Pininfarina's Revenge Beating Ferrari to a full electric | FerrariChat

Pininfarina's Revenge Beating Ferrari to a full electric

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Jun 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    from **********,com where you can post your opinion as well...

HOME - CLASSIC CARS - PININFARINA’S BATTISTA- GOING FULL ELECTRIC BEFORE FERRARI
    Pininfarina’s Battista- Going Full Electric Before Ferrari
    JUNE 2, 2021

Image Unavailable, Please Login

They promise staggering performance for a road car: power and torque of 1,900 hp and 2,300 Nm, providing acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in less than two seconds (faster than a current Formula 1 car), 300 km/h in less than 12 seconds and the ability to run all the way up to up to 350 km/h.

The cars will be allocated equally between the regions of North America, Europe, and the Middle East/Asia. There will be retail stores from Los Angeles to London to Tokyo. Plans are in place for the opportunity to fully personalize each car at Pininfarina SpA’s Cambiano headquarters.

You have to admire Pininfarina’s chutzpah, making an end run around their famous client Ferrari. Ferrari hasn’t announced an all electric car yet and only has some hybrids which can go just a few miles in electric mode only power. Pininfarina figures this car to be the halo model for a range of luxury electric cars from Automobili Pininfarina, announcing “It is more than simply a new car reveal, but a pivotal moment in time for the new automotive environment: the first zero-emissions, Italian luxury car.”

I agree with their ambition and here’s my take on the car.

The Man in White Opinionates: A Design Critique
    FRONT Very Ferrari-ish. Only thing that sets is it apart is the lit up tube of light at the bottom edge of the front boot lid.

SIDE Again very much like Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini. You wonder why do they need big side scoops when there’s no engine to cool through radiators?

REAR Very Ferrari-ish, McLarenish, you wonder what’s the scientific advantage of splitting the rear spoiler.

IN SUM Though it presents nothing new in design, overall it has the ambiance of a mid-engined hypercar.

This car could be Ferrari’s worse nightmare if it catches on, and it will be much easier to certify for US importation because of zero emissions. You wonder if some other automakers with existing showrooms will negotiate this car into their showrooms. I think Tesla should look at it. Their latest roadster was promised more than five years ago and is already old before it hits the showroom. But maybe it’s price is where Tesla wouldn’t want to go–back in 2020, Pininfarina was talking $2.5 million for each Battista…

Let us know what you think in the Comments.

THE AUTHOR: Wallace Wyss, the author of 18 car books, has been a guest lecturer at the Art Center College of Design. As a fine artist he portrays the great Italian classics. For a list of works available write [email protected]

Get My Car Quest by email – click here.

CLASSIC CARS TAGGED WITH: CAR DESIGN, ELECTRIC CAR, FERRARI, PININFARINA, PININFARINA BATTISTA, WALLACE WYSS
    Comments
    1. Image Unavailable, Please Login Wes Stewart says
      June 2, 2021 at 5:47 am
      Range? Probably just enough to drive from the transporter to the Sheikh’s car collection.

2. Image Unavailable, Please Login wallace wyss says
      June 2, 2021 at 7:26 am
      According to Automobile magazine 280 mile range, of course depending on how fast you drive. And I was wrong about the radiator air intakes, according to Automobile magazine , “it needs five radiators, radiators located around the car to help manage the temperatures of the 120-kWh,T-shaped lithium-manganese-nickel battery pack, as well as the four liquid-cooled Rimac synchronous permanent magnet electric motors.”

So here I thought we were done with radiators with the switchover to electrics but some electric cars need a lot of them..

3. Image Unavailable, Please Login Wayne Watkins says
      June 3, 2021 at 2:02 am
      Just where could you drive these rockets ? Maybe in Germany’s autobahns where there is no speed limit . Five radiators to replace when they reach their use by date , plus the four liquid- cooled motors .

2. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Not only do the batteries and motors require serious cooling, the battery coolants are oil-based!

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    A Ferrari (or Pininfarina) with a battery is not a Ferrari.
    What's the difference between an all electric Ferrari and a Tesla? Just the price. Cars with no soul.

lgs and F1tommy like this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I have a sneaking feeling Ferrari will still be making ICE hybrids in 2050 or be just a memory. Maybe Hydrogen or other fuel powered ICE motors but still ICE. Things will not end up like the government thinks they will. Can't wait for the back tracking to begin due to several major problems that will arise!! I actually think used ICE powered car values will shoot up in the 2030's as they become harder to get new and those major problems start to get worse. The government will ofcourse tax the hell out of gasoline by then to try and force change.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    All exotic cars will have to be hybrids by 2025 if various ecology factions in each major city try to lock out internal combustion cars from parks, and cultural centers of cities on Sunday mornings first, then all day Sunday. Any hybrid owner can come up to this border, press E and continue but the pure internal combustion cars will be ticketed. If the Ferrari engine, say a 4 cam all alloy dry sump V8 produces something like 550-hp it will still be sought after even if the Greenies keep trying to fence off
    access. I agree an all electric would be missing the soul of a Ferrari' a Ferrari without a heart....

6. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    I remember when the 996 showed up and the 993 guys all thought it would be the end of Porsche, as the cars had lost their soul.

And then when they decided to launch the Cayenne, it would be the end of Porsche, as the cars had lost their soul.

And when they came up with started doing away with the normally aspirated engines, as they are now in the 992's it would be the end of Porsche, as the cars had lost their soul.

In the Ferrari neck of the woods, the same can be said for when F1 showed up, or when the turbos showed up (with the exception of the F40 of course.)

Though I'm a normally aspirated V8 or V12 guy, and love a 3 pedal manual, Ferrari recognized that they had to offer F1 because it 's faster. I will buy an electric Ferrari before I will likely buy a non-normally aspirated one. My reasoning is this: the sound of an F430, or 355, or a 458 or a Speciale is amazing. It is a symphony that Mozart himself can't match. If they're going to slowly take the sound away from us, I'd rather it be an electric and perform like a Ferrari on a track with gorgeous styling and cutting edge aero while making sure we aren't getting our doors blown off by 4 door Teslas with 7 people inside. The new Roadster with the SpaceX package is forecast to do 0-60 in 1.1 seconds! And the Model S Plaid / + yes, it's not a Ferrari, but that 4 door sedan plaid + just ran a 9.23 quarter mile, and a 1.99 second 0-60!

As a Ferrari owner, I want Ferrari to be around for the long haul, and not be reduced to a relic of history. The writing is on the wall. They should keep making normally aspirated V8's & V12's alongside some really fast electrics. I would lose no sleep if they announced the force fed engines were going away tomorrow, if they brought back the normally aspirated V8's maybe even with an electric mode with 150kms of range to meet all the more stringent rules that are coming into effect.

Time waits for no one.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Technology towards environmentally responsible 100 percent carbon neutral fuel may be an answer starting with aviation. You can reclaim atmospheric carbon through a process that strips CO2 molecules from the air and “energizes” them into hydrocarbons which can be made into any type of fuel. Aircraft will still be using Jet A style fuels for many many years to come in their turbine engined aircraft. Battery technology currently is a dead end street due to it's limitations until they develop another non lithium source. Sure Lithium is in the ocean and all around us but it will drive economies into a screeching halt trying to extract the very small amounts out of the salt water. Dream and wish and hug a tree or two, but it won't happen as fast as they think it will. And that's not even taking into consideration the extreme cost of upgrading the electrical grids. Texas/Cali style brownouts will be everywhere all the time!!

Also what about big cities with thousands of cars parked on the streets in the cold winter. Cold makes batteries go dead.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Let me restate, battery technology currently is a dead end street due to it's limitations until they develop another non lithium source that does not require a military budget to purchase. There just is not enough readily available Lithium on earth to power all the cars.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I cant imagine Ferrari cares at all about what they are doing