Pininfarina emblems | FerrariChat

Pininfarina emblems

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Jun 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 dstacy, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I get a good laugh every time I do a little work on my car. I swear no 2 cars are exactly alike.

The picture is of the Pininfarina emblem from my left front fender. It looked a little rough so I figure, "easy job, replace it with one that is in good shape".
    Oh silly boy, it is a hand built Ferrari, not a chevy. I take it off and walk around the car to check the condition of the other one and I discover they are different!
    The one pictured, from its condition, seems to be the original one. The other side has a silver crown and no scroll work in the "F".

I can tell you this; it seems nobody has this exact emblem. I was on the phone all morning calling around the globe. There are lots of red or silver crown ones without the scroll work, but not with the scroll work. A few out there have the diagonal lines in the red triangles, but no crown. What a riot!
    I managed to find 2 and snapped them up right away.

I'd really like to know what you guys have on your cars. Do me a favor and wander out to the garage and take a peek for me. This should be interesting.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    #2 ferrariartist, Jun 29, 2006
    LOL.. probably one logo was put on at one shifts end and the other the next day... :)

I did a google search to see what would come up... there are SO many...
    PF has done alot of different makes of cars Alfas, Caddys and of course Fcars... yet the varied logos on the cars are astounding...

it would be neat to see a timeline of the different logos to see if there is some logic to the changes...

found some neat closeups from the net...

one from this UK ebay auction.. looks close...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ferrari-Pininfarina-f-Badge-275-330-365-500-Superfast_W0QQitemZ4646243138QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10380QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

facinating... this should be interesting to see...

GT

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "Hey Luigie, you think thisa one is ok?"
    "Gusiepe, I tella you alla time, she no make a difference, shes a Ferrrrrari..she's a gonna be a different."

Yep, I saw all the differences. Too funny.
    I saw the one you found on Ebay. The background is wrong. It should be silver.

I agree this is going to be very interesting to see if there are a lot of 365/400 owners with different emblems.

4. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Silver crown w/ solid blue "f" on my '84 400i. Both sides. Boring, huh? Interesting thread though!

5. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    '84 400iA. Same on both sides. Silver crown, red bars, blue F. You can see scroll work thru the translucent blue but it is not obvious as in the original post.

Brennan, take a flashlight and go look at your F and see if there is scroll work under the blue.

Al

6. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Yes, you're right! There is scroll work under the blue on mine. Under a flashlight though, the blue looks to be a little purple too.

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It gets worse.

I'm sitting here looking at 4 emblems that I've ordered and had FedEx'd to me. Can you believe that all 4 have the same part number stamped on the back, but...

1 has threaded studs with the correct distance between them.
    1 has no threads with the correct space.
    1 has threads but the spread is 1/2" to big.
    1 has no threads with the spread 1/2" to big.

At this point this is comical.

The good news is the correct application for a 400 is a non threaded emblem with the narrower distance between the studs; which I now have.

For your future reference; the holes drilled in your fenders have a small rubberized grommet in them. This grommet has a hole in it which, when you push the smooth studs of the emblem through, expands and keeps the emblem in place.

8. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #8 TexasMike, Jul 1, 2006
  9. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #9 TexasMike, Jul 1, 2006
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I doubt the rubber grommet alone will hold it...are you sure there were not "push nuts" little spring steel clips on the smooth posts?

I'd smooth the back off and go with the 3m Emblem adhesive sheet rubber stuff, sticky on both sides......

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No nuts. I do know what you mean.
    The rubber expands just enough to hold it firmly.

13. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    This is my favorite thread so far, except of course my own, on Ferrarichat. There are lots of reasons to admire these cars and be proud of them, and these little idiosyncratic badges (I love the fictitious exchange between the Pininfarina workers above) really say it all. The determination to build something individualistic is at the heart of the Ferrari appeal, I think. Enzo Ferrari would have to have been a very hard man to get along with. In a world so determinedly mediocre and conformist, it took tremendous strength and emotional distance from others to make these wonderful cars. Thanks for posting this thread and all of you for the photos. They are beautiful.

14. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Is it just me, or does the 400 look too angular to be a Pininfarina design? I thought it looks more Bertone...

Maybe the badges are fakes! :)

Kraig

15. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #16 400iGuy, Jul 7, 2006
  16. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Nice shot! Where was that pic taken? Looks to be a red 400 a few cars down. I have yet to see another red 400i besides mine.

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Looks like a red 412. Painted front bumper...<Grin>

18. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    3 400i/412 series cars in one place! That matches the most I've ever seen in one spot, at the Hartford Concorso a couple of years ago.

John

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My 365 is finally going to be dropped off at my house later today, I'll check and see if which ones I have on it.

21. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    It was taken April 29 at the 3rd annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival held in downtown Celebration, FL. This show was a charity event for the Make a Wish Foundation and had a FXX, Enzo, Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1, Maserati MC12 in additon to a bunch of nice ferraris (and other exotics). The only older one was a very nice Lusso.

The red one is a 412.

Al

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #23 judge4re, Jul 9, 2006
  23. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    A 400i showed up at our own "Make-A-Wish" charity event in Toronto
    I took a couple of shots of the pf badging.

Didnt think to check the other side tho :)

here are the shots
    http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ferrariartist/Make-A-Wish%202006/?action=view&current=DSC02471.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch17
    http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ferrariartist/Make-A-Wish%202006/?action=view&current=DSC02472.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch16

had quite a turnout.. heres a link to the album if you wish to see... the 400i had its hood up, so i got some interesting detail shots of the engine.
    http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ferrariartist/Make-A-Wish%202006/

enjoy.

GT