and you really just have to know Cap Hill to understand) and people think the entirety of Seattle is up in flames.

Pacific Raceways is practically in a completely different country than Capitol Hill, which would be the racetrack typically considered when thinking Seattle. Same goes for The Ridge IMHO.

While I am in no way supportive of people taking over city blocks, cops retreating away from an area, people looting, or vandalizing, CHOP wasn't nearly as bad as some news sources made it out to be. I'm glad CHOP is over now though. It shouldn't have lasted as long as it did.

TAS37 and donv like this.
  15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    But you get a class c misdemeanor $1200 fine if you do not wear a mask or burn fireworks that fly. Rioting is OK!

of2worlds and surfwolf like this.
  16. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    PIR is fine, I live in happy valley 20 miles SE and it’s fine here. I personally avoid the city, especially after 7ish. Just don’t want to deal with the crap, but at least it has died down significantly.

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Sadly I agree.

surfwolf likes this.