Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    They are. Sleeker look, much less junk, and much lighter. I have them on my 458 and absolutely love them.

I’m also curious to see how the Pista will sound with the Kline. We must request a video if Pazzo009 would be so accommodating.....

2. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    ASAP, I plan to have videos and personal impressions shared on here and my Instagram. (pazzo009)

wthensler, LARRYH and Gh21631 like this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Bumper not taken off ? The 3 that i say getting done had the bumpers off ?

4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    It wasn’t necessary for the 458. I don’t know why the Pista would require it.

Also, the cats were done from the top, the exhaust bottom side, as one would expect.

Pazzo009 and MANDALAY like this.
  5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Diffuser off and then either full bumper off, or disassemble to the lower bumper. We did full bumper off.

My install is also finally complete (Akrapovic 200 Cell HFC downpipes + Novitec Flap Regulated Muffler). Just got back from a day at the track, so I'll have it back up on the lift either later this week or next week to do some post-track fluid changes. Will try and snap photos as well.

Caeruleus11 and mdrums like this.
  6. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    Wasn’t aware that Akrapovic has 200 cell downpipes for the Pista.
    Do you have a tune or a CEL deleter? Or no CEL with OEM Pista ECU?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I just heard a few videos of a Pista Piloti with the Kline system in Inconel. Sounded pretty darn great.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    It's on!!!!

This is assessment is based on a brief drive. I installed Kline Iconel cat back exhaust with Iconel 200 cell cats, and Capristo Valve controller. Overall I'm happy and there is no aspects of it that are obnoxious or too loud. It's not a drastic difference in sound, but there is definitely a difference, and it's improved.

Let me add that I'm a tough critic. I personally prefer a NA engine. I have modded my 3 prior Ferraris and loved the symphony they produce. I just got out of a F12 with Kline 200 cells, Capristo X-pipe, and a tune. It was truly magnificent. The Pista is an amazing car in other ways, and I expected it would never come close to the sound I was accustomed to. This opinion I am giving is purely subjective, as in all aspects of what we admire or dislike in automobile attributes. I digress.

-Did not hear cold start yet. However, regular starts...Sounds great. Nice growl, definite change. As we revved at idle, you hear more bass, more grunt, and turbo whistle is more pronounced.

-I believe there is a mild bump in mid range power.

-No drone overall, however there are small pockets of it under 3000 rpms as you slowly accelerate. It's not overwhelming or a burden IMO.

-Overall more bass, and a throatier sound. Definite improvement IMO. On slowing down to a light and you lift off throttle and decel, you get some nice burbles. When you accelerate from a stop, you hear much more turbo whistle. When you get above 5000 at WOT, some of that natural Ferrari scream comes back to life. This is where the exhaust really shines. I think I may be hearing more spool too. I do have a BMC drop in btw.

I cannot upload videos on here, so right now I have a few clips on my Instagram, Pazzo009. But nonetheless, exhaust videos never do them justice.

Disclaimer- due to the brief time I drove the car, at the moment we did those few passes, I am uncertain if the valves were open. After the vids we took, and as I drove on the highway, I messed with the valve controller and when I went WOT I heard more sound. So I will investigate further and update this thread. While driving at cruise, I found it was difficult to notice a change in sound using the controller. I will definitely experiment with this more.

Stay tuned, I will continue to update this thread.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Pazzo are the small pockets with the controller holding valves held open or in stock setting?

10. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I'm not sure, but my guess is no. I think it's just a characteristic of the new configuration. Again, I need to drive it more but from what I experienced it's not bad and it's very brief.

I'm planning on taking her out tonight. I will update.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I checked put your videos on Instagram, it is difficult to really hear any differences. Mine should go on next week (I hope). I'll also post up dyno runs before and after for comparison.

12. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I understand....Vids never do justice and typically aren't a good gauge of change or improvement. Either way, from my brief drive I am satisfied. I have to be realistic in knowing there couldn't be a drastic change in this configuration.

If anyone wants that, you gotta go straight pipe. Unfortunately there is pros and cons to that. Boden autohaus has some Pista's they worked on with a titanium setup and I believe catless. They sound amazing...But, youre gonna need a tune, you'll likely have drone, and you will smell fuel. If youre okay with that, then I encourage anyone.

13. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    Anyone knows a shop which have Kline 200 cell downpipes on stock for the Pista and shipping worldwide?

Kline itself unfortunately has lead time of 14 weeks as of today.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

14. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    ****UPDATE****

Took her out tonight. When I initially took it out and took the vids, I believe the valves were on setting 1. On the Capristo remote, setting 1 is OEM and setting 2 is full open. When I took the videos I believe it was on 1.

From inside the car, at setting 1...at stationary revs, 1 sounds slightly throatier. Setting 2, you hear a change (not louder or lower, but a change) but smoother sound. Almost as it were closed perhaps.

While driving, the sound is hardly different between both settings, EXCEPT in setting 2, when you hit WOT after 5000 rpms to redline, it sounds crazy! Hugely comes to life, its a mix of raw engine sound and rushing air. It's unique and exhilarating.

So bottomline, it's not a drastic change in sound. Normal driving, I can hardly tell anything changed. Maybe slightly louder. That may be a good thing or a disappointing thing to some. You get some burbles on decel or throttle lift. But, after 5000 rpms, is where it truly comes alive and makes it worth it.

Sadly, downshifts are vapid imo, albeit I just got out of an F12 that was modded and downshifts were audibly stimulating.

At next opportunity I will do passes with both settings to see if there is an audible difference between settings that translates out the exhaust from a person at a stationary point outside the car. I want to know if it sounds as drastically different outside as it does in cabin over 5000 rpms.

I'll update when that occurs.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't forget that you also lose the ability to track your Pista. At least here in Europe, a straight piped Pista would be black flagged at the gate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for the detailed update. Agreed sound vids don’t work well. I applaud you for experimenting and providing this level of knowledge to this Forum. I hereby elect you to do the review on the hum amplifier when the full electric version hits the streets, LOL!

Pazzo009 likes this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I may be completely off here, but just in reading and rereading about the sounds between 1 and 2 on the Capristo remote. They should sound the same at idle, no? The polarity had to be reversed on my Capristo remote install because the valves would actually fully close if I pushed the button at idle.

18. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    @Pazzo009 It sounds like the controller is not connected to the correct solenoids. This happened to me as well. Shoot me a PM.

19. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #444 SECRET, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Actually, since I've literally spent over $16k and countless weeks at the shop on exhaust BS in the name of finding the right solutions, someone should at least benefit from my months of learnings.

I'll just post it here to help everyone considering the Capristo Valve Controller for the Pista.

There are TWO SETS OF SOLENOIDS with very similar connectors on the same wiring harness. One of them controls the muffler's valves and the other one links up to modulate the accumulator.

IF THE CAPRISTO VALVE CONTROLLER IS HOOKED UP INCORRECTLY (SOLENOIDS #26 in diagram below), you will hear a tone change when you flip between Capristo Remote buttons 1 and 2. That is because you are modulating the vacuum accumulator. You need to put your ears right near the exhaust tips at idle to hear the tone change when your flipping between the buttons. It's very slight.

IF THE CAPRISTO VALVE CONTROLLER IS HOOKED UP CORRECTLY (SOLENOIDS #13 in diagram below), literally nothing should happen when you flip between Capristo Remote buttons 1 and 2. And while driving, you will DEFINITELY hear the difference when release the throttle. Valves **will NOT** slam shut so you will hear light burbles and pops on overrun.

If you're not smiling ear to ear from the Capristo controller, then you're likely connected to the wrong solenoids. I made a little diagram to help your tech figure out if the right connections are being made. Best way is to trace back the vacuum line from the valves on the muffler.

20. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Thank you very much. I showed this to my tech and he was aware of everything encompassed. He said it's right.

Now, to reiterate... At idle, when I go to 1 or 2, I hear the valve move, but the difference in sound is nominal.

Upon WOT open throttle when it's in position 2, it's very loud after 5000 rpms. If it's on position 1, at that same throttle aspect, it sounds stock

21. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    #446 Lagunae92, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    So it is functioning differently than stock?

Meaning if it is a stock exhaust system with a remote, there should be no change at idle(not cold start idle, but general idle). The only time I know position 2 is selected is once I’ve hit 2000rpm and the valve hasn’t killed the sound.

SECRET likes this.
  22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    By the description you made, the tech did not install it on the correct solenoids.

When you're at idle, when you got between 1 or 2, you should literally hear nothing because the valves should be wide open already (whether it is in OEM mode aka Button 1 or Capristo Sport aka Button 2).

When its on Button 2 aka Capristo Sport mode, it should be loud all the time.

23. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    The tech swears he did, and I'm planning on bringing it back just to be certain.

At idle, when you hit the button there is a sound of valves moving. The change in exhaust sound is very minor, and if you rev it stationary, you dont hear a change in sound.

24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Yeah, from my experience that doesn't sound right if the valves are moving(unless during cold start). Good to get it checked out. Any more thoughts on the sound?

25. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I'm going to try and make a video of the idle aspect.

I drove it on Weds night... Like I said a few posts ago. Not much of a change until WOT after 5000

So I'm not sure if this is a valve aspect or the just how the exhaust is. I also must take into consideration that with a turbo car, the turbo itself is a muffler so I wasn't expecting a drastic change. I suppose if you go straight pipe, then it's a game changer.