Pista vs Pista aperta | FerrariChat

Pista vs Pista aperta

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BG23, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Hypothetically if you could have either which one would you choose? I've always thought I would choose the coupe because it's lighter and stiffer. But I've been thinking does the aperta make it even more visceral? Sure the outright pace is slightly less - but would you even notice it?

Also do you think the 488 aperta will actually have better resale?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The soeciale aperta has better resale by a mile. I would think Pista is similar.

As to driving- both will be spectacular!

Melvok likes this.
  3. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad
    for me both are keepers.

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m a berlinetta man. To me the only thing more appealing about the Aperta is the exclusivity in numbers - hence resale. But, the pure lines of the car are ruined and the drama of seeing the engine is gone, which is big deal. Having said that, if they opted for a targa top rather than a convertible then I would be torn.

5. stereotaipei

stereotaipei Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Taiwan + Europe
    I prefer the coupe. More beautiful, stiffer. And the aperta premium at resale will be much lower as quantity will be higher than for the Speciale Aperta vs. coupe

Bundy, LARRYH, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am a spider guy, give me an Aperta anyday. I think the Speciale Aperta is outstanding I am sure the Pista Aperta will be better.

LARRYH likes this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Considering an Aperta Speciale has like a $200-300K premium over the coupe, I'd take that one. Free money, more or less the same car, and also the top comes down.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Obviously, for the majority of us on this forum, the question is indeed hypothetical. I would note one irony: using supposed higher resale on the Pista Aperta at some later date implies that the main reason for choosing one is making a profit when divesting oneself of it. I've never considered that a relevant factor when choosing an expensive vehicle for purchase. It's not that I'm against legitimate profit. Rather, I buy what I prefer, regardless of hypothetical resale at some later time. For that reason, I am annoyed by salesmen who insist that I must select a specific option or option group because "a used-car buyer will demand it." Why, when I'm ordering a car, should I care what a person who chooses to buy a used car sometime in the future would have preferred over my choices? Stated differently, why buy an Aperta over a berlinetta because it's presumed that that's where the resale money will be? By the way, I'd buy the Aperta , since I love my 458 Spider so much. Fred

halr75, tekaefixe, Bundy and 5 others like this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Well said

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Thanks very much, Rosso! Fred

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I would like to ask this: but isn't anyone here worried about the lack of stiffness of the Aperta? Today competitor cars have CF chassis with a big stiffness also with the cabrio body (the Mc Laren all the chassis, the Huracan just some parts).

It looks that the Ferrari appeal is very big and so nobody cares about this: you can immediately feel the lack of stiffness in a 35 years old 240 Hp 308 GTS, how that sensation has to be with an heavier 700 Hp car with much better tires too?

I'm definitely a Berlinetta man!

ciao

LVP488 and REALZEUS like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It seems that many Ferrari buyers (no name and no personal attack here;) ) do not care about driving, but are more interested about showing off and resale (in whatever order).
    This is becoming a concern for people wanting to buy a Ferrari to drive it, because it's distorting the market.

Oligarch_NY, Bundy and Shack like this.
  13. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    It applies just as much with Porsche IMO (911r etc) . McLaren produce too many "special" cars for any to apply to resale or showing off. I tend to agree 100% with you and really if one uses cars as an investment class (other than the top end investment quality cars) then one has bigger problems. Granted no one wants to lose huge money on a car but its purpose is fun and enjoyment and that should be priority

Bundy likes this.
  14. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    I prefer the coupe regardless of future resale values. The Pista is a keeper so get what you really want...

uhn2000 likes this.
  15. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Aperta top down is the best!

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Look at what is the difference between a Scuderia and a 16M, may go that way here too

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The coupe of course!!! Why compromise a super-sportscar?

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  18. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    This is one of the better posts of the year. The reality is 98% of the people here will not have access to order a Pista Aperta (let alone a Pista) from their dealer. I get the need for exclusivity, etc. Unfortunately, this also leads to people taking their interest and their wallet elsewhere. Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of ordering a 911 GTS Targa 4 and a 911 GT3. They are very different cars even though they are built on the same platform. I love my 2016 California T and would have loved to order a Pista or a Pista Aperta. No chance per my dealer (they have their rules regarding allocations from the factory). So, for about the same price as a Pista (maybe less) I am ordering a pair of really fun cars in the alternative.

19. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I would like an Aperta. I think there is a decent chance I will get one if I give my coupe allocation up. I don’t really believe the premium will be as much as for the Speciale Aperta come resale but perhaps a third or half of it.

That’s not the reason I want the Aperta, though it is a helpful thought since this is not a clear cut decision due to appearance and chassis stiffness. Although I have driven a Speciale on track many times I have never driven my own Speciale on track since I bought it new in 2015. That is about to change because I have the chance to drive on the Le Mans circuit next month and I will use my Speciale for that - can’t resist! The point though, is that I won’t buy the Pista to slog around a track so the trade-off for chassis stiffness versus open-top motoring makes sense for me. I love the open air feeling and the added noise and exhilaration it brings. I drive my cars in beautiful locations, travelling to the alps, Spain, south of France etc. I still want the added driving experience the Pista will bring but adding the open-air feeling to it is worth it. I care very much about the driving and very little about the showing (except I do love it when we drive through small villages in France or Spain and see the joyful reaction of young children to a posse of exotics).

I can’t say that the open lid doesn’t detract from the drive experience because it does, slightly. When you close the roof it is much less noticeable so you do have a choice, but with the roof open and on broken roads there is some shimmy in my 488 Spider. Does it make me regret choosing it over a GTB? Nope.

I could choose a McLaren (and I had a 12C Spider for that exact reason). But I prefer Ferrari and the way the Ferraris drive, and the demerit from an aluminium spider over a carbon spider is not enough to overcome the merit I feel the Ferrari driving experience gives.

Adding it all up, I buy cars for the driving as much as anything else and I will choose the Aperta if I get the chance precisely for that reason. I happen to think the Pista’s lines will really suit an Aperta too but that is just a subjective opinion and others will feel different. I have two other friends who will get a Pista and neither of them want the Aperta (despite one already owning an LT Spider). They joke about me having to struggle to keep up if I buy an Aperta....we’ll see about that!

20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    For street driving top down the Aperta wins- sound,sun and wind enhance the experience for me from March through November here in the Northeast. Doubtful one would ever feel a significant loss in performance on the street.
    If I tracked the Pista different story but since I don’t I’ll take that minuscule loss in performance as I do in my 488 spider

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

QueueCumber likes this.
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    My reasoning for preferring berlinettas is all about the looks, particularly with a car on this level because of the loss of seeing that glorious carbon fiber engine. As for loss of performance and regidity, come on, w occasional weekend track warrior can really judge such a minor thing with a car as extreme as a Pista?

22. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Aperta of course. It will be worth a lot more for resale. Also, spiders are much more fun and the convertible top will hide that itty bitty engine. :p Unless you're a competitive racer and constantly pushing these cars to the very edge of their performance, I don't see why you'd go coupe...

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I suspect it might be easier to feel the lack of stiffness of a spider compared to a berlinetta rather than the performance difference between a GTB and a Pista.
    If cars are judged by selling prices it's a different matter, the most expensive car being always the best the Pista is far superior to the GTB and the Pista Aperta will be dramatically better.

Albert-LP likes this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttle_shake

A fairly good amateur driver can distinguish such things within a couple of miles.

tekaefixe likes this.
  25. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    If that kind of stuff gets your OCD to flair up over the pleasure of having the top down, then get the Aperta and flip it for a coupe... lol :p

Spyder Man likes this.