488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 9 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I wonder why buy a Pista for that money when you can buy (IMO) a much better looking F8 for far less money? Does anyone really believe the F8 won't put a damper on Pista prices?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No. It won’t.

Just as 488 didn’t put a damper on Soeciale prices.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That particular Pista doesn't look bad against an F8, just messed up a bit and personally I'd buy that car, pay the ticket and fix it up before buying an F8. If you drive Pista and then F8 it'll put more than a damper on it (F8). I'm not joking.

4. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Well.. it’s all about personal taste even if I believe today for most people a Pista is more better looking than an F8

of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd go along with this, but more importantly Pista drives like a Ferrari and not a Bentley.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think anybody needs to see a Pista in person to know that the Pista is gorgeous. This particular Pista is incredibly poorly configured and nothing will change that. That red and blue scheme is as bad in person as on pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Some local markets in some parts of the world might see a slight change in Pista pricing due to the F8, but it will not be the norm.
    Some who looked at potentially purchasing a used Pista might take a used F8 instead, and get 9/10's the car for much less. Sure, let them think that...

As for looks. Much better? You know what the difference between the Pista and F8 is? I've met my share of people whom think the F8 is nice, but that the rear does not work. I've met zero whom did not like the Pista. You may think the F8 is better looking, but it does not seem to be the norm.

An F8 is not a Pista and never will be.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Shadow- Funny when you owned the 488 you could not contain your superlatives to describe the car. When some, including I, found the car too compliant and refined, lacking excitement and involvement, you countered fiercely. You would never refer to it as a Ferrari that drives like a Bentley. Yet that is how you refer to the F8 which is a superior car on every subjective and objective metric. If your defence now is that your assessment has altered due to your experience with the Pista, really holds no water. The 488 driving dynamics is exactly the same today as it was when you owned it.

Texas2step, dustman and IPO1 like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #209 Shadowfax, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Actually the 488 may be a cruder device than an F8 and whilst less involving than a Gt porsche it didn't make it (the 488) feel like a Bentley. Just calling it how I found it. Not looking to set anyone's ass on fire here - keep in mind I owned a 488 for a year and half and 10K miles in spirited driving situations and drove an F8 hard on circuit for nearly a solid straight hour on one of the three go's I had in it so I suspect I have a better handle on both cars than what you probably do. That said I genuinely hope you find it exciting enough as I sure didn't for what I look for. For me the Ferrari status isn't a huge priority - a car has to deliver to a certain level of expectation and the bar has been raised fairly high these days. That all said the 488 as good as it seemed at the time fell out of favor when gt2 arrived and for legit reasons. F8 has not recovered that situation. Pista is in there for a solid show though. So on that note blue seats and a mismatched stripe is a better deal for me than any F8 no matter the spec or colour combo.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't see the big deal with the OP car. Blue/red-orange on the exterior looks OK and you can always just wrap it if you don't like it or just wrap the stripe. The only blue I see inside the interior are the seats, which you can literally just swap out with ease. I'm sure you can find a deal on some seats somewhere.

Not saying it's a good or bad deal, but it's far from a terrible spec. I actually don't think the blue looks bad on the seats. It's not an ugly blue and it's two-tone. And how often are you staring at your passenger seat while driving? From a driver's seat perspective, the only colors that really matter are the dash and console.

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This one sounds like a very good car for you noone1!!! Get it bought! Throw the skateboard away!:D

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd also point out that orange/blue are known to be complementary colors and generally pleasing to the eye. You notice this a lot in film color grading and media.

Now I don't know how orange that car is, but it's might look a lot better in real life and outdoor lighting. I can see why the colors could be very attractive to people. They pop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=orange+and+blue+color+grading+movies&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiBjrvsnszoAhVe8awKHfzJB20Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=orange+and+blue+color+grading+movies&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1C0LlioNGCFNWgAcAB4AIABUIgB8AOSAQE3mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ei=zCmHXoH4Jt7iswX8k5_oBg&bih=916&biw=1680

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm waiting for GOOG to bottom and hopefully the USD/AUD goes up more. More interested in a house on the coast in AU than cars at the moment and this downturn has been a bit of a set back on those plans ;)

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Well I can certainly point you in the right direction there (house on AU coast). But it will cost you. A good one isn't cheap these days even in corona times ;)

15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #215 noone1, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    I was just in Byron and rented a place overlooking Wategos. Area was perfect, but had very little inventory. Seems like $5-6M AUD is what it would take on the low end should something pop up for sale. There was a house that sold for $5M AUD a few months ago that was right near where I was renting, but I definitely wasn't ready to make an impulsive purchase like that and there are actually some pretty heavy restrictions on foreign owned real estate in AU. Guess I have China to thank for that...

I look at the sold prices from just a few years ago and the appreciation is pretty insane. Seems like some places are up 100% in 5 years. Makes me very hesitant. After all, I can also rent a great place for $10-15K/month for a few months each year, which is vastly cheaper and more flexible.

With travel severely disrupted and no doubt effecting AU for quite a while, I have a feeling those prices might pull back a bit depending on how long this goes on. A significant amount of the value in coastal property seems to be in vacation rentals, and well, there's no vacationing in AU any time soon!

16. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I've stayed mostly out of this thread until now that's the most ******** I've read in a long time. What Bentley are you referring to their GT3 race car. The F8 is most definitely having an effect on the Pista, I'm a prime example. I past on one bc I get the Pista engine, much nicer interior, newer styling and electronics all without the extra road noise all at a $75,000 price reduction. If you drive hard enough on a public road to think an F8 is "soft" you shouldn't have a license. Most of us don't track our cars very often and find the F8 stiff and visceral enough for 99% of our drives. If I had time to track weekly I'd buy a real race car.

anishka, Coincid and buddyg like this.
  17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if they made 1200 pistas i wld argue the pista wld be my choice. given they made so many, i agree 100% with this post.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The F8 is a completely different car, yes the power train is similar but that's where it ends. Anyone with a Pista could easily get an F8 but I doubt you will see anyone move in that direction. This doesn't mean the F8 isn't a fine car. Also, you might be in the minority. Most people posting here are foregoing the F8 as Pista's become available.

Pis7a2020, Rrr1 and Shadowfax like this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Pistas are trading below msrp so what do you mean not everyone can have one? Not everyone cld spec one but anyone can have one at msrp or lower.

20. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I did and I can't be the only one! Look at my car list I'm more then qualified and would've received one of the first Pista's. To the best of my knowledge I did receive Algar's first F8.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    For a car you are going to drive regularly on the streets the F8 is a better choice for many. The F8, like a std 911 would make for a great DD. Others like myself prefer a more raw/visceral experience.

Rrr1 and Shadowfax like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You appear to be driven as a numbered or special car type buyer where I really don't care how many Pista's they made or if it wears a number. The two cars may be similar in a physical sense yet are so different in the way they deliver the types of sensations most would expect from this level and segment of car. Pista is clearly the more compelling car to drive of the two in so many ways its not funny. I think it's amusing how so many get caught up in the belief just because F8 shares the same engine architecture its the same car for less money. Couldn't be further than the truth and in that context the Pista is the cheaper car by far. No question in my mind about that.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Glad you are happy with your choice. But you will never convince me F8 is the better drive, the better car or better value of the two. Even if I didn't own a Pista I wouldn't kid myself of that. I'd only be having a lend of myself.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    to me all the new stuff is the same crap...

arizonaitalian likes this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Unfortunately I could not get a Pista at MSRPfrom my dealer in Canada. Buying a Pista now can be had in the range of $450-500KUSD.In Canada none are available under $650K CAD. My ordered F8 spec'd to my preferences comes out at $380k CAD which at current exchange rates =$270K USD. While I would readily agree that the driving dynamics of the Pista ( bearing in mind I have no actual driving experience) comports more fully to my preferences, it is difficult to justify the price differential.