Porsche Taycan | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Porsche Taycan

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Astrid.Didier, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Very different products - apples and oranges. The Tesla is a plastic egg looking vehicle with and iPad mounted. The Porsche has an incredible fit and finish with very nice materials. The shape is very sporty as is the drive. The Tesla is just transportation no matter what you do to it.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    the euros are trying very hard to match tesla with jag, audi, mb, bmw, vw putting major efforts but to no avail. tesla is becoming like Kleenex.
    ive seen modded tesla s that look pretty sleek. like an audi rs7. and was told handles pretty good too. taycan is nice but I would prefer a pana hybrid or a tesla. how is Porsche going to put as many charge stations across country as tesla? wont happen

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They don't need to, there are other companies already doing this and from what I understand there is a universal adapter so you can use existing stations. Honestly I am not too informed on this but will learn more soon when I get my car.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    taycan is an awesome car but Porsche makes mistakes too. they went with steering wheel buttons instead of paddles for their initial pdk transmissions despite paddles being well established as the standard. they switched to paddles after few years. I think regen braking will be similar mistake. need to fix that even if charging stations are moot point.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The only company in the US that is trying to compete with Tesla for a charging network is Electrify America (Owned by VW/Porsche). The only reason they are doing that is because they were forced to from the Dieselgate settlement. I would very much worry what happens to that network after their commitment to it runs out.

They Taycan will be a great car if you have another car that you can use for road trips. For daily driving or weekend runs it'd be great, but if you want to go a multi-hour roadtrip, the Tesla with nearly double the range and a vastly better charging network is going to be vastly superior.

m5shiv, tritone and rob lay like this.
  6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its amazing to me how poorly the electric jag is selling. its a gorgeous car inside and out that has everything going for it but no one is buying them. the germans (other than taycan) are all ugly so I get why no one is buying them but the jag should be a hit.

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I wonder if the electric car will produce a paradigm shift in the auto industry. The old kings will go down, while new kings take over. In a decade, Ferrari, Porsche will no longer be the dream cars, but new brands will take over.

That said, I still love the Taycan.

m5shiv likes this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just checked their website, they seem to have a ton of charging stations.

Also, why can't you use the generic ones such as Volta?

9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The problem with all the other networks Volta/Chargepoint/Blink(in the US at least) is that they tend to be slow chargers that are only useful if there is one near your work/hotel. Even when they are fast they also tend to be poorly maintained and since they frequently only have one or two stalls so if it's broken or occupied you are out of luck.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

In my area they have many 3rd party chargers that appear to be working as I see cars plugged in all the time. I can't comment on the speed though. I wonder if Porsche will update software over time to improve range. I am not completely sold on the electric thing but figure I would give it a shot and getting one of the 1st Turbo S's if I dont like it I should be able to get out without too much if a hit.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im not ready to trust electric yet either but if I was going to venture into it I would definitely go with tesla as they are the market leader and creator for that matter.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    For now they are for sure and they have a very big lead but I have my doubts that will last too much longer. Time will tell.

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    idk, bmw, audi, jag, mb have been trying for few years and not getting anywhere. domestics don't even try and japan keeps electrics as niche city cars only. tesla has a huge lead and public is starting to associate them with electric cars like consumers did with jetski, Kleenex, jacuzzi, etc. that's not often achieved.

m5shiv likes this.
  14. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    New MB electric SUV (EQC) looks great.

15. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    #65 Astrid.Didier, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    The Porsche Taycan is way far luxurious car, the Tesla's interior is too cheep and the whole car is just a normal sedan and too ugly!

I can't compare them to each other only because they are both electric! They are so different in term of everything else!

photonut, JAM1 and Gh21631 like this.
  16. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It could happen to Ferrari but NOT to Porsche or Lamborghini, being part of the VW group, I can't see it happening, "too big to (let) fail"!!!

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    And they are just too smart and well managed.

18. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    I wouldn’t bet on it. The #1 Brand in the world (Ferrari), that is now a public company will respond differently than it has in the past. Different company from a decade ago. Besides, first isn’t always best, far from it. Many “fast followers” in business have done well. For all the lament over corporatization of Ferrari it may be what saves them. Besides, e-cars as we know them may not be the end game. Too much real estate between here and there for me to want to prognosticate.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tritone likes this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm referring to the VW Group. Ferrari will have different challenges in their segment.

20. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Yes. I was responding more to Dom’s note.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
  22. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Porsche Taycan Munich Premiere | Official Aftermovie

23. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Here's why the Porsche Taycan Turbo S is the ULTIMATE performance EV!

Borrow’d Mine likes this.
  24. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Porsche Taycan vs Tesla Model S Drag Race

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I did a test drive in the electric Jag, hands down better looking inside and out from the Teslas. Power was pretty darn good but probably over priced. I was guessing about 50k but they are more like 70k.