Pierre Bardinon/Steve McQueen connection | FerrariChat

Pierre Bardinon/Steve McQueen connection

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by richardson michael, Oct 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    I have followed the Bardinon sale thread shown below. However,scanning through my book 'A French Kiss with Death',I note that Pierre bought a burnt out 512S from Solar Productions after the car,which was hired out to the film makers by Jacques Swatter from Belgium,caught fire while being driven by Derek Bell. Derek comments that Jacques was not best pleased,and Bardinon paid $5000 for the remains. I wonder what happened to this car...it did not seem to feature in the sale,I also question how many of the 25 cars assembled and sold to comply with homoligation,still survive? No doubt Marcel may have the answers.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  3. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Thanks Steven, So it seems that Bardinon passed it on in the UK,possibly to Modena/NM. not wishing to spent a fistful of dosh for the restoration,which explains the fact that it did not show in his locker after he had passed on. Very interesting article. .....I turned up at the 1982 French GP at Paul Ricard to assist my friend in a supporting race with his 512M. I changed the plugs four times during the weekend,and still suffer from backpain gained then!. During the event ,it was clear that the gearing had to be changed (very fast track with long strait) This was well out of my remit,but fortunately Bob was on hand to guide me through it,thank god. During the race the car had a front suspension failure at the point between changing from 4th to 5th,so around 180mph on the backstraight. It was returned to Cirencester for a complete rebuild.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks for sharing your 512M encounter at Paul Ricard. I don't think the French custodian referred to would have been Pierre Bardinon but perhaps Marcel could clarify.