Porsche Taycan | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Porsche Taycan

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Astrid.Didier, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I bet big discounts from jag plus tax credits too

Gh21631 likes this.
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not a fan of the Jag's exterior looks. But it's competitively priced. I just think they are not marketing it enough. The first time i saw one in the streets, i had no idea what it was vs Porsche flooding social media and youtube with their car.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was out to eat yesterday when I saw a white Taycan pull in the parking lot. I went outside introduced myself and asked the owner if I could take a look at it. He was more then friendly and even popped the door for a good from the driver’s seat point of view. All I can say is wow. It looks just like my Panamera on the inside, with really great quality materials. I was very impressed and the owner was very forthcoming with info. He told me he owned 2 Tesla’s before this and that there is absolutely no comparison with the fit and finish of the Taycan. It’s a true Porsche. My mind was already made up before I saw it that my Panamera lease will eventually give way to a Taycan lease and this just reinforced it.

photonut likes this.
  4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    why do people prefer this to Panamera hybrid?

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I like the idea of all E for my daily driver.

6. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Tesla will still fall to pieces after 3 years ask owners and see, they are not the same quality or have the same aftercare are Porsche so in my mind there is no comparison
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    If the Jag has the same infotainment/systems as the new range rovers i wouldn't touch it. My 2019 and 2018 RR have had so many issues with the infotainment i couldnt imagine having to deal with an electric car dependent on that system. the only way its usable is with carplay.

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I went to test drive the Taycan yesterday and here are my rather long winded thoughts on it and how it compares to my 2017 Tesla S P100D. The car I drove as a Taycan Turbo, it had the base 14 way seats and was missing the carbon ceramic brakes, the rear wheel steering and the dynamic chassis control. I was quite surprised that the demo car was missing those options, particularity the last two, which I've head make quite a difference. Even without those, it had a sticker price of $166k.

Out on the road the Taycan drove beautifully. The handling was awesome, it drove just exactly the way I want a car to drive. The Taycan weighs about 5000lbs but it didn't feel like it at all. The Tesla hides its weight extremely well, but this is a whole other level. I think alot of it is the seating position, its significantly lower in the Taycan. It was a bit cold and damp and the computers let it get sideways a nice bit.

The steering was a little disappointing. It wasn't bad, just nothing special. Brakes felt fine, nothing exciting, but it wasn't like I was on a track or anywhere I could really evaluate them. The car felt quite quick, however to my precisely calibrated butt dyno it felt a bit slower than my P100D. The thing I was happiest about though, was that I never felt the transmission shifting. Supposedly it shifts around 50mph, but I never felt it. This was something that I was worried about, as I hate automatic transmissions.

The interior of the car was disappointing. Based on what I'd read beforehand I was expecting something significantly better than the Tesla's interior. The design just felt way to busy to me, there were buttons and lights everywhere. Like whats the point of the analog clock on the dash? Does it really need to have a seconds hand that is rather distracting? The center console was huge and made the interior feel rather cramped. The interior materials were fine, but not any better than the on the Tesla. The headliners are both alcantara, and I prefer the nice real open pore Ash wood on my Tesla's dash to the sea of black on the Porsche. The styling on the Tesla is starting to feel a bit dated (it is 8 years old after all) but I didn't think this was an improvement.

The infotainment sucked too. There are two screens, but they are both pretty small. There is also this huge touchpad mouse kinda thing that seems pretty worthless. I'm no fan of touchscreens, but this thing seemed like all the downsides of a touch screen, without the positives of the dial system BMW uses. I understand that some people don't like the giant screen in the Tesla, but man it would be hard to go back to a small screen like that after being used to the Tesla.

The biggest issue I had with the car was the interior space though. I was expecting this to be on par with the size of say a 5-Series, but instead its really more like a 3-series. (note that this might be why it handles so well) I'm tall so I had the seat all the way back which did give me enough room, but there wasn't enough room in the backseat for kids let alone adults. The frunk (which I use all the time in my S) is laughable, and the trunk isn't particularly big either.

The range on the car is pretty terrible, it'll only do 200 miles (maybe 240 if some reports are to be believed). That combined with its lack of space and poor charging network means its not going to be a road trip car (particularly not with a family).

The real killer for the Taycan though is the price. To me its $50k more than it should be. If it was the same price as the Model S P100D, I might be able to forgive its lack of range, and its cramped interior. Surprisingly, this is actually where Porsche had originally priced it. When they first talked pricing, back in 2018 it was supposed to start at $75k. Now instead it starts at $105k for the slow 4S one. I was surprised to hear that at least on the east coast there are alot of allocations available, the dealer said I could get a delivery in June. I had heard they had 40k deposits and were only making 20k this year.

TLDR: The Taycan drives great, but its small and that Porsche badge comes at a very steep price.

stoked_7, x z8 and 95spiderman like this.
  9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    great review. Porsche will always be most expensive car in its segment and not always easy to see why. what do you think about 1 pedal driving in tesla v none in taycan?

10. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Its not completely lacking in regen on lift off, its just much more mild than on the Tesla. This time of year around here though, its cold enough around here that I frequently don't get a ton of regen on the Tesla so the difference wasn't that noticeable. I think it was a mistake for Porsche to do not let you have full 1 pedal driving though, however it can be pretty jarring in a Tesla when you don't have any regen available and you are expecting it.

11. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Chris Harris Drifts The Porsche Taycan Turbo S

12. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Jay Leno gets to road test the Porsche Taycan!

13. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
  14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  15. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Bill Gates just purchased a Taycan, he says it is his first electric car.

This was revealed in an interview conducted by a Tesla-focused YouTuber, which was slightly awkward. :D

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    My Turbo S just came in. Apparently there is an extensive brake bedding process that requires about 20 max runs and hard braking. Just how you want your new $200K+ car to be driven pre-deliverey. :)

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    MKBHD? Watched the same interview.

18. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    What are your thoughts on the car so far?

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Got rid of it after 3 weeks and bought a manual GT3.

RWP137, PTG1 and Borrow’d Mine like this.
  20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  21. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
  22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Couple more inches than the 'coupe' (sedan)..... you could just slouch!

sainthoo likes this.
  23. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Just saw this. Assuming you hated it?

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It drove well, looked great but the tech was just awful. Even the back up camera was a mess. I was really surprised at how poorly it was executed. I would possibly buy another if they upgraded the application and UI/UX in the car.

25. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Well that is disappointing. Did the flaws show up when test driving or only after living with it for a while? Oftentimes during a test drive it is hard to assess daily livability.

I would like to see one in person... loved some aspects of the Model X such as the UI and software, but despised other things - such as the cheap build quality. Was hopeful the Porsche would solve that. But it sounds like the inverse...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app