Pista allocation with premium price? | FerrariChat

Pista allocation with premium price?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by darrencsh, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darrencsh

darrencsh Rookie

Sep 13, 2013
    Hi all,
    I was offered a Pista with a premium price of £100k over MSRP. I own a Speciale, and plan to keep the car.
    With this premium, im worried after full production is out... more units available in the market, there might be ppl selling lesser that what im paying now, the £100k premium.

Should i take the dive now, or wait and see
    Thanks guys!

2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    If you are the 1st buyer...and registered as such with Ferrari....yes, do it.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I passed on a Pista at MSRP - so obviously would not pay a £100K premium...
    IMHO the list price of the Pista is already stretched (just compare the Pista / GTB price gap to the initial Speciale / Italia gap); of course I cannot tell where speculators could lead the market.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    In other words you are asking if the Pista will always be at a huge premium

To me you'd be wasting your money for two reasons - it is not exactly a limited car so not only might more allocations appear but also whilst there might be a bubble as with the 458 Speciale & 430 Scud there will still be more cars so any on-going premium logically should be lower

Oh and you can only drive one car at any one time so if you are keeping the other....

And I suspect the extensive existing 488 Pista threads have covered this at length

5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    This is just a dealer mule offering you an allocation. Seems the "buy a Lusso and lose big" didn't work well, they're now using the tactic you mentioned above.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That may not be the case here …...

TheDiffuser likes this.
  7. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Wait and see.

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If you really want it , take it. Especially if you don't mind the extra 100. Think of it this way I paid that in Tax for just buying a 488 GTB. So you have it good in your neck of the woods.

9. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I'd wait if your not in a hurry. 100k over is a lot of money

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Is Ferrari also requiring that these cars be heavily optioned?

11. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    no. order the way you want.

12. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    Iife is too short to be waiting...if you can swing the 100k just get it and dont look back...just make more money. No one can predict where prices will be at in the future...cars are not investments just buy and enjoy

13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    for most of my life, I was on the side of...waiting.

Waiting for prices to fall, waiting for this or that. WHY?

Assuming you have your financial ducks in order, why wait? Honestly, if getting a Pista will make you incredibly happy (and motivated) why not allow yourself that experience sooner vs later?

Waiting for the value to decrease in a modern Ferrari is a long wait. If owning a Pista is a 10 for you...as it is me...how will you feel knowing you are getting one? How will you feel once it arrives and its YOURS? The emotional charge of this experience may cause you to supercharge your personal earnings and other aspects of your life. Ferraris aren't just cars.

Your Pista at +100k will be worth what you paid to another buyer. What is your true $$ cost to owning the car? The entry price is just that, entry price. Chances are you will get it back if/ when you decide to sell it on.

You only live once, you are dead a really long time.

14. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I'm in Maranello next month to spec my Pista. And thoroughly excited about it too. It will be a sensational car; I own a Speciale and will keep it for sure. But I'm expecting the Pista to be operating in a different orbit. Its power/weight advantage over the Speciale is mind-blowing.

But would I pay 100K over for a Pista? No.

IPO1, R8 BKK and Gh21631 like this.
  15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Only you can answer for you. Is it a good financial move? Probably not. Is the car worth the price to you? Simple really.

Bhh likes this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would just buy one of the 53 RHD 16M in the UK instead.

17. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Unless one have $ to throw away and not care about it, I would not pay $100k over (or buy another car that I don’t want for a loss) to get a Pista. I think the here are still lots of unknowns about this car and is uncertain how the market will react when they see it on the streets, hear its sound, and be able to test drive the emotional and driving dynamics VS other options at lower price points.
    Say that you pay $100k over, if you change your mind and trade it in for a different model, would the dealer give you some of that money back or offer MSRP or something lower for them to make a profit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    wait two years

ciao

19. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    No. That price is ridiculous capitalization on something that will likely be $50-75k (USD) over sticker once released for a year. Wait and see...

If it was an Aperta version, then I would say yes.

20. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

Incredibly well said !! +100

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As long as you own the car the same length of time, does it really matter?

If you drive a car from 2020 - 2025 and then get the replacement, is that any worse than driving it from 2019 - 2024 and then getting the replacement? You'll drive them all the same amount of time, and every new car will arrive with the same delay.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    They are making a lot of them in various configurations so no it is not worth $100K over MSRP. Depends on your value of money but prices go down on these unlimited turbo cars.

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    And even the Speciale, universally acclaimed as the last of the NA special versions, is now selling for around MSRP. It's a very good result for a 3 years old car, but not a way to make money; anyone having paid significantly more than MSRP for a Speciale would lose money if selling now. It does not mean it would not have been worth it, but it would have been a net cost. And the base price of the Speciale was far more sensible than the base price of the Pista.
    The 458 Aperta is selling for more than MSRP because it was officially strictly limited, in any case the number of 458 Aperta is in hundreds while the number of Speciale is in thousands (like the number of Pista will be).

boobernackle likes this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    "Oh jeez, I don't know what I want to do. What do you think dear? You know I am mad for these cars, I love everything about them. I love driving them, admiring them, the friends and comaraderie I have with liked-minded enthusiasts; weekend drives through the hills.

Who knows what the values of cars and stocks and bonds are going to do? We have the money 'ya know.

You know what I think...I may wait to see what they drop down to. Wouldn't want to lose any money.

I'll check back in on prices and used cars in a couple years or so."

(Fast forward a couple years)

Phone rings........

You sit down, ears ringing, feel nauseated. You catch a sideways reflection of your mildly yellowed eyes in the mirror above the counter as you pivot.

"Ahh. Honey? That was the Doctor's office. He wants to see me tomorrow. That CT scan showed a shadow in my pancreas. What the hell is a shadow!?"

25. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I'd drive it first if possible