Planning for Monterey car week 2016 | FerrariChat

Planning for Monterey car week 2016

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bitzman, May 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I tried to list all of the events, but couldn't find the North California meet like they had at the winery. This is all from one guy's point of view, feel free to mention events I missed...

MONTEREY CAR WEEK: Preliminary planning day-by-day

TUESDAY AUGUST 16

CARMEL CONCORUS ON THE AVENUE

Carmel's Concours on the Avenue will be held Tuesday, August 16 from 10am-5pm. Sixteen blocks of downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea will showcase over 175 domestic and foreign collector vehicles. Free show. Very crowded, bring a chair so you and sit down and hopefully see the cars when they arrive and when they leave. Parking is a bear, I parked half a mile away

Wednesday, August 17

The Little Car Show

Never been to this, maybe Isettas and Messerschmitts? Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove. Runs from 12pm-5pm.

McCall's Motorworks Revival

On Wednesday, August 17 at 5pm Motorworks Revival at the Monterey Jet Center from 5pm-10pm. This is what you think of an exotic car show to be—beautiful women, buffet food, rivate biz jets you can tour, lots of cars from the latest exotics to some classics, mostly postwar. Entrance fee is something near $200 each. You can’t just go there and buy a ticket. Nighttime affair but good kick off point if Wed is when you start your Monterey Car week.

Thursday, August 18

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance

Let’s say you’ve cut the PB concours out of your budget but you still want to see some of the cars. Not to worry, a good number of the concours competitors participate in this drive around around Pebble Beach and Carmel-by-the-Sea. It departs Pebble Beach at 8am and follows 17-Mile Drive and Highway One and ends up at Ocean Avenue in Carmel-by-the-Sea. The cars will be displayed from noon to 2pm on Ocean Avenue, and then will return to Pebble Beach. If you stake out a position early you can shoot each car as it starts down the road toward the ocean.

By the way, entrants score points that counts toward their concours tally. Very hard to find parking on the streets of Carmel that day.

Friday, August 19

Legends of the Autobahn

Now I think of Monterey car week as Italian cars but now the German car fans have their own things going such as the Legends of the Autobahn with BMW , Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi clubs all sharing this event. The concours will be held from 8am-3pm at the Nicklaus Club. The public is welcome to walk the grounds but again problem is parking for spectators.

Werks Reunion-A Porsche Gathering

The year 2014 saw the inaugural Werks Reunion. at Rancho Canada Golf Club .The event runs from 7am-4pm. The show will feature the latest Porsches, special vehicle presentations, celebrity guests, and a surprise or two. I think my only fee was a parking donation)

The EVENT THAT HAS NO NAME, A Motorsports Gathering

I’d like to name this event, lots of exotic cars, very nice manufacturer’s display. Except they don’t think I’m media (I guess 50 years as a reporter isn't enough time in grade).

Starts 10am to 4pm. Food is included. Very pricey indeed. But not as crowded as Pebble Beach by far.

Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally

Runs from 1pm to 5:30pm, Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove . Presented by the Rotary Club of Pacific Grove so I think the standards aren’t the same as Pebble. But over 200 cars will participate and it’s free for spectators. At 6 pm cars will cruise the streets of Pacific Grove; at 7pm, participants and spectators can enjoy a barbecue dinner at Chataqua Hall (can’t say if that dinner’s free but it sounds like a real small town America thing…)

Saturday, August 20

Concorso Italiano

The Concorso Italiano, makes its home at Black Horse Golf Course. It’s not only 1,000 cars Italian fashion and art and food and music. On a former military base about 5 miles North of Monterey. Don’t do any burnouts there—somehow the Military Police still rule the vicinity. Runs from 9 am-5pm.

The Barnyard Ferrari Event

The Barnyard party for Ferrari owners on Saturday, August 20 from 4pm-7pm. I believe this is also open to the public but there is an entrance fee. Wine, food, and live music among the Barnyard's signature gardens.

Sunday, August 21

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

The finest 200 classic cars on earth roll out onto the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach Golf Links during this event. This year some of the feature marques are Ruxton, steam cars, Rolls-Royce Phantom IV and Phantom V, Tatra and Eastern European motorcycles. Opens to spectators on Sunday, August 21 at 10:30am. You can purchase tickets on the official Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance website.A real fun thing is to see the cars on the “dream car lawn” in front of the Del Monte Lodge. Sometimes a prototype makes its first showing there.

HISTORIC RACES

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion takes place at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The race cars are running Thursday-Sunday, August 18-21 from 8:30 am until 4:30pm every day. Tickets can be purchased at the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca website. (Or if you only decide to attend when you are in Monterey, I think you can buy tickets at the gate for $10 more, I think it’s about $70 per person. You can walk freely around the pits, but warning this is a somewhat dusty place to park your car not to mention parking it at an angle (do you trust your parking brake?). I also enjoy the booths which sell art, books and model cars among other memorabilia.

AUCTIONS

There may be as many as five auctions taking place that week.

Visitors with deep pockets who want to do more than look at the cars can attend auctions throughout the week.

Mecum Muscle Cars and More

The Hyatt Regency Monterey hosts muscle cars, motorcycles and more during the Mecum Auction. The general public is invited to view what’s going to be up for sale August 18-20. Admission is $30 per person. Not generally an exotic sports car crowd but they always field a few hoping to get the Big Timers

Russo and Steele

"Sports and Muscle in Monterey" by Russo and Steele takes over the waterfront of Old Fisherman's Wharf August 18-20. Previews open on August 17th. Admission is $20 per person.Same thing muscle car crowd with a sprinkling of exotics

Rick Cole Auction

Rick Cole’s Auction is at the Monterey Marriott in downtown Monterey. The general public is invited to view items up for sale August 18-22.

Bonhams & Butterfields Auction

One of the largest and oldest auctions take place at Quail Lodge Golf Club on August 18-19. Spectators can view and bid on rare automobiles, fine art and antique pieces.

RM Auctions' Sports & Classics of Monterey

.This is the one I like to go to because I can walk around the “city square” (though not actually square shaped) in Monterey and view many of the cars. It takes place at the Portola Hotel & Spa, August 19-20. Preview passes are $40; a $300 bidder registration includes two preview passes, two auction passes and includes an auction catalog.

Pebble Beach -Gooding & Company

This is a very classy auction film. Not near as many cars but high quality with the occasional dust covered “barn find.” The auction itself takes place August 20-21, but window-shoppers can admire the breathtaking displays of automotive magic beginning on August 17th.

ART AND ACCESSORIES

Seaside's Embassy Suites hosts Automobilia Monterey, an exhibition of original vintage posters, hood ornaments, signs, scale models, car related clothing, hood ornaments and much more, all connected to the history of the automobile August 16-17 from 10 am to 6 pm at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Seaside. Admission is $20.

RETRO AUTO

Once you paid your way into Pebble Beach (a private neighborhood) you can go to Retro Auto, an exhibit showing not only automobiles from the past, but photos, tools, and other objects associated with automobiles of yore. Not to mention sculpture, art and custom made clothing. RetroAuto is at The Inn at Spanish Bay , and open August 18-20 from 10am to 5:30pm.

Anything I missed?

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #2 HMB-Dino, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    A summary with links to each event's detail, though they (and you!) are mysteriously missing The Quail...

2016 Monterey Car Week & Concours | Events & Auctions

I presume you were referring to the activity at what is now Folktale Winery at the former Chateau Julien. I couldn't find anything about this, so either it won't return or they simply haven't yet publicized anything yet.

Last year I went to both Automobilia (pay) and Retro Auto (free) and a lot of the Automobilia vendors were also at Retro Auto.

3. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What a fantastic overview, thanks for sharing!

Exotics on Cannery Row on Friday was also very solid last year, lots of amazing Super Cars, LaFerrari's, etc:

Exotics on Cannery Row

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    All PR pablum repeated below, but which event will have the most Ferraris?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carmel-by-the-Sea's whimsical architecture, inspired by Arthur Rackham's illustrations for children's fairy tales, provides a unique setting for the CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA CONCOURS ON THE AVENUE. This is the latest addition to the prestigious group of events that make up the area's internationally known Monterey Peninsula ten-day collector car gathering, celebrating the finest in automotive design and engineering. Carmel-by-the-Sea's world-famous Ocean Avenue will be closed to traffic and eighteen blocks of downtown will be filled with collector cars and related motorized fun. A fascinating mix of American and foreign cars will be showcased in front of a backdrop of charming shops, critically acclaimed restaurants and numerous galleries. The CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA CONCOURS ON THE AVENUE will focus on vehicles not usually seen during this ten-day period. The cars will include a variety of legendary vehicles. Well over 175 cars will be on display in groups of juried classes during CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA CONCOURS ON THE AVENUE. These will include Luxury Cars, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods and Sporting Cars.

Micro Cars and others will highlight vehicles from the sublime to the spectacular. Selections will be based on a variety of factors, including authenticity, originality and provenance. Additional consideration will be given to cars that inspired youthful dreams, interesting stories and the hard-to-define fun factor. Class and major awards will be presented in the late afternoon. Families will want to remain in Carmel-by-the-Sea to enjoy dinner after the event has concluded, completing a full day of enjoying both the cars and Carmel's unique setting.The CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA CONCOURS ON THE AVENUE supports The Carmel Foundation in their work to provide a wide variety of services to Monterey Peninsula seniors.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #5 Brian A, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    We like(d) to stay near the Portola because my wife and I could stroll down to the Portola after dinner and watch the action at RM. It WAS super cool to watch the nervous owners burnishing their multi-million dollar cars in the "square" just before they entered the auction and then watch on the TV monitors as the car was being auctioned.

Last year though (I suspect because of the Sotheby acquisition of RM), the whole traffic circle was closed off with high white temporary fencing and the TV monitors were absent. All that was left on Saturday night was an annoying auctioneer's voice heckling the bidders.

On Friday night, we could still walk through the hotel lobby and see the primo items for sale (such as in the past Steve McQueen GT40, 275 NART Spider etc.) but that was it. I hope they return to a more open format this year.

6. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

As a Monterey Peninsula resident, you should be aware for 2016:
    The conference center adjacent to the Portola that housed the RM auction is being renovated. I doubt it will be ready for August car week. They have a large outdoor tent for events on the plaza where they previously pared the cars.

It should make for an interesting year's car week...

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The Conf Center is scheduled to fully reopen in 2017, but everything I could find still claims RM's auction will be at the Portola hotel...although entrance to the hotel during that week is thru the garage. So likely expect a big mess.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    They'll probably put a tent in the plaza on the north end and run the auction from there. The've just used it for storing cars in the past.

Personally, this year I am taking a bit of a break from Car Week and only planning on driving down for Concorso Italiano on Saturday. Legends of the Autobahn is tempting me on Friday as its the 100 year anniversary of BMW in 2016 and they are apparently pulling out all the stops. Legends will be the place to be. I might do it.

My very favorite thing to do is ogle the old loud cars at Laguna Seca on Saturday, but Concorso Italiano is now a conflict. This year I pick Concorso.

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Legends of the Autobahn also conflicts with The Quail, but at their new $700 ticket price (up $100!!), that's a bit hard to swallow no matter how much good food & drink I can comfortably consume.

10. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

I agree, I think Gordon and the Quail people are really smoking some serious stuff! Funny, because last year a bunch of people I know who put cars at quail had a couple cars at concorso instead . I'm following their lead this year and putting two cars at concorso myself...

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    If that is the fee for spectator, I think they are trying to have the highest average
    per capita income attendees though I am not sure how they can establish that being able to pay a high entrance fee means they have a six figure income...and maybe six figures is too low for them?

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Definitely for an exhibitor plus guest. Not sure about spectator since those tickets have been sold out for a while.

Last year it was $600 for entrant including a guest, and the individual spectator ticket was also $600. So entering a car was definitely the way to go. And unlike Concorso, the guest doesn't need to be in the entrant car when driven onto the field.

13. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    You figure you're inviting a guest (or even your wife or girlfriend,hopefully not both at the same time...) they might not be so car crazy as you are to get up at 6 am. so having the guest arrive later at their leisure makes them happier. Of course if they don't show up that $350 down the tubes...

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    My guest drove down from Half Moon Bay, while I only had to leave my place at 7:55 to be there at 8:00 (spent more time warming up the Dino). But surprisingly, I was able to just email him his ticket, so if he couldn't make it he could've just emailed it to a friend. Since spectators paid the same as entrants, I looked at it as the guest is getting in for free and has all the same access to free food & drink.

Carmel Concours is $250 to enter, no food, no drink included.

15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    A few years ago I got to tag along to a preview at Santa Monica airport--I remember some producer showed a documentary on the new car,actually more like a 15 minute commercial. My friend owned a Ferrari which is how we got in. I think they will seize the opportunity with all the high rollers in the area to have a preview at Monterey in August, hope somebody posts where it is....

16. hhibbett

hhibbett Karting

Aug 24, 2008
    Ferrari had the 488 at Casa Ferrari last year. Hopefully they will repeat the Casa Ferrari event and maybe bring the 488 spider there.

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I just got wind that they are planning to create "Casa Ferrari" again this year.

18. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Guys, The Quail is nice, but at $700.... jeeze. I think even Pebble is still $200 or so (which frankly, is a good amount).

I mean, yeah, neat cars and good food, drink. But how many oysters can you eat, how many glasses of vino can you drink. Keep in mind, most of us have to drive out of there after. If cost is no object, by all means, plop down the better part of a grand. For the rest of us, you won't see anything important there that won't be (or hasn't been) at another show. I've been twice (on comped tickets, I'll admit) and if I'd had to pay I'd rather go to Pebble, Concorso AND spectate RM Auctions, plus have a decent dinner and buy some good wine for the hotel room. If you've never been to The Quail, it's a thing... go for one year. Bet you won't return unless you have no sense of value.

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Dream on! Pebble tickets are $325 in advance, $375 day of show.
    Pebble Beach Concours Tickets

20. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    Why the hell would I pay so much for ultimate congestion on a lawn instead of 50 dollars a day to see just as spectacular cars race instead of well sit on a lawn.

too expensive

21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Or spend $0 to park yourself in downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea that Thurs to watch a large % of the PB Concours cars drive into town, turn Ocean Ave into a parking lot while entrants have lunch, and then watch them all drive off. The only downside to the PB Tour stop in Carmel is parking and crowds around the cars while their parked.

22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    If your looking for VALUE, skip the Quail and most other shows...Car week is a great time but you won't get your monies worth...on the other hand, I go every year...car week isn't about the money for me...I just blow a bunch and look forward to next time.

23. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    Can anyone confirm if this Barnyard Ferrari Event is open to the public for a fee?

Maybe skipping this year as lodging turned out to be a scam. Be careful people!

Thanks.

24. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Revised 6-21-16 MONTEREY CAR WEEK: Preliminary planning day-by-day

TUESDAY AUGUST 16

CARMEL CONCOURS ON THE AVENUE

Carmel's Concours on the Avenue will be held Tuesday, August 16 from 10am-5pm. Sixteen blocks of downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea will showcase over 175 domestic and foreign collector vehicles. Free show. Very crowded, bring a chair so you and sit down and hopefully see the cars when they arrive and when they leave. Parking is a bear, I parked half a mile away

Wednesday, August 17

The 2016 Carmel
    Mission Classic
    Wednesday, August 17th,
    10 am to 4 pm, spectator fee $50, located at Carmel Mission in Carmel

The Little Car Show

Never been to this, maybe Isettas and Messerschmitts? Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove. Runs from 12pm-5pm.

McCall's Motorworks Revival (evening event)

On Wednesday, August 17 at 5pm Motorworks Revival at the Monterey Jet Center from 5pm-10pm. This is what you think of an exotic car show to be—beautiful women, buffet food, private biz jets you can tour, lots of cars from the latest exotics to some classics, mostly postwar. Entrance fee is something near $200 each. You can’t just go there and buy a ticket. Nighttime affair but good kick off point if Wed is when you start your Monterey Car week.

Thursday, August 18

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance

Let’s say you’ve cut the PB concours out of your budget but you still want to see some of the cars. Not to worry, a good number of the concours competitors participate in this drive around around Pebble Beach and Carmel-by-the-Sea. It departs Pebble Beach at 8am and follows 17-Mile Drive and Highway One and ends up at Ocean Avenue in Carmel-by-the-Sea. The cars will be displayed from noon to 2pm on Ocean Avenue, and then will return to Pebble Beach. If you stake out a position early you can shoot each car as it starts down the road toward the ocean. And it's free.

By the way, entrants score points that counts toward their concours tally. Very hard to find parking on the streets of Carmel that day.

Friday, August 19

Legends of the Autobahn

Now I think of Monterey car week as Italian cars but now the German car fans have their own things going such as the Legends of the Autobahn with BMW , Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi clubs all sharing this event. The concours will be held from 8am-3pm at the Nicklaus Club. The public is welcome to walk the grounds but again problem is parking for spectators.

Werks Reunion-A Porsche Gathering

The year 2014 saw the inaugural Werks Reunion. at Rancho Canada Golf Club .The event runs from 7am-4pm. The show will feature the latest Porsches, special vehicle presentations, celebrity guests, and a surprise or two. I think my only fee was a parking donation)

The EVENT THAT HAS NO NAME, A Motorsports Gathering

I’d like to name this event, lots of exotic cars, very nice manufacturer’s display. Except they haven't decided yet if I’m media so I am grumpy
    Starts 10am to 4pm. Food is included. Very pricey indeed at over $700 a ticket. But not as crowded as Pebble Beach by far.

Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally

Runs from 1pm to 5:30pm, Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove . Presented by the Rotary Club of Pacific Grove so I think the standards aren’t the same as Pebble. But over 200 cars will participate and it’s free for spectators. At 6 pm cars will cruise the streets of Pacific Grove; at 7pm, participants and spectators can enjoy a barbecue dinner at Chataqua Hall (can’t say if that dinner’s free but it sounds like a real small town America thing…)

Saturday, August 20

Concorso Italiano

The Concorso Italiano, makes its home at Black Horse Golf Course. It’s not only 1,000 cars Italian fashion and art and food and music. On a former military base about 5 miles North of Monterey. Don’t do any burnouts on the way there—somehow the Military Police still rule the vicinity. Runs from 9 am-5pm.

The Barnyard Ferrari Event

The Barnyard party for Ferrari owners on Saturday, August 20 from 4pm-7pm. I believe this is also open to the public but there is an entrance fee. Wine, food, and live music among the Barnyard's signature gardens.

Art preview at Pebble Beach in AFAS tent
    If you like automotive art, every year the AFAS has a preview in a tent at Pebble of the latest art works by their members. Meet your favorite artist in person. You can even buy art there (Support your local artist...). Free drinks run out fast, I'd go at 6 pm. Dress posh. Supposedly you need an invite but who checks?.

Sunday, August 21

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

The finest 200 classic cars on earth roll out onto the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach Golf Links during this event. This year some of the feature marques are Ruxton, steam cars, Rolls-Royce Phantom IV and Phantom V, Tatra and Eastern European motorcycles. Opens to spectators on Sunday, August 21 at 10:30am. You can purchase tickets on the official Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance website.A real fun thing is to see the cars on the “dream car lawn” in front of the Del Monte Lodge. Sometimes a prototype makes its first showing there.

HISTORIC RACES

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion takes place at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The race cars are running Thursday-Sunday, August 18-21 from 8:30 am until 4:30pm every day. Tickets can be purchased at the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca website. (Or if you only decide to attend when you are in Monterey, I think you can buy tickets at the gate for $10 more, I think it’s about $70 per person. You can walk freely around the pits, but warning this is a somewhat dusty place to park your car not to mention parking it at an angle (do you trust your parking brake?). I also enjoy the booths which sell art, books and model cars among other memorabilia.

AUCTIONS

There may be as many as five auctions taking place that week.

Visitors with deep pockets who want to do more than look at the cars can attend auctions throughout the week.

Mecum Muscle Cars and More

The Hyatt Regency Monterey hosts muscle cars, motorcycles and more during the Mecum Auction. The general public is invited to view what’s going to be up for sale August 18-20. Admission is $30 per person. Not generally an exotic sports car crowd but they always field a few hoping to get the Big Timers

Russo and Steele

"Sports and Muscle in Monterey" by Russo and Steele takes over the waterfront of Old Fisherman's Wharf August 18-20. Previews open on August 17th. Admission is $20 per person.Same thing muscle car crowd with a sprinkling of exotics

Rick Cole Auction

Rick Cole’s Auction is at the Monterey Marriott in downtown Monterey. The general public is invited to view items up for sale August 18-22.

Bonhams & Butterfields Auction

One of the largest and oldest auctions take place at Quail Lodge Golf Club on August 18-19. Spectators can view and bid on rare automobiles, fine art and antique pieces.

RM Auctions' Sports & Classics of Monterey

.This is the one I like to go to because I can walk around the “city square” (though not actually square shaped) in Monterey and view many of the cars. It takes place at the Portola Hotel & Spa, August 19-20. Preview passes are $40; a $300 bidder registration includes two preview passes, two auction passes and includes an auction catalog.

Pebble Beach -Gooding & Company

This is a very classy auction film. Not near as many cars but high quality with the occasional dust covered “barn find.” The auction itself takes place August 20-21, but window-shoppers can admire the breathtaking displays of automotive magic beginning on August 17th.

ART AND ACCESSORIES

Seaside's Embassy Suites hosts Automobilia Monterey, an exhibition of original vintage posters, hood ornaments, signs, scale models, car related clothing, hood ornaments and much more, all connected to the history of the automobile August 16-17 from 10 am to 6 pm at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Seaside. Admission is $20.

RETRO AUTO

Once you paid your way into Pebble Beach (a private neighborhood) you can go to Retro Auto, an exhibit showing not only automobiles from the past, but photos, tools, and other objects associated with automobiles of yore. Not to mention sculpture, art and custom made clothing. RetroAuto is at The Inn at Spanish Bay , and open August 18-20 from 10am to 5:30pm.

Anything I missed? Still almost a month to go so if I can get more info I can add to the list.
    I would like to list previews of RR, Bentley, Ferrari, etc. but nobody invited has spilled the beans...