News

Pierre Gasly interview ( Hubert, Red Bull etc)

Discussion in 'F1' started by jpalmito, Mar 22, 2021.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Thank you.

jpalmito likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Three Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    South Pacific
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The way he tells the immediate aftermath with Hubert is very sad.

--

I believe he's heading to Alpine in 2022. No way does anyone light the fire with a top team...The Red Bull was a tough car to drive, but it was the same for both drivers. There is no way that Red Bull intentionally held him back. There is no way in hell a car that poorly is designed with 1 driver in mind. A car that's not easy to drive simply isn't fast. Max could handle the flawed car. I don't know what Gasly refers to as ''changes'' that took weeks to implement but it sure looks like whatever he suggested didn't work anyways, as he was always miles off the pace.

Max did get parts earlier in some back to back races but those don't account for such big differences, and the difference was calculated in with Red Bull anyways. With 1 guy being clearly the better driver and their only chance at podiums and even wins, what did Pierre honestly expect? Give up the chance of glory or podiums so the guy trundling around in 8th to move up a place?

He's clearly much happier in the Toro Rosso, a car that suits him. Albon drove the RBR a little better than Pierre could, so clearly the problem was with Gasly not the team. Red Bull had nothing to gain with a badly performing 2nd driver.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

Senna1994 likes this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    One can only agree with you.
    Max is clearly a better driver.
    Nevertheless something does not fit in the human management of Gasly by Red Bull. I remain convinced that a confident Pierre Gasly in his car is superior to Albon and Perez.

Senna1994, Nembo1777 and Bas like this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    South Pacific
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes I agree with that. I'm not sure what happened for Gasly to have suddenly switched on like he did on his return to Toro Rosso.

But from Red Bull's perspective I also understand it, Gasly wasn't performing, Verstappen showed that clearly the car was capable of doing much better, and Red Bull has the luxury of a 2nd team they can pick drivers from. They had to do it. It proved to have been a pointless exercise as Albon wasn't much better. Now lets see what Perez can do...even if the car now is an easier to drive car, which will of course distort the pictre.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Max in the 2019 Red Bull reminds me of Schumacher in the Benetton B194.
    A midfield car without its top driver.
    One thing is certain, Gasly is mentally very strong.
    I can’t believe the comeback he made.

375+, Nembo1777 and Bas like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    South Pacific
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep absolutely on both fronts.

Gasly especially with his very good friend passing, it's not easy to get in the car the next day and go for it...also considering that that was his first race since his sacking from Red Bull. I like the guy.

I do wish Toro Rosso would invest in a better microphone when he starts screaming from excitement. My ears still hurt:D

Nembo1777, 375+ and jpalmito like this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Red Bull needs to figure out how to move the car in the direction the 2nd driver wants so that they get more points from fielding 2 cars.
    It has been happening to RB since 2011-- one leader, one also-ran.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    South Pacific
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull has such an advantage over the midfield, finishing 2nd or 3rd in the WCC is pretty much a non issue for them. Their eyes are on the big one: WDC. Their car hasn't been fast enough to challenge for the win regularly, so concentrating on the 2nd car is pretty pointless. Even if the 2nd car was much more on pace, they wouldn't have won titles...likely a few more wins, but if ultimate performance was negatively affected in chasing a more drivable car...nothing is gained.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Max is a top tier pro though. Could go down as an all time great. Pierre is decent. Not the same level. This was a beautifully written piece, though.

Bas and jpalmito like this.