Pikes Peak Intl. Raceway next open track event July 16-17 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pikes Peak Intl. Raceway next open track event July 16-17

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by quickchickleslie, May 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kpl

kpl Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    #52 kpl, Jul 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Leslie for putting on such a fun event. I'll be back in October.

Thanks Roland for letting my son back your F40 out of the trailer and into the garage. He's still talking about how he got to "drive" the F40

Here are a few more pictures:

My absolute favorite was the yellow 550 "detailed" with a beautiful patina of bugs and road grime. No trailered garage queen for that guy!

Lots of fun machinery there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kpl

kpl Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    For those who are truly bored (and easily entertained):

I put together a track day video from Saturday.

It's kind of big (40mb) and in WMV format.

right click, and "save as" to download:

www.larsonweb.com/car/ppir.wmv

3. ponycar

ponycar Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2005
    I'll never forget PPIR Saturday! KPL's photos and that GREAT video (him and his son, doing two camera shooting...wow!) capture it all! AND he had the Viper's A/C on too (hey, a guy's gotta be comfortable!)

What a great, relaxed, safe and happy event with such wonderful, caring and fun people! Leslie is one of this sport's kindest and most focused people AND perhaps its best-kept secret-- which I think is because the "guys" who (others tell me) get a lot of the "credit" for events Leslie has helped make genuine successes are intimidated by her is incredible Italian Pininfarina lines and that smile! Oh that smile! Between Leslie and Brandi, the future's so bright, a guy's gotta wear shades! Brandi's the kind of girl whose toe polish matches her car.

What a week!
    I've had the Ferrari exactly a year now, sold a house and finished paying for it Thursday. I left Breckenridge at about 11pm, Friday and drove it on new tires and allignment with a new Stebro pipe over Hooser Pass, one of Colorado's hairiest. The great thing about driving mountain passes at night is you can see if there are headlights coming in the other direction. I missed two deer, a rabbit big enough to eat and a beautiful red fox!

And the next day, rolling down from Woodland Park into the Springs and PPIR was just a ball. Finding that I was being parked between a racing Porsche and a silver Cobra to die for was really cool too! And then, going out on the track and having Nick's yellow Ford GT eat me alive on a straight and ALWAYS seeing that white Diablo of David's in my mirror...wavering on a different line than I was taking in the corners was a trip! Being the last in a line of cars was the best... chasing all kinds of cars, like Harald Galinski's beautiful black racing Porsche (I'm getting some of that red caliper paint he makes at G2USA.com) and Paragon's #244 was a blast (the driver of #244 was nice enough to loan his track suit to the kid who wanted to go for a ride in my car. Out on the track with him, we got BLACK FLAGGED! I freaked when I then discovered my turn signal had been flipped-on during the hard cornering. When I pulled in to the pits with the kid, I found out the black flag was because some other pit groupie named Roland wanted to go for a ride! These pit groupies! You take one for a ride and they ALL want to go!)

After a couple laps with me driving, Roland took it for .....six or eight laps (I lost count due to relativistic effects as we approached light speed) and was simply amazed at what the car could do--without, as Roland put it, "Brutalizing" it. I was fascinated by the different driving lines that Roland and the other instructor, Stim, were happy with me taking. I think I'll stay a Group One/Two guy for years-- until I can heel and toe and get the right line at slow speeds...and do it right!

And at the party at La Quinta in the evening, it was great fun hanging out in the cabana with new friends, sipping Leslie's decafinated Margaritas, hearing how the Stebro pipe made my car sound like an F1 on the straights and waiting for my Match.con date who didn't show (although Dennis and Phil said they'd take care of Stephanie if she did) I got sung Happy Birthday to and went back up the the house in Woodland Park and slept the happy sleep. The dream was titled "Midlife Crisis" :)

4. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LOL great video. I loved the commentary. The owner of the "green shoebox" occasionally posts here, last Summer he gave one of my buddies a ride while I was in Rolands LM and he said that was the coolest car hes ever been in! He said it was pretty scary though, seing the ground about a 1ft away from you flying by at about 130MPH!

I was sad I couldnt get down to PPIR, I was on at a track, but not the racing kind. Gotta train hard for a track meet in New Orleans the first week of August!

Hopefully I can make the October FoD invite!

5. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  6. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I think that Ponycar had a great time !!! He is right, we do have over the years a great team to work with. I feel privilege to be a small part of that group.
    John and his 550 is a story in it self but you're right , the Dude drives the hell out of her and I sure had a blast to take the yellow 550 on some fast laps. Next event at PPIR Octpber 8/9 with the Ferrari days and the Bentley school.
    See you at the Ferrari BBQ next Saturday, thanks to ALL the participants, with out you, this couldn't happen.
    Roland
    F40LM