Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  2. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Not sure if you heard it from the video or my instagram...But I deleted the vids because the audio was out of sync. However, if thats not the case and you heard it appropriately, then thats cool too... Cheers

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I heard it from the Youtube video before you took it down. I'm not on Instagram unfortunately. I didn't watch, I just listened, so the sync did not really matter.
    Not trying to be discourteous, was just very different from what I expected.

4. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I found the microphone used to be incredibly important in trying to represent the sound. I ended up going out to buy a new stereo mic with the ability to attenuate input to gain a bit more dynamic range under different applications! Not the most advanced mic, but the most compact mic I could find for recording

5. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Having owned this system, I would highly recommend against the version WITH flaps, especially with OEM cats or 200 cell cats. If you sens yourself trying to decide if you like the sound video, I can tell you in person it sound quieter and more muted in person. Listen to the Evasive Motorsports Pista video where they only changed the muffler section, and you will see this product really is a dud.

You'll be lucky to get a sound you like even with race cats. As I've posted several times, I took it off also due to a safety/burn risk that I did not receive support to resolve. TAG tried to help me (they're pretty great in supporting my questions even though I didn't buy from them), but the reseller I bought it from, and Novitec themselves declined to support the issue.

Like most, I was looking for a solution that kept the flaps, but this caused me nothing but issues + lots of lost $$$. Be careful.

IloveGT and mdrums like this.
  7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Here's the Evasive video:

8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Seemed like you were happy with the sound before, obviously not with the total end result...when you had the Akra pipes and Novitec muffler. TAG is very helpful and patient. Kudos to them for sure.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Im confused ? What happened and what is your final set up ?

10. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    To think, you just spent $13k, waited nearly 8-12 weeks, and you pay to get it installed (not all of us have the talent or time to install it ourselves), only to fire it up and look around at each other like a bunch of idiots continually saying "I think it sound better.. right?" My primary disappointment with noise is that the Novitec rear muffler + OEM cats = net zero benefit.

That combined with the end result [burn/safety risk] definitely made it a really bad deal.

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Ultimately, I am now using Kline Inconel 200 Cell cats with the OEM rear muffler. While I can recommend the Kline parts from a quality, fit, and support standpoint, my setup is still not quite what I am looking for from an acoustic standpoint yet. I am considering enlisting the help of Brooke Race to develop a Pista muffler with flaps for me.

As far as I can tell, many of the systems out there without flaps are similar in their audible results as they are nearly identical in shape [remove flaps, extended path length, x-pipe connection, etc].

One thing about the x pipe-shape is that it seems to smooth out the tone of lower revs. It wasn't something I particularly liked about the Novitec muffler I had. Aside from the safety issues mentioned above, there were other odd things about the system, like they omitted two of the OEM hanger locations for seemingly no good reason.

mdrums and MANDALAY like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Can you elaborate on your final sentence " [burn/safety risk] "

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I feel lucky to be able to recoup a fraction of what I've spent on my quest to try to find a great exhaust solution. I prefer to leave this issue as it is: (1) a word of caution to buyers out there regarding the risks and (2) a word of caution that the audible result are less than amazing, esp for the very high price tag and the opulent marketing [in constrast to brands that have opulent marketing and spectacular products like Ferrari].

This is my preference rather than air out this specific bad experience any further than I have.

Generally I try to share what I can with respect to great, positive experiences as well as issues/challenges I've faced with the car(s). It is, of course, a de facto that everyone will have their own unique experience that may not match mine. That said, as a community, it's important for those considering this option, or any options, are to be aware of issues that exist.

mdrums and MANDALAY like this.
  14. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
  15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Sounds fantastic. Is this the valveless muffler? Great overtone to it. Upper harmonics very present.

SECRET likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Sounds great however over here catless and you are caught is a no no . Need a solicitor.

SECRET likes this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I couldn't do it either. Maybe HFCs, but it is a great sound.

MANDALAY and SECRET like this.
  18. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  19. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I know Kline offers 100 or 200 cell cats. Did you consider the 100 cell cats, maybe that would give you slightly better sound? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on the Kline system for my F8, leaning towards the 200 cell cats, but still open to ideas.

20. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I ended up choosing 200 cell simply because I already know how much 100 cell cats stink. I can't prove it, but I also get a bit of a sense that the flow characteristics with a race pipe aren't necessarily a win unless the boost is tuned alongside it. Additionally, with 200 cell cats, the car honestly doesn't sound as good as OEM.

While I love the build quality of the Kline hardware, I was neutral on the way it changed the exhaust tone on the Pista. I personally think the OEM exhaust at idle & low rpm is really quite well toned. All exhausts I've heard trade off that idle/low rpm tone for high rpm tone.

Here's what the set up will be in about 4-6 weeks:

· Kline Inconel 200 Cell Bolt-on Downpipes + Kline hardware
    -- Already installed
    -- As I mentioned above, the Kline hardware is really nice build quality
    · Zircotec Zircoflex I Gold-backed Heat Shield for the inside of the Rear Bumper -- Already installed
    · Brooke Race Inconel Non-valved Muffler with added heat wrap + ceramic coating -- Being fabricated at Brooke now
    · Custom tune -- TBD if I do this​

mdrums, MANDALAY and Dicecal like this.
  21. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Does anyone ever consider the Capristo 200 Cell cats, either standard or twin flow? May be an interesting option.

22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Just to clarify this statement, with 200 Cell Cats + OEM Muffler, the car honestly doesn't sound as good as OEM. I suspect this because they did a lot of sound engineering with pipe diameters, lengths, and fluid mechanics to tune resonances.

23. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    UGH, maybe I’ll just throw the novi race exhaust on the car and consider it done,

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #499 SECRET, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Believe me, I've spent a considerable amount of time doing the homework to find a good valved solution. I've concluded that if valves are a must, then the OEM system + a valve controller is ultimately the best sounding solution I've seen and heard, albeit some of the options I've only heard via video (many videos).

The systems I have heard in person:

· Novitec Inconel Valved Exhaust + OEM Cats <-- Too quiet + had issues, as I've mentioned in many threads
    · Capristo Stainless Valved Exhaust + OEM Cats <-- Didn't sound too bad, but honestly wasn't as pleasant as OEM
    · OEM Muffler + Akrapovic Stainless 200 Cell Cats <-- Louder for sure. Didn't improve sound tone though - I didn't like the tone as much as stock
    · OEM Muffler + Kline Inconel 200 Cell Cats <-- Nearly zero difference between Inconel & Akra stainless cats from a sound standpoint
    Systems I have not heard in person:
    • Kline Inconel Valved Exhaust + Inconel Cats
    • Fabspeed Stainless Valved Exhaust + Stainless Cats
    While build quality and support from both of these companies are stellar, the videos that I've seen of these two systems didn't sound like my cup of tea. Both approach the flow path for exhaust gases in a similar manner. Valves shut looks to skip the x-pipe, and valves open flows through both x-pipe and bypass routes. The later seems to create a different tone than non-valved x-pipe systems.

It seems that a few factors matter and probably create subtle differences in the non-valved x-pipe systems out there:
    1. Pre-merge pipe length: From catalytic converter to x-pipe merge
    2. Tube diameter(s)
    3. Geometry of the x-pipe merge (size of opening in all 3 axes)
    4. Bend geometry
    Hoping the new Brooke solution + Kline cats will do the trick. I also enjoy working with Eddy Brooke as every system I've ordered is made to order after we discuss goals and concerns at length. Lots of opportunity to ask for what you want.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  25. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    My plans too. I don’t think anything sounds better from what I can tell.