Plantar Fasciitis | FerrariChat

Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by msdesignltd, May 31, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Heel Pain..comes and goes..

I think I got it from Tread mill excessive speeds, dont know for sure,
    could also have gotton it from walking distances in hard shoes..

How do any of you deal with it..??

2. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I slept in a special boot. Went to a Podiatrist.

MDS

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    stretching and ice. Take a water bottle, pour a little out to accommodate expansion, and put it in the freezer. Roll your foot over it twice per day.

I ended up getting orthodic inserts for my running shoes which helped short term until I weened myself off of them.

stretching and icing I still do.

4. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thats water bottle idea sounds just right

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I suffered from plantar fasciitis for nearly two years before I managed to get rid of it.

The real cure only came from stretching, deep massage of the calf muscles a couple of times a day, and wearing the Strassburg sock at night: The Strassburg Sock "This easy to use, inexpensive and comfortable device is designed to keep tension on the plantar fascia so it heals in a stretched position at night".

Those are the keys - there's a lot of info on the sock website, and it all fits with the real solutions I've read while trying to get rid of my PF.

Orthotics are band-aids that are actually counter-productive to the long-term requirements to get rid of PF - you need stronger muscles in your feet, and when you put a cast around a muscle, it gets weaker, not stronger. The symptoms of PF are in the feet - the cause and cure are in the lower leg, not the foot.

I suffered from PF in 2007 through 2008. I took up running in 2009, and adopted the minimalist style (not quite barefoot running). I've run 6 marathons since then. Once or twice a year I get a foot ache that indicates an imminent recurrence of PF - I wear the sock for a couple of nights, and resume extra calf stretches and deep calf massages. On each occasion, the imminent PF has disappeared.

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I suffered greatly from Plantar Fasciitis a few years ago. I did the steroid shots, orthotics, night boot, exercises, etc.) Then I realized there is no such thing as Plantar Fasciitis!!! Do the research, the theory doesn't hold water. Forget about the x-ray. Once you realize that a debilitating injury simply isn't there, the pain goes away. What happened? You hurt your foot and it needs to heal on its own, no different than any other booboo.

Suggested Reading:

Born to run by Christopher McDougall
    Healing Back Pain by Dr. Sarno
    The Divided Mind by Dr. Sarno

It is best to avoid heel strikes, but run any way you want to and with any shoe.

Best of luck,

Dave

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Brutal times. Especially in the morning.

Best thing I did was throw out shoes which weren't doing their job, despite their claims & get others which do great, like Arial Boots.

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Calf and gastrocnemius stretching several times a day. Avoid any new or recently increased activity until it gets better. Night splints that k eep your foot on slight dorsiflexion while sleeping are not comfortable but have been proven to help the condition,especially the am pain. If this doesn't help over time then I would see a foot and ankle MD who is trained in PRP injections and would consider getting this done.

9. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
  10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Or, one could read the books I mentioned in post number 6 and get their life back to normal in two weeks.

I asked my podiatrist how long I would be in orthotics, he said two years minimum. Night splint. The rest of my life. To me that didn't make sense. I met a runner who turned me on to Born to Run and I then threw everything away. I was back running right away and after a month I was mostly pain free.

Ten years ago I suffered from back pain. I read dr Sarno's Healing Back Pain and was pain free in two weeks. No trouble since. It was my wife that noticed my gait had changed after the PF and suggested I read Dr. Sarno's Divided Mind. He said in one chapter "there is nothing wrong with your foot" speaking of PF. My mind jumped to everything I had learned about back pain and my foot hasn't hurt since.

Please don't discount this stuff. It changed my life for less than $100. My x-ray shows classic PF with the heel bone spur and all and yet I fixed it by changing my stride (to reduce the chance of a temporary injury) and by following Dr. Sarno's advise to completely get rid of the chronic pain.

Dave

11. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Orthotics do the job for me. If I don't wear them for a week or so, I can feel the pain again.

12. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I actually cured my heart palputations this way
    Its when u realize nothing is wrong...
    It goes away
    I am switching to nike running shoes
    They are so comfortable
    They will cure me

13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    All reasonable replies. I taped my foot every day during workouts (you create an "artificial arch" out of athletic tape). It allowed me to run through the PF, and it gradually got better. Also, when one foot or another gets "tweaky" (meaning it feels like the beginnings of PF) I can tape for a day or two and it goes away. Would it go away anyway--maybe. Placebo effect--maybe that as well. I don't care though cause it works, and taping really doesn't have much in the way of dangerous downsides.

S

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Arch taping helps a number of conditions including PF, over pronation, posterior tibalial tendonosis among other conditions. In medicine, we must keep in mind that everyone is different and what works in one instance may not work in another.

15. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I developed plantar fasciitis overnight several years ago. I was like WTF is this going on w/ my foot? Tried stretching when I got up but got bored – same w/ frozen water bottle. Could not avoid walking or standing at work so just started wearing running shoes or hiking boots every day. After many months it just gradually went away & has not bothered me since. Threw fashion statement shoes out the window and now prefer comfort. Anything goes with scrubs!

16. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I had a case about 4 years ago. Hurt a lot, particularly when I woke up and started walking. I 'treated" it by wearing comfortable shoes, walking less while recuperating, and stretching as much as I could. It was gone in about 3 weeks.

BTW, Eli Manning had it about 3 seasons back. He had to leave early in a few games (it didn't affect his consecutive start streak though), and then he was cured. There may be some writeups about how he cured his case.

17. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK its been 4 months now off the tread mill, at least at high impact speeds, Leaning towards eliptical machine now, although I will never like it as much..
    wearing Nike running shoes everywhere now..
    Pain is gone, Thank G...
    just got lazy with aerobic though, need a new angle on aero heart health..

18. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I use to have it. Took the covers off the bottom of my bed that were holding my feet in a down position and changed my daily shoes to a very high line lace up New Balance low cut boot - almost like a high top basketball shoe. That was nearly 5 years ago never had it come back again.

19. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The common thread appears to be Nike running shoes..
    They are incredible.

20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    :confused: ?? Gershwin said New Balance, not Nike. I just looked through the posts in here - the only mention of Nike has been from you, in several posts. 1 person - does that really constitute a common thread, just because it's repeated a few times by the same person?

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

There, now the common thread here appears to be that Beetlejuice cures plantar fasciitis.

:D

21. ciphrasummam

ciphrasummam Rookie

Jan 24, 2013
    Midwest
    use a golf ball. Place it on the ground on a hard surface, put your foot on top of it and use it to deep tissue massage. Stretch your calves and Achilles daily. Give it a week or two. I fought it for nearly 6 months, it getting progressively worse. Could hardly stand in the morning. I have no issues or symptoms now, just stretch my calves once a day.

22. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As someone who treats this daily, I can tell you that the pathology is all too real. Nearly 38% of all patients with a complaint of "foot pain" ends up being plantar fascial or heel pain. There are variants, including calcaneal burtsitis, neutitic pain, medial calcaneal nerve entrapment, achilles tendon pain, plantar fascitis, and plantar fasciosis, calcaneal stress fractures, pathologic fractures due to cysts, tarsal tunnel syndrome, and others that cause heel pain. Calcaneal spurs are found in nearly 46% of the population normally, but about 4% of people with heel pain is the pain due to the actual bony projection if it is fractured, avulsed etc. I have hundreds of MRIs that so bone marrow edema, fascial thickening, hypertrohy, fascial tears etc, so please dont tell me that the theory holds no water as I have hundreds of OBJECTIVE findings consistent with injury. Treating the at home mom to professionals, NFL, College and elite level amateur atheletes there is no one size fits all approach.
    Stretching of the calf and hamstring will help about 88% of people with some level of pain relief, orthotic support, ice, physical therapy (estim, ultrasound, photophoresis) can all help. Oral NSAIDS, Steroids, injections all have benefits. ECSW (extra corporeal shock wave) has been helpful, and in about 200 cases done here, about 16% of my patients required further treatments. I have been doing PRP for the last year, and in over 90 cases of heel pain, only one has gone on to surgical correction. I think that the system by arteriocyte is the best on the market, there are others, but the reasons I suggest that one is way beyond the scope of this topic. I stopped doing ECSW due to patient cost of the machine becoming too high.
    I take a stepwise approach and make sure the diagnosis is correct, most of my practice is secondary referral and there are a LOT of people misdiagnosed with plantar fascitis just because the heel hurts. Get an opinion or a couple, surgery is saved for about 12 people in 100 that fail all conservative therapy. With PRP and ECSW available, I believe that the surgical numbers will decline. That being said, I have operated on one heel, done a PRP injection and injected steroid in about 10, and have an ex-NFL player in the hospital with a multiple cyst fractured heel bone this week already so there is a lot of variability.
    I have no serious objection to rest, reduction of obesity is HUGE, meditation, garlic, rolling marbles in your mouth if it works for you, but make sure that you get the proper diagnosis before you embark on treatment.

23. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 msdesignltd, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Ok.. My Humble Apologies, I have been advised by so many to wear sneakers, I took a leap and misquoted some info.. My Bad..

I do give my condolences to you , I am afraid that by reading these posts you have contracted a new disease, similar yet much more painful,
    That is..........Anal retentive fasciitis..
    I guess you know where you can stick it now.

24. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Was a joke, son, thus the smiley. Maybe the PF pain is making you ornery. How about we stick it in your shoe, lots of people find orthotics help with PF relief. :) ;) :p

(That's another joke.)

Best of luck with your PF. For what it's worth, my earlier post in this thread indicated that for me, permanent relief came from stretching, and wearing minimalist shoes that strengthened my feet, rather than big cushy sneakers that coddled the foot like a cast and allowed the foot muscles to get weaker instead of stronger as needed. (That's not a joke)

25. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    FWIW, Manning swears by Muscle Activation Technique (MAT). I have found that some MAT exercises,
    combined with minimal padding shoes with greater flexability does the trick for me. I second reading Born to Run. It is amazing how much we have screwed up our bodies with " shoe technology."