Place to stay in NYC?ed | FerrariChat

Place to stay in NYC?ed

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by italiafan, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Hi All,
    Wife and 2 teen sons and I going to NYC for first time to spend spring break last week of March.
    We are planning on doing things like Statue of Liberty, Empire State Bldg, 911 monument, MOMA, Natural History Museum and have booked about 4 Broadway shows.

Looking for a nice but casual hotel convenient to Broadway. Would love a place with super comfortable rooms, a nice lobby to hang out in and get a Martini, Irish Pub-type casual food in/or nearby when tired and want a beer at end of day.

We are nicely-dressed-jeans sort of people.

Not too concerned about exact costs.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated from fellow FChatters!

Also, any recs for great casual Italian food..NY pizza, great Italian food. Maybe a steak house too? But again..nice jeans, etc.

Really really appreciate it guys, thanks!!

(Not sure how "ed" got into title?...:))

2. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Just took two of my kids to NYC a couple of weeks ago. Sheraton Times Square was a great fit for us. Comfortable and had great adjoining rooms which can be tough to find otherwise. Very convenient to Broadway.

My new favorite sort of dive in the Broadway area is Los Tacos #1. Try everything. It’s awesome.

Lots of great steakhouses in NYC. I took the kids via Uber to Peter Luger in Brooklyn. Was quite good. Get reservations when they open up six weeks in advance.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  4. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Wyndham New Yorker on 8th. Walk to Empire State, close to pretty much everything in Central NYC, Carmines is around the corner...Times Square, Broadway.
    On your to-do list clearly the Statue of Liberty & & 911 Museum will require transportation BUT you can possibly do them in one day if you get a early start as they are next to each other practically... as far as Natural History your going uptown as I'm sure you are aware and that place you could spend a few days if you want to see it all!
    Enjoy your stay!

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I actually enjoy Ralph Laurens restaurant off 5th ave around 50th st.
    There is a great Steak house on 57th..BLT. cream spinach and mash potatoes.
    Hotels are abundant now..must do the central park horse and carriage ride as a first time visitor..theres a nice chic W hotel on 58th and 9th.
    The Met museum on 5th ave, houses art worth more than most 2nd world countries economy...MUST SEE.
    The new freedom tower / world trade center observation deck is nice too.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Check out the Gild Hall.
    Nice lobby, good restaurant and bar, plus you can get a suite with kitchen for the price of a room at most NYC hotels.
    It's in the financial district which is great for WTC, Statue of Liberty, or Wall St. if you choose. There's a pub almost next door, and the subway is a short walk to get uptown or to Brooklyn. That area is overlooked by a lot of tourists, but the greatest advantage IMO is the area is quiet after dark, unlike most everywhere else in Manhattan.

7. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    When buying tickets for Empire State Building be sure to purchase the “Fast Pass” or whatever they call it, like Disney. It makes the whole experience better because you actually get up to the top and enjoy the view rather than standing in various lines for hours. There are also two observation levels, the general deck where you can be outside and the upper most accessible level that is inside only, make sure your ticket includes access to this upper level. Wait for clear weather and buy tickets online with short notice. You can see five states on a clear day, bring a good camera.

Don’t go to great lengths but visit the Ferrari store In Manhattan. If you are nearby then stop in, they usually have a couple of cars inside that are worth seeing. I found a restored Dino one day and a Lusso before the dealers had them.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks all!
    Will investigate all of your recommendations.
    Much appreciated.