Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The SLS Black he posted though is a fantastic car both visually and behind the wheel.

Ash Patel likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm not sure about that. That's very risky. I just cant imagine there would be enough take up least of all for over msrp. I mean how many mugs are out there that would be prepared to pay overs for this thing? It's just a production model as well. Only complete mug would pay overs for it.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    For the next 12 months it’s going to continue to be completely insane. Any low volume asset is a 30% return. Some new steel $30k patek sold for $320k recently. Wild times.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Are you sure we are talking about the same car?

You mentioned something about an SLS Black that looked good? Did i miss it? Was it the previous model?

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The SLS black looked great. From like 10 years ago. The new GTR black is junk to my eye. I’d still take one and resell it though!

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Faster than any Ferrari…. I know that pee’s off many here. Check lap times posted by many with in board data and video at various tracks…even the AMG GTR.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #832 Shadowfax, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Ah ok thanks got it now. Yes back in the good old days!

I still think it'd be a very risky bet taking one of these on. With these types of cars there would be so many others far more worthy of taking a risk with as a flipper. This one would be sitting well and truly on the bottom of the pile.

Scrappy has a lot of very nice cars but this one is definitely not going to be one of them. If he placed every single one of his existing cars on one end of the scale and this thing on the other this benz would flip the scales over.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Wasn’t the 765 and BS launched within months of each other?

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #834 Shadowfax, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Not sure. I thought there were images of 765 floating around well before the benz but i could be wrong. Either way it looks like benz has been focusing more on looking up the competitions skirt instead of focusing on doing a proper redesign.

I know theres been some criticism directed at SF90 but boy this benz sure makes ferrari designers look like geniuses. I dont think anyone can criticise Ferrari anymore after seeing the benz. At least the SF90 has a large element of originality going on and aesthetically looks light years ahead.
    Id junk out of that benz order and take an SF90 in a heartbeat. At least the Ferrari will compliment your current garage.

It also isnt as if youd be shooting for the next nurburging lap record either plus the Ferrari sounds better too and thats saying something.

I was watching that Novitec vid on the SF90 and it looked pretty smart so dollar for dollar its a long way in front of that Benz imho.

Anyway i take my hat off to you for remaining positive about it. Youre an absolute champion and wish you well with it.

ScrappyB likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That's not surprising.

ScrappyB likes this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #836 plastique999, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Rather CGT or TDF

ScrappyB likes this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    At that price point, I can think of 20 cars I would rather…

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Not sure where to start…basically EVERY car made in the last several years. And for that dollar amount, you could have multiple cars. Here’s my best shot at detailing the cars I would prefer:

TDF
    812 GTS
    488 Pista
    675LT
    675LTS
    765LT
    765LTS
    911 Speedster
    911 GT2 RS
    992 GT3
    992 GT3 Touring
    Huracan Performante
    Huracan STO
    C8 Z06
    Dodge Viper ACR
    2005/2006 Ford GT
    New Ford GT
    Singer Porsche

I should say that even at MSRP, I doubt I would be looking to add a Black Series. I respect it’s track credentials for sure, but the overall aesthetic and exhaust note simply do not appeal to me. I would prefer any combination of the aforementioned cars at that inflated asking price.

Wikdstrate, ScrappyB and Coincid like this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Lots of great debate and strong opinions. I enjoy reading them and understand the viewpoints that have been shared.

I do hope the exhaust system from Opus Innovation fixes the sound and does so without overly synthetic off-throttle pops. For the life of me, I still don’t understand why they made it so darn quiet. Hearing the STO at Goodwood suggests to me that it’s not a legal requirement.

Ash Patel and Thecadster like this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Exactly. Based on how good the 765LT sounds, surely the Benz team could have accomplished a similarly effective exhaust note…

Coincid and ScrappyB like this.
  17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #842 ScrappyB, Jul 24, 2021
    It was clearly a conscious decision, but why?

It’s also peculiar that they launched the car in silver rather than the exclusive Magmabeam orange.

Thecadster likes this.
  18. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Some of these dealers are out of their minds.

Most BS are trading tween $100-$200k over msrp. I wouldn't pay it but I can't wait to get mine which I did get at sticker, and I can't wait to get it on track.

FWIW only 375 are coming to the US ... so no matter what you think of the car it is still the fasted production car ever to lap the ring (2RS manthey nonsense aside) and it will be collectible.

19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I look at the BS as an engineering exercise - similar to the Senna’s. it’s objective was to set a production car Nurburgring lap record and from that perspective, mission accomplished.

McLaren spends a great deal of time explaining in detail the technology in their cars while AMG strangely, has not. I think this somewhat undermines the extent of transformation that’s occurred underneath the skin of the GT/GT-R.

This link is the best information I’ve been able to find. It’s a bit of a read, but I found the section on chassis stiffening and suspension upgrades to be particularly interesting.

https://media.mercedes-benz.ca/releases/release-97ed16fa779e41ce1c8368df0d0728c7-la-nouvelle-mercedes-amg-gt-black-series

soulsea and Thecadster like this.
  20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t understand the hatred of this car. Msrp- I’d buy it all day long. I think it’s unique and fun and more importantly limited.

ScrappyB and soulsea like this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I hate the exhaust note, not the car. I’m nonplussed on the overall car. Part of my lack of enthusiasm is because I really don’t like the Mercedes Benz F1 team, especially Crybaby Hamilton. Weird as that might sound, it colors my impression of the car.

Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  22. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I could be wrong but it appears that the $900k+ Charlotte McLaren Black Series is gone.

I can't believe someone would pay that much for it.

Thecadster likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I get it. Can’t stand that moron either.

Gh21631, Jo Sta7 and Thecadster like this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #849 Shadowfax, Jul 24, 2021
    So what's the story with all the F1 driver pet hate sessions now?

I would suggest better to direct the hate in the right direction - direct at MB for hosing so much money of F1 and drivers instead of leaving enough coin on the table to pay for a decent design team and exhaust sound team for their cars. Obviously they only have enough left to pay for very low rent designers, or are outsourcing that function to China - i'd say looking at MB cars the later as the face of that Benz looks like a Chinese dragon stitched onto the ass of a GT2rs with a long sausage in between along with a coupe of lower sills off a 765. Job done!!

And the exhaust note? Maybe MB doesn't have any money left over at all to even have a dept for that now.

boxerman likes this.
  25. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc