Please Help | FerrariChat

Please Help

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mondialqves, Dec 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    I've been reading the discussions since long time but now I have a problem on my QV so I ask for your help for first time:

If I turn on the lights these happens: the Parking light comes on instead of the headlight indicator. Also, the fuse for the dashboard's lights and the license plates lights burns. So, I have no license plates lights, side lights or front fog lights.
    I have checked all the bulbs and rear license plates lights and are OK. I have checked disconnecting all and still keeps burning the fuse.
    Day flashing is not working too.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    sounds like you need a new fuse box

3. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Try taking out the various relays and white wire connectors on the fuse box, swap out the relays for the things that are not functioning for another relay (there are three relays of the same type in the fuse box that can be swapped to work for different lights (low beam high beam and flash), and a different one for external lights (just remove and see if other things function better), in my Swiss 3.2 check your owners manual for your relay map for a QV), clean things up with electrical contact cleaner and look at the connectors for signs of blackening and such. Reinstall the bits using Deoxit contact enhancer on the relays and connector pins, and see how it goes. Worth inspecting carefully and cleaning before going for a new fuse box.

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Very common. Check all affected wiring for bad ground. Start with the license plate lights

6. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Thank you. I will check today and let you know

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe that these two things might be naturally related -- i.e., the wiring architecture on models of the same era is such that if that fuse is blown (or removed), it (wrongly) causes the the parking light indicator bulb to illuminate when the stalk knob is turned "on". (Unfortunately, with the demise of ferraridatabase, I can't double-check that.)

What might be more important here is that the +12V wires going to the rear license plate bulbs are not shorted/melted to the exhaust system -- have you checked this?

8. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Results: have changed the relays, clean them with contact cleaner, same with the white wires connectors in the fuse box. no sign of any blackening at all. Have cleaned the ground connections in the front to the chasis too. Disconnected front fog lights and rear licence plate lights are also disconnected from the connection in the boot. no signs at all of melting. Have cleaned too the fog switch......and still burning the fuse...
    Dont know what else to do...

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Suggest to take apart your stalk switch and make sure that the wires are soldered (top and bottom) and nothing is shorting

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I was thinking the same thing.......
    I know Verell fixes them if need be.

11. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    I will try today and let you know

12. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Stalk switch is in perfect condition on both sides....I have disconnected, as i said, the rear license plates lights, may be they need to be connected to test?
    Please advise any other ideas

13. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    STOP!!!!!!! Before you do more damage.

You need to find the short first. I have fixed quite a few messed up Mondial Lighting systems and honestly this can be a rather confusing system. Do you have a wiring diagram? A multimeter, test light, probe tester.

Some items in the system are switched on the ground circuit and others on the power side.

Don't just start pulling relays ect. - they typically don't cause fuses to blow.

14. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    I do have multimeter, test light and probe tester. Do not have the wiring diagram, where can I get it?
    I remain waiting for your advise

15. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Is this valid?
    Wiring Diagrams Mondial QV Euro Version | How a Car Works

16. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
  17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Need to find the short.

18. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
  19. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    What do you mean by the "short"?

20. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    There is a short circuit somewhere causing a high current resulting in a bown fuse. I will look into the schematics this evening to see if I can give some instructions.

21. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Thank you very much! I appreciate it very much!

22. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Can you tell me the number of the fuse which burns? Does the fuse also burns if you switch off all the lights? If you have no license plate lights then you probably don't have stop lights as well.

23. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    #23 FamilyCar, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car has the same general problem, although it does not blow fuses. I can tell you what I know, although the fuse issues is somewhat different so all I can offer is some insight on what I've found. My car is also a 3.2, but I think the systems are quite similar.

What those lights have in common is that they are all fed from the same connection on the fuse panel. On my car, the female connection in the white plastic block had melted down. See photo. I repaired that, and it worked for a few days before it quit again. I took the fuse panel apart and determined that the track on the PC board had burned up between the fuse and the spade connection when power started going through it again--both areas were weak so fixing one just caused the next to fail.

The connection in question is located on connector J, terminal 3. It is the lower of the two horizontal connections on the driver's side of the fuse panel. There aren't too many connections on this block--there are two wires, a pink one and a larger pink and white one. First, you could disconnect it and see if power is coning from the board by checking it at the spade connection. On the attached photo, the pen is pointing at it. If there is power there, the problem is in the wiring going to all the lights. On my car, the initial fix was that the wiring on the block side was cooked at the point of connection to the terminal block.

With the more recent failure, I have determined that the problem is on the board. That can be verified by connecting a power source to the wiring connection on the block and seeing if the lights turn on. I suppose if there were a bad short this could cause problems, but if the source is fuse protected you should be OK.

A few other notes: There are multiple grounds on these wiring paths so they wouldn't all go down together, or at least it is unlikely. The park indicator light has hot to both sides, so that when both circuits are energized it goes off.

I hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    oops, wrong photos. FYI that's Plaza Botero in Medellin, Colombia, where we just were. Here is the fuse panel

25. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall