Police test hi-tech zapper that could end car chases | FerrariChat

Police test hi-tech zapper that could end car chases

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tfazio, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I ran across this article on the drudgereport.com Very interesting article. I don't remember reading about this type of technology before. This technology is still a long time away and who knows if it would actually be used. I wonder if any permanent damage would occur to a vehicle that got zapped.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,2763,1259138,00.html

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I guess it could fry the ECU. My primary concerns would be hitting only the vehicle intended and making sure it slowly, safely, comes to a stop.

3. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    What do you expect? It's England. They think their police should try to stop cars like they try to stop people.

4. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    It sounds like the unit is big and bulky. Sheer size may keep it from being adopted by many police forces.

5. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

The article says the device is being developed in California, Berkeley, and is being made for the US Marine Core (good) and the Los Angeles police department (bad).

Exactly what kind of damage will this have on the car? Will it destroy the CPUs and require replacements/re-loading? Exactly what kind of effect does that much charge flying through the air have on the person in the car? How narrow is the beam? That article leaves a lot of questions that need to be answered before we can really form a valid opinion about it.

6. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Could it be adapted to knock out the excessively loud stereo systems some rude drivers abuse? If so, I want one.

7. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Oh really? Hmm...

I had better save that points distributor off the dart. ;)

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I'm trying to fit a n oil tank under my cars. Did you ever watch a Batman cartoon? When you go into a turn, pull the lever, and WHAMO! Na na na na na na na NA NA! I'm also looking at round little metal pieces with metal spikes in them. :p

9. Dr.Bleed

Dr.Bleed Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nathan E. K.
    I doubt those things will ever make it into use... What would end up happening is you'ed see a few of them slip through onto the black market. Then criminals could use them on police cars, to hijack big rigs in the middle of no where, let alone other countries getting a hold of that and trying to use it on our military equipment. The problem with stuff like that is that if one side (the police) get a hold of it, its only a matter of time before the bad guys get a hold of it.

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

The thing about electronics is that they keep getting smaller and smaller. So this thing is too large now, wait a year or two. When they get to be hand held, time to use a little lead around the car's electronics.

Art