Planning a boat purchase - I'm thinking Tiara | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Planning a boat purchase - I'm thinking Tiara

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Valenzo, Sep 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Tiara's are great boats... and the "Open" line is really usable.

That said,... Be realistic about how you will use it.

I love the Grand Banks East Bays... Have my eyes on a 48. But it would NEVER get used. It's not a day boat,... and the 1 or 2 weeks a year we would actually take it to the Bahama's aren't worth the ownership costs.

I have a Hydra Sports 2500VX with Twin Yamaha 150's. The boat is easy to handle. So easy to use,... I'll of take it out for 90 minutes. Get's used all the time.

The bigger the boat,... the less it'll get used.

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I've always wondered whether a small hand-crank battery charger makes sense to have in the "ditch bag". If your batteries die, at least you can re-charge them and keep the electronics going. I guess re-chargeable batteries, too, then.

CW

3. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    #28 Tarek K., Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Ted, I have a similar boat, a 2008 Bertram 360 with twin Volvo Penta 575hp diesel engines. Bertrams are also great sportfishing boats. Take a look at this model, it might be of interest to you and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards, Tarek
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

Gorgeous boat, Tarek! And what a magnificent place to be motoring around. It would be great to hear what a typical day of sightseeing might be like in your neck of the ocean.

5. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    You guys are exactly right, after looking at the inside of Tareks boat, I have to be open to other brands and not fixiated on one .. only a boat show will fix that.

6. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    The ailment you suffer from is called "2 foot itis." The only solution is to buy a larger boat ; )

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ted, you are an excellent listener.... You're going to do fine.

Remember that the industry was hit very hard in the past few years. Many builders went out of business. So, even though shows are a great resource for seeing a lot of boats in a few days, they are only part of the process..... If you're looking for a used boat go to a brokerage marina and walk a bunch of them. The broker might be able to steer you to a make you might not have considered.

It's fun shopping around...

8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Lots of good info here already, and being on the hull truth will help. Once you find a boat, the survey is very important. Is it just family or fishing too? An express with outboards might be a good place to look for the first boat, less draft for the island exploring, less to maintain, the new four strokes are strong and quiet. And there are some cool builders of Downeast style boats too.
    Another option is to find some captains that have boats you like and pay for a charter with the understanding you want to run the boat, see what it takes to use it. The boat shows are good also. You may find you want a smaller day boat and a larger trip boat.

9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm on my second Tiara. First was a 39' with Volvo IPS. I've got a 47 Sovran now with C12 Cats. Tiara makes a good boat. Just be eyes wide open on maint costs and how much you'll use it. We've made 5 Bahamas trips so far this year so the boat gets a lot of use and is a good fit for that mission. As others have said, figure out the true use first and the boat fit second. Boats have more trade offs than you may think. I've also got a 25' boat with twin 4 stroke outboards which is great for the light cruise, bar taxi mission. Good luck and PM if I can help with anything.

10. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ted, one consideration as you consider size is draft. As you probably know, the OBX on the sound side is extremely shallow and on the ocean side there is no where to dock so if you just need to be mindful.

Another potential consideration is how much overnighting do you plan to do on the boat, vs bunking onshore. The former usually results in a larger boat, for the latter you're really looking for cool transportation and an occasional overnight (maybe something like a Hinckley?).

For your first trip, if you've never been, is to head for the Inn at Pamilco Sound :)

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had a Tiara 3100 with Crusader 454's for a long time. All I did to her was pitch the props to help get her on plane a little more quickly. Lots of good memories on there. :)

The 3500 will be a little easier on your ears at speed due to the step up from the motors but not much, since you're still in the hole. They do have a 36' flybridge you know. :)

Tiara's are about the best pop-out boats you can get, just below the Sunseekers, IMO. :)

12. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Did the OP ever end up buying a Tiara?

I am flying to Naples, Fla. next week to buy a 3000 Open with Cummins diesels.

Wondered what the the experience has been for OP

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For salt water cruising, nothing but a diesel will do.

14. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agreed . glad he now seems settled on the diesel. have fun in your hunt!

16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    As the gun guys say, "better to have it and not need it than..."

17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    EPIRB... is a must have... it can be the difference of being located in an hour vs days and unaware of being in trouble... it's like a fire extinguisher, they do nothing until there is a fire... have one at the right time to put out a fire and you will allow an hour for a crowd to gather so you can kiss their collective backsides

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had an EPIRB on mine. It was either that or always wear a Breitling Emergency watch while on board.