Please Help Me Find Chassis 21277 308 GTB | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Please Help Me Find Chassis 21277 308 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Oct 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    This has been dormant for awhile but I feel there hasn't been closure. Did the restoration get finished? Was the restoration back to original or has it been modified? Has Dr.Tommy had a chance to reunite with the car? Has the current owner decided to sell the car or has the owner and Dr. Tommy become BFF's?

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I haven't forgotten about this. I will look into some things next week and keep this thread informed

3. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    This should be a reality show

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    please post when you have an update, I too was wondering what happened with this situation.

5. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    Any update Dr. Tommy?

6. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think we all can’t wait for Tommy to say “Now you know the rest of the story”. (Paul Harvey 1918-2009) :)

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Honestly, I am a little afraid to call and ask if I can come see it. The thrill of finding it was so huge that I am afraid he is going to say no.

I need to man up and do this...

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Come on up to Toronto Tommy. Lots of Ferrari guys here in the city. You'll be more than welcome.

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Tremendous thread. Perhaps the best on Fchat I have encountered. Glad you guys resurrected it from the dust.

Dr. TC, wow man, that is a touching story and I hope you at least get to go sit your arse in that seat again and close your eyes and go back to your childhood and then open them again and realize you are sitting in the car that made it all happen.

If it were mine I would seriously consider selling it to you, but I am not sure of how much love he has for it so if he doesn't than take the happiness with you that you found it and can always put a request in that if he ever does sell that he contact you first!

Best of luck and keep us informed.

MB

10. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
  11. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    How the heck have I missed this thread until now??? Great read!!

PDG

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

12. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just curious, regarding the purchase date from FAF, could it possibly have been as late as 79 or early 80? I ask because I was treated to a very entertaining ride around Atlanta in an identical yellow/black GTB sometime around then. Of course, simply because FAF sold it does not mean it was a local car.

13. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just thought of this thread, which - I IMHO - is the most awesome and hair-raising post I've yet read here, and wondered if there was any resolution. Did Tommy get to go see his dream car? Will the owner trade/sell it to him? This story is just begging for a Hollywood ending...

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It was actually bought, used, in Jackson Mississippi. I have had some gaps filled in since I started this thread. That was one small mistake on my part.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was actually contacted by a production company that wants to do a story on this for a cable show they do on reuniting people with former cars (like the Pappa John pizza guy). I said sure but they had better contact the current owner instead of asking me. That was about 6 weeks ago. Hadn't heard anything back yet.

16. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow how cool would that be! Good luck with that, hope it works out for you. Would love to watch something like that.

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have a car in my history that did the same for me. A 77 GTB in dark blue, no idea which blue. No way to get the VIN, but if I did, I'd sell the 328 for it.

Good luck Tommy.

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Best thread ever.

The fact that a person here can pinpoint the exact moment, car, and time in their life 'when it all started' alone is amazing, but to find that very car again some 30+ years later is astonishing. Way to go

19. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I would probably never be able to track down the first Ferrari I ever saw. I can still picture the moment I saw it though, and even the next few cars I saw after that.

I am still interested in following this story and sincerely hope that the TV production company can follow up with this - I would LOVE to see this happen!!!

PDG

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #95 jimpo1, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm going to repost something I put in the Owners forum a while ago. It seems appropriate here. Owners: take note.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'd been combing what is left of my memory banks in hopes I could actually recall the year of that yellow GTB encounter. I now believe it was probably in '81. Oh well, I had to wonder.

Anyway, I haven't forgotten how fun it was . . .

22. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    That is very cool !

23. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    +1000!

24. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Bump the coolest thread ever!! Any updates Doc? One of my good buddies is "in like Flynn" with the producers of A&E, I'd be happy to set up a chat with you guys if you want! :)

25. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #100 Owens84QV, May 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So...I had to go and dig up a picture of "the" 308 that lit the spark for me. I was at a "new car" auto show in Columbus, Ohio in 1986, but the car on the floor was a 1985 308. I just stood there mesmerized. I remember thinking "a Ferrari in the flesh"...it was the first one I'd ever seen.

I have no idea of the VIN, but would it be wonderful to know where this car is today!

From that moment, I was hooked. I still find it unbelievable I own one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login