Poll: GT4 or Mondial? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

1. 308 GT4

2. Mondial

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - The Mondial is a stretched styling exercise on a 308GTB as is the 308 GT/4 is a stretched styling exercise on the X1/9. Those were the looks popular at Pininfarina and Bertone at the time - Sergio kept the legacy 'Pininfarina wave curve' and Nuccio was into wedges.

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Agree also with birdman above, that the Mondial is actually a very elegant solution to the problem of a mid-engined 2+2.

I think GT4 owners in general tend to be defensive about their cars, since so many "look down" on them (search the old ferrarichat threads, and recently the one about getting no respect...). In the Ferrari hierarchy, the GT4 is probably considered at the bottom, with the mondial just slightly higher. You Mondial guys got it good...

Can't we all just get along? :)

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Just collect the entire set and be happy...

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Not all of us have wives as understanding about these sorts of things as you! ;)

I agree with Dom that some GT4 owners seem a little defensive in their love of their cars, which is easy to understand given the past prejudice against them. They are really cool looking in person.

But so is a Mondial.

My point is that it is not neccesary to insult someone else's car when extolling the virtues of your own. It works a lot better to say "I prefer the lines of the GT4 to those of the Mondial" than to say "That Mondy just looks odd from the side view, as if it was stretched to fit the back seats - wait it was!"

Birdman

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    A Ferrari collection and an understanding wife. I guess I can die happy now...

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    After you die happy now, could you have her call me... there still maybe time for me.
    :)

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    :)

I'm pretty sure she's not willing to house train another one...

8. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    I have to say I'm really surprised at the results of this thread....At its beginning, I would have never guessed the GT/4 would have even come close in votes to the Mondial.

When I worked at an F Car dealership in the mid-80's to early 90's, the GT/4 was the "goat" of the Ferrari world. While the Mondial (at the time) was probably the least-liked among the newer Ferraris, the GT/4 wasn't even in the same category. For a variety of reasons (extremely rough ride, angular styling etc.), 99% of the people working there, as well as clients, didn't give a GT/4 any reasonable consideration.

That being said, over the last several years, there appears to have been a dramatic change in the way people look at the GT/4; likewise, even with my earlier feelings about the cars, I have started to really like them myself. Also, as a Ferrari "investment" (due to their lower prices), they're probably among the best for percentage-wise appreciation potential.

Without exception, I still prefer Pininfarina's styling over Bertone's, but I'm really starting to have a new appreciation for a car that I once would have never considered...........All you GT/4 owners: keep up the good work of preserving the nice cars you have and/or restoring those suitable candidates!

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

I'm on the hunt for a nice Mondi cab.
    Bird is right about one thing, if GT4 guys haven't driven one, I have to tell you the cab is a pretty cool car. The first thing you notice when you get in are the thickness of the doors. They're massive!
    I haven't driven a coupe, but the cab....woo hoo!

Hope my above comment wasn't seen as one, it sure wasn't supposed to be

Yep, very different car. My GT4 feels sporty and a bit raw, while the mondi felt a bit more "comfy" and utilitarian (not the right word but I couldn't think of another one). If this makes sense I'd wear a suit and tie and go have dinner in the mondi. Its jeans and a polo in the GT4.

10. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Mondial is more practical.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    And many will say: "A Ferrari is not supposed to be practical." And I will say that I drive our Mondial a lot more than our 308 because it is more practical!

12. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    My Mondial was always a Ferrari! She was stunning in silver but still far from low key. The Tubi announced her grand arrival and departure, yet I enjoyed the fact that I have carried my whole family (small children:)) in her on ice cream runs in the summer. I will likely get another one, perhaps as a cabrio.

I also like the GT/4 (more raw and nimble), but think that it was improved upon by the MD for the aspects which suited my personal needs.

Btw, Birdman, just saw your profile: what a beautiful silver MD you have...also a QV (one of @1250 ever made!)...makes me miss mine.:(

13. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Perhaps this pole just reflects what people own. Right now it is about 50/50.

I wonder how many voted FOR the car they own or owned (I did) vs. how may voted AGAINST the car they own?

How many have or have had both and if so, which one would you choose?

I had thought that if I had found a $15,000 Mondail I would probably be fixing that up now, instead of the GT4. However, my GT4 experience has been really great and wonder if the Mondail would be as fun to drive (ie no Webers).

14. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    GT/4 definitely more fun to drive than all other members of the 308 series.

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Thanks man! It's actually light blue. Really pretty color.

Birdman