Poll: GT4 or Mondial? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

1. 308 GT4

2. Mondial

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    There are also made about 300 208GTB and GTS with 155 bhp (NO TURBO)

These must be the slowests Ferrari's ever!!

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    The 3.2 Mondials are pretty nice and I would take one of those over a GT4. A cabriolet Mondial isn't for me but I would have to say that a cabrio Mondial will appreciate a lot more. GT4s are a lot of fun though....

3. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I can't lie.... My vote goes to the GT4. :D

4. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
  5. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Obviously I'm biased... but GT4 is the answer, although a 3.2 soft-top may be next on my list.

I looked at both GT4's and QV's two years ago, much as I like Mondials there isn't the sense of occasion that you're driving somthing realy special. I agree with the view on the rectangular drivers console and thick padded seats of the Mondial.... don't do it any favours IMO.

6. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    Though I voted for the 308GT4 becasue I like them better for many reasons, I think I sit right on the fence here, becasue I put a 3.2 Mondial motor into my 308GT4!

7. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i'd like to rescind my vote from july or august (i can't tell because of retarded american dates) 2004, and say that i'd unequivocally take a GT4 over a mondial.

that is all.

8. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Grahame.... how much quicker was it? I'd imagine quite abit faster than a regular Mondial 3.2? (partial h-jk only... helps to answer Dan's claim)

9. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    Hi Richard,
    I think the increase is 6% hp for stock motors, from 255hp to 270hp, but I also ditched the 328 motor's k-jetronic injection and fitted electronic sequential injection, all controlled by a MoTec. It is now a much stronger motor right through the rev range compared to a stock 328 motor, and in the GT4's lighter body, it is a quick car. I will be making some exhaust system changes soon that I hope will be much more efficient and whhen implemented I will dyno the thing again and see what output I have. So in many ways it is a great compromise between the GT4 and the Mondial, but I do miss the carbie induction noise! But whatever, I love the 308GT4 Bertone body and would choose it over the Mondial body any day!
    Cheers,
    Grahame

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I went the other way and put carbs on the Mondial because it really is a superior daily piece over a GT 4 just because of the technology and practicality. Cool - we ought to get our cars together - I would sure like to have her back in Europe again.
    :)

11. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    Look at the interiors, GT4 traditional guages, clean and easy. Mondial contemporary guages which are hooky in my opinion.
    Ease of maintenance- GT4 YOU can work on it, minimal amount of electronics, pop up headlights and windows. Carbs
    Mondial is a more modern car with many electrical aspects. EFI, yuck.
    GT4 is what a ferrari is supposed to be, a real mans drivers car. Not coddling! Mondial is to refined, built for the masses and hence more user friendly for average Joe.

The Mondial is less a sports car also due to increased weight and size. Put the GT4 back to euro specs and get even more.

Two different anumals due to time of design. 70's vs 80's.

Design of Mondial is also boring and heavy, especially the early black band cars. GT4 has many design nuances which are interesting and harmoniously melded together. The US specs bumpers after thoughts don't apply, Fronts are just plain UGLY!!

Cal

12. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    GT4s are just in front :D

13. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Grahame,

Thanks for the information.... it sounds like you have the ultimate collaboration between GT4 and Mondial (if you ignore the convertables). I'll keep and eye out for the figures when you post them. (for a yardstick... my euro Series 2 GT4 did a 15.79sec 1/4 mile a Brighton Speed Trials last year)

Cheers.
    Richard

14. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005

GT4 has classical and unique lines, the mondial is not aesthetically appealing nor does it handle as well.. GT4:)

15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Love the Pinninfarina design of the Mondy... but then I would ;)

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    wrong on all counts... :)

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You think a Mondi will handle better than a GT4?

BaWaa Hahaha
    Oh you silly boy

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    GT4 pwns the Mondy, pure and simple. Better collectibility and appreciation certain for a good car; simpler design and mechanicals too. Mondy's are an acquired taste despite their better performance potential. That Mondy 3.4t is the sweetest, but GT4 is where it's at. Yes, I know I defected to the 355 clan, but my heart is always with the GT4's.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Oh how expected is the usual non grown-up response from the GT/4 crowd.... :)
    While I am not going to stoop to disparage, I will say that the Mondial is the widely recognized better engineered solution to the mid engine 2+2 requirement, the best ever, and most contemporary professional road tests showed it handled and rode better with the longer wheelbase than the 308s. The styling and engineering is much more subtle and elegant than other 'look-at-me' Ferraris, and apparantly requires more sophisticated folks to appreciate it... :) While I love gt4s as well, the Mondial is more successful as a real automobile the way Ferraris used to be.
    I 've been in both, and the choice was quite clearly the Mondial for my requirements - they really are quite different cars.

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You know, I have noticed one thing as a common thread in this thread.

Mondial owners are very gracious about the GT4 and for the most part, even the Mondi guys that don't dig the funky styling of the GT4 generally say nice things about it.

On the other hand, the GT4 dudes who are not into Mondials tend to just throw insults and say the Mondial is ugly, or slow, or some other insult. I'm betting most of them have never even SEEN a Mondial in person nevermind driven one.

The Mondial is a different kind of car than the GT4. The GT4 is like a 911 in that it is really a 2 seater with some rudimentary back seats so they could call it a 2+2. Hell, they even made it without back seats for the people who knew they were useless! The Mondial was designed to actually have PEOPLE in the back seats and it's a whole different ball game in design. Given the design restraints on the Mondial (a real 2+2, mid-engine, a trunk, etc.) it is a remarkable design. Will it handle as well as the GT4? How could it? That's like saying the 612 sucks because it doesn't handle as well as the 599. Or the 456 sucks because it doesn't handle as well as the 550, or look as good.

I dig GT4 styling, even though it's weird. But even if I didn't I wouldn't come on here and tell other enthusiasts that I think their ride is ugly. No class.

Rant over.

Birdman

21. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    DITTO

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    There is nothing weird about GT4 styling. At least it looks balanced. That Mondy just looks odd from the side view, as if it was stretched to fit the back seats - wait it was!

23. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I'll say it again: You can't go wrong with either car.

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    1+

25. eldorado

eldorado Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy Cox
    I don't (yet) own a ferrari, nor have I even been in one, but I would think that the GT4 is a representation of what Ferrari is all about (uncomprimising road cars descended from race cars), no? I may be misinformed, but wasn't the transverse v8 in the GT4 origionally designed to contest the 70's rally scene, sort of carry on were the transverse v6 (Lancia Stratos [and Dino 246]) left off, before that program fell apart? The Mondial , on the other hand seems to be a car "The Old Man" would have appreciated more. Did he not have a 330 2+2 as a daily driver? The two cars (mondial and GT4) seem to be very different animals, one a true sports car and one a great tourer...