Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I understand flow is less with valves close...I understand that.....I just can not find any testing, reports, articles that show the valves closing on off throttle applications keeps the turbo spool up to avoid turbo lag

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This was explained to me by the 30 year master tech here who also advised not to press the engine hard in the Pista with the valves held open by the controller as the tune and systems are far more sensitive than 488gtb (which reduces lag and improves throttle response using the same principle).

Fwiw maybe Ferrari doesn't advertise how their turbo system works to reduce lag and improve throttle response as I've never read anything about it either. Anyway people are free to do what they choose with their Pista's and if something goes wrong at one point then that's not my problem - I am only advising what I was informed.

mdrums and Gh21631 like this.
  3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  4. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Any updates with you guys getting Klines?

5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #205 SECRET, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Alright folks, not sure this is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share some interesting findings that appear to be accurate.

It looks like the Ferrari part number for the left and right cats [turbo back] on the Pista and 488 GTB are identical. I'm pretty confident that I can order *any* aftermarket cats for the 488 GTB and they will be plug and play on the 488 Pista.

Anyone consider mixing and matching systems?

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The cats are the easiest part. Basically all the aftermarket guys offer catless , 100 , 200.

Either way you look at it Catless is illegal no mater where you are.
    100 will give a cel light but you can avoid that with an O2 extension bung. BUT and this is the BUT all the aftermarket guys will push you into getting an EUC remap.
    They say its undetected and will give you about 60 Kw's more.
    In all of my after market history 37 years you can decide what you like but ild stick to 200 cell being the best compromise..

When it comes to the exhaust boy oh boy they all have different designs. Which is better ? Hell its hard unless you listen to all of them in person.

But I will say those with Pista's well you have an Inconel exhaust manifold I sure as hell would go with Inconel exhaust AKA Klein.

And IMO there are other reasons the Inconel material is basically the BEST.
    X design seems to be the best The Kline has this. The valves are after the silencers and this I know from past experience will reduce the drown sound.
    Keep valves and have a remote. Having the remote is a cheap cost when you do the exhaust.

Inconel is so so light, holds heat extremely well and you wont have those IMO BS blankets as a band aid .

BTW No I have absolutely no affiliation with Klein

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The Klein , Inconel. Notice the valve after the silencer , x pipe contribution to the sound , think trumpet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tubi, they just remove the silencers

Capristo again just removes the silencers

Fabspeed they have the X pipe but remove the silencers

Novitec

Then you have several brands for what I can call them are bloody dear straight or curved pipes with no silencers or valves.

Shadowfax, Gh21631 and chrixxx like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Anyone here has The Klein installed to advise us please ?

10. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The OEM design appears like a straight pipe as well when the valves are open. The pipes leading off of them look like they are acting like tuned resonators for sound quality.

11. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mine is getting installed right now.

Lagunae92, Caeruleus11 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Downpipes as well?

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would very much like to know your impressions.

I love the Pista, I think the car is mega in every way. I know its often discussed, but the one improvement I would like to make is to find a way to get the sound to change a bit more as the revs climb- for some more drama with the revs.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wrote this somewhere else but a Klein should drop about 25 pounds and add about 25 hp, along with better sound. It's close to a no brainer if you're into any minor modifications.

15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I’m between Kline and Novitec. Inconel in both of course. Just back unit for now, because of warranty issues should they arise.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It will be criminal not to post videos either. Or audio recordings. I’ll take anything.

17. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No worries, as soon as shes ready I wlll take some

18. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I am waiting for the Kline to arrive. Taking forever but am told it should be here soon.

Gh21631 likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

For comparison reasons you need to write exactly what you have , cats ? 100,200 cell ? Inconel , SS . All these variables make a difference , that's why there also is so much confusion.

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I sure anyone having a Pista wouldn't worry about a few more $$$$ for a better sound, gee I have a 488 GTB , love it with pinned valves but hey why not see if we can improve it.

The thing is we want a $$$$$ well spend and gain.

These systems are all different , their own designs. Which is the best to achieve that high pitch and if it can be achieved.

21. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Exactly. Most people, including Novitec, say don’t waste the money on Inconel. For a couple grand more, I’d rather have the best, and something unique and interesting. If it’s a 5% change in exhaust pitch, worth it.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I ordered 2 systems, 1 for me and 1 for anyone here who wants a nice discount from list. Hit me up by PM and lock it up.

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

What did you get ?

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The Kline Iconel system with valve controller and 200 cell cats. I will know final pricing soon.

MANDALAY likes this.
  25. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    As I posted in the FS forum, I got in touch with IPE to get a clear explanation of the way their system works to silence the exhaust.

With the IPE system, each bank has one [big] tube that flows to the x-pipe region, mixes, then flows out the exhaust tip(s). Each bank also has one valve which is inline with the singular [big] tube that flows to the x-pipe. The IPE system's valves are set up such that they only partially close rather than fully close. The partial closure "silences" the system.

I think that's why the WheelsBoutique video of the IPE Pista system on YouTube shows a Pista sounding like it has a valve controller set to fully open on cold start and while accelerating. The flaps merely tweak how much exhaust gas can flow through the same tubes, but they do not redirect the exhaust flow through any baffling to silence it.

I will likely not be going with that system after all (loved it on my Speciale).

Right now it's down to the Kline Inconel or Novitec Inconel system. The Novitec more closely matches the exhaust layout of the OEM system but with bigger tubing overall. It also comes pre-heat wrapped. With this exhaust, you can't really see much anyway, so looks aren't as important to me. As for the heat wrap function, on the Pista, the exhaust would get so hot that the clear film on my diffuser was starting to melt. While the OEM system doesn't have any heat wrap, the system has small pipes leading to the muffler/baffle/x-pipe section. Something worth keeping in mind if you track or drive the car harder.

Caeruleus11 and Jo Sta7 like this.