Poll on Major Service Costs for Mondial in 2012 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Poll on Major Service Costs for Mondial in 2012

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Apr 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, Willie pulled it off but, just to be clear, he's a captain of a different kind of ship (ocean-going).

Thanks for the typo correction, Mike. I still had time to fix it.

2. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ditto Rob..."times 10"

My mule has been the test mule for many of Dave's upgrades. If anyone out there wants to know if the price of these "transforming" fixes are worth it just give me a holler. I would be happy to discuss it with you.

3. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mike,
    Dealer is recommending a valve adjustment as part of the major.
    Appears it has never been done on the car, for the uniformed what does this do exactly and what are the benefits?
    Thanks!,
    Greg

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #104 soucorp, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Hi Greg,

The valve adjustment is the clearance between the rocker arm and the cam shaft. If the clearance is too tight the cam could be opening too soon or not closing all of the way. Same goes if its too loose. It could be opening late and not to the correct lift reducing power. Both affects how smooth the engine is running and could very easily affect gas mileage and power. Read more in detail: http://www.howacarworks.com/engine/checking-and-adjusting-valves

Its more money for the dealer to make from you, but if you dont do it, its not going to break anything. Also, you can do a valve adjustment with the engine in for the QV and 3.2 and I believe the T as well. So should you have the dealer do it, depends on how much and if that will be worth it to you to pay now or it can wait until later.

Best,

Mike

5. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Great article and info. thanks Mike!

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If valves get too tight it is possible they won't completely close and exhaust valves can burn. Bad.

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    How much is a major for a 1987 3.2 Monidal in 2020.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #108 Rifledriver, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Whose major? Whats included...in detail. There are no two the same. I am in the business and I have given up trying. Prices have little correlation to the quality or extent of the job.

I do not believe in skipping around from shop to shop. Take it to your usual guy.