Porsche PPI in north Charlotte | FerrariChat

Porsche PPI in north Charlotte

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by UroTrash, Mar 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  2. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    BTW, I didn't make the interview, office posted patients at 10 AM so I had to bail. ☹️

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no personal experience, but apparently neither does anyone actually living in NC :p

don't you hate it when those pesky patients get in the way? sheesh.

5. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Autohaus Lake Norman. I personally know the guy that owns the shop. Bernard Tripp. He is EXCELLENT.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thank you gentlemen.

7. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Definitely take Karl's advice.

8. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    That looks like a nice example. Love the color combo.

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I contacted them.

Talked to the receptionist.

They will be fetching the car for a PPI but probably not until next week. :(

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I really like that car. Beautiful color. Hope it works out for you. You probably already know of the issues with the IMS bearing on that era Porsche, so I'd put a premium on one that had a replacement, preferably the LN bearing. We put one in my brother's Boxster as part of a clutch/flywheel replacement. Not much more additional work once you have everything apart for a standard clutch job. If the car has the factory bearing, I don't know that I'd run right out to do it just because, but I'd certainly plan on it at the next clutch change. If it's still on it's original clutch it's probably about time anyway. While you're at it you can install an upgraded rear main seal as well. Two birds with one stone. Keep us posted!

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMS isn't a problem on cars built after mid 06 MY so this car should be fine.

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    They still have an IMS bearing though correct? I know they updated the bearing at some point to supposedly a more robust unit, but I thought there were still some failures in the later model cars? I could be wrong. I know with the 911 the 997.2 in 2009 with the direct injection engine was the change point where they did away with the intermediate shaft design. I was thinking the boxster/cayman lagged that a year or two, but I admit I'm not as familiar with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

just a note: long time Porsche owner and have a home on the peninsula at lake norman. I have never heard of autohaus.

I would tell you to try exclusive...lou is an old friend and he has hired mike colucci (ex. brumos racing w/ history dating to peter perfect)

or black forest...john forbes

in any event, good luck with the car!!

best,

Peter

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    It appears Mike has a Cayman for sale as well. Yellow, lowered, more HP.

Thanks.

16. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Not the case. IMS is an issue that ended with MY 09

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    how many late 06-09 M96 engines have you seen fail due to IMS? Everything I've heard/seen is that the mid 06 upgrade brought failures to almost zero. certainly low enough that doing an LN upgrade isn't worth the money like it is on earlier cars.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    never mind, answered my own question.

19. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Mr Xxxxxx,

I have attached several documents for you to review. I will explain these for you.

The one labeled "987PPI" is a check sheet. It is self explanatory. Most items check out "good", front tires and front brakes are likely the first items that need replaced, further down the road.

The one labeled "VAL" is the Vehicle Analysis Log. It is a "snapshot" of everything on the car at that given moment. I'll explain the highlights.
    The right hand column on page 1 & 2 lists fault code numbers, they translate to low voltage. Very common to see, especially when there is now a new battery installed. You can disregard those fault codes.
    Page 28 shows fuel adaptations (FRAU and FRAO). Ideal is 1.00 and with readings of 0.998 and 1.00, they are perfrect. This usually shows out of spec with vacuum leaks, MAF sensor issues, High/Low fuel pressure. When the number is ideal like that, it usually indicates things are running well.
    Page 54 shows the camshaft deviations. Anything over +/- 4.0° is a red flag. Yours measured Bank 1: 0.7031° and Bank 2: 1.653°. Cam deviations show timing chain stretch and chain guide wear. Low numbers like yours are good.
    Lastly, on page 56 are the infamous "ignition counters". You have no instances in ranges 3-6 and very low counts in 1 & 2, which is VERY GOOD. Range 1 is 7500 RPMs and Range 2 is 7700 RPMs.

Others things worth noting: Crank case pressure was 3.6"/H2O. Spec is under 6". This gives a general state of condition on the Air/Oil Seperator (AOS). You are in a good range.

Carpets are dry under the foam padding, no signs of water leakage.

Brake pad sensors are not installed into pads, instead, are zip tied to strut. This means you won't get an indication that the pads are worn. A reputable shop will install new sensors with pad service.

Tires are mismatched. Sumitomos up front are 50% tread and Continentals in the rear are new.

Lastly are two paint issues. Front bumper shows evidence of being painted on car. Attached picture shows left over masking tape and over spray on right side headlamp gasket. The other issue is the left rear quarter panel (see attached picture). It appears somebody tried to polish out a scratch and went past the clear coat.

Other pictures attached are the oil sump (spotless) and inside the oil filter (also spotless). The oil filter was new, so the fact that it was clean gives very little meaning, but the oil sump tells the rest of the story. As chains, bearings and guide rails start to fail, all the evidence goes into the sump. The sump doesn't appear to have been tampered with, so the picture you see is a good representation of the internals.

I hope this info finds you well and we appreciate your business.

Feel free to email me back if you have any other questions.

Please note our new address!

Bernard Tripp
    Autohaus Lake Norman
    Authorized Bosch Car Service
    7870 Commerce Dr
    Denver, NC 28037
    704-966-0466www.AutohausNC.com

20. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    All systems go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I called and offered $27,500, out the door. That does not include taxes because I'm in a different state. I will let them consider that.

I think that's more than fair. If they don't take it, they are out of luck. They will get only one bite at The Apple.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think that's a more than reasonable offer. good luck!

23. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You get it next year for $30k.