Pick one: Ducati 998 or 999 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pick one: Ducati 998 or 999

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by UroTrash, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

749/999 are good runners to be sure. they are however becoming very japanese sport bike looking. the 748/998 are not to be mistaken for anything but italian. along w/ the mv agusta, the 748/998 are the best looking bikes of the modern era.

748/998=57 t-bird

749/999=58 t-bird

get what i mean?!!

2. modenaboy

modenaboy Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Gordie
    I haven't ridden any Duc's yet, so some of this is conjecture, but I think I'd go for the 749 over the 999 for what I'm looking for. Pure speed and low down torque isn't everything, let's be honest here, unless you are too lazy to downshift from 6th gear, a 749 is plenty fast for the street! We're talking about 0-120 in around 11 or 12 seconds, right? I'm pretty sure you can pass just about anything you need to (except for a 999, which - ahem - won't pass a GSX-R/etc., and at this point now we're into who's the better rider if we're talking about curves anyway).

I've put a lot of miles on a CBR600F3, a ZX-7R (what an awesome underrated, if heavy and extremely UNCOMFORTABLE bike!), a TL1000S (which is an evil evil beast, not recommended unless you are a stunt rider), and various other friend's bikes like a Honda Fireblade, and an R1 (well, OK, only 50 miles up in the mountain on the R1, but man I loved that puppy).

Anyway, truth be told, I enjoyed the 600 the most for a few reasons.

Now, as a caveat, just because I liked the 600 the best, doesn't mean it was the best choice, or it is the best! It just matched what I wanted, which was...

I could crack the throttle WFO on the 600 in the street, and hold it there for a healthy moment without getting to supraillegal speeds immediately - and I could hardly ever get away with that on the bigger bikes unless I had a lot of room. There is something to be said for the joy of pinning the throttle to the stop. On the track, if that's where you ride, and you are good, well, of course you can do that with even the new ZX-10R (all hail the new king!). A friend of mine who was a much better rider and I went to Laguna and his bike was much faster (and he was faster even on an equiv bike), but I got to keep that throttle pinned constantly on my bike and boy was that fun...

Also, bikes with a smaller engine have less reciprocating mass in the engine, and hence have a much different feel than a big bike spinning bigger pistons. I liked the feel of the 600, and I can only imagine what the new crop feel like. I have read (laugh all you want, haha!) the 749 is preferred by some over the 999 for this very reason, even though it isn't as fast.

Back when I rode a lot, I really wanted an R1 and as much power as I could get. Now, I'm more into the feel and sound and experience, and want something I can enjoy in the street without going too crazy.

Hence, I'm seriously considering a 749S.

At first, I hated how the new Ducs looked, but they really grew on me. I love the 749R (with all the carbon fiber and those black wheels) but that's overkill for me, I'm thinking the 749S (single seat with that red/white) will rock for me, especially as a street bike.

Edit - forgot to vote. I'd have said 998 last year, this year, after getting used to the looks of the 999 I'm gonna vote for that. The 916 range is still a gorgeous classic, but somehow the new 999 look (and 749) just started clicking for me....

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I think this is the reality of really twisty street riding. I live 1 hour from Deal's Gap, and I can tell you 600s (or smaller) very often can embarrass the liter bikes in the really tight stuff. I have seen a 150 2-stroke scream thru the Gap!

4. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    998 - One of the most Beautiful bikes ever.

999 - A face only R2D2 could love!

5. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Having owned both, I would personally pick the 998 for the track and the 999 for the road. The 999's having complete adjustability makes it more user friendly and a potential "tourer" if called for. The 998's are potent track tool (albeit heavy) and cost (somewhat) less than a 999S. Depending on the application, both bikes posses very distinct characters that only the rider may (or may not) judge for themselves. The perfect posing machine (for me atleast) would be a 999R (Fila or Xerox models). Regardless, both bikes are guaranteed ego machines! :D

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have owned a 999 for three years and considered, test rode, throught about etc the 916 since it was introduced in '94. Without a doubt the best base (non S or R) model of the 916 family is the 998. No question about it. I have also owned an early desmoquattro, and can tell you the Testaretta engine in the 998/999 is superior in every way to the pre-2002 desmoquattro engines. The desmoquattro heads are frankly a pain to work on yourself, where the testaretta engine is much easier. It seems to hold valve clearances longer too.

One thing that has prevented me from buying a 916/996/998 is the ergonomics, I have never felt comfortable on my albeit brief rides on them. The 999 is much, much more comfortable, and has stock adjustable footpegs and seat (monoposto). The handlebar position is perfect for me as well. The seat on a 999 looks like an upholstered board (it is), but it is perfectly shaped. It is the first bike I've owned that a Corbin or Sargent aftermarket seat wasn't a requirement.

The 999 is not perfect, suspension setup is very important as it greatly affect front end feel of the bike. The gas tank is tiny, and passenger seat sucks. The 998 with its twin pipes sounds better too. I have a Termi system on the 999 and it still isn't all that great. The looks are polarizing, but I can tell you the 999 does not photograph well. Its details however are much more impressive than even the 1098. Every little piece seems to be made just for that bike and is extremely well integrated.

At $9k or so for a very clean 2003-04 model, the 999 is one of the best values in used sportbikes today. They may slide to $7k over the years, but I doubt an excellent condition 999 will sell for less. A 998 is about the same price, so it comes down to personal preference.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wow! 4 year old thread lives!

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I usually love things Italian having lived in Italy for ~two years in the 70s and owned 6 Ferrari's and two Fiats over the last 20 years, I just do not like the styling of any of the Ducatis or Aprillias ... I test rode several a little over a month ago and went with a 2008 GSX1300R instead. I prefer the Japanese brand motorcycles much better...plus they are much less expensive, more reliable, require less maintenance, any needed maintenance and/or parts are less expensive plus they are faster...just my HO though...I've been riding for ~32 years and motorcycles are a blast .. you will have fun no matter what brand you buy...

9. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    998 is a design icon in the same way the 355 is, the 999 is obviously more modern and has that avant garde stylin. Id still hit the 998.

Either way, they are both stunning and much better looking than any of those cartoonish looking Japanese bikes, except maybe the R1.

10. cantdecide

cantdecide Karting

Jun 28, 2004
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Matt Hnderson
    I agree with the above, the 998 is the 355 of ducatis. Beautiful to look at, fantastic to drive hard, an icon in automotive development, but... not the one you want to drive every day to work and back...

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The 355 an icon...get a grip...and I love the looks and performance of my Hayabusa..and I like cartoons too...especially Foghorn Leghorn...

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :D ... BTW: I DO ride now, for a couple of years and 40,000 km's on my little 250 Suzuki.

Still dreaming of Ducatis ...
    Pete

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    To show you how long I've been riding...I raced a 1972 Suzuki TM250 in 1972!

14. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith

15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Ok, this is a little off topic but probably the best place to put it without starting a new thread. I have been riding Harley's for a couple years now and have been hit by the sport bike bug (not posing, I love the sound and appreciate them for what they are). Sometime in the future, probably a year off or so, I want to look into getting a 600cc bike; can I make that kind of a jump safely or would I be better off with a 250cc for a bit? I know the riding position and basically everything else is different on the two types of bikes, but will I have to relearn to ride or will some transfer over?

Thank you,

Mark

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It transfers over...I rode dirt bikes for a decade or more before I had a street bike. And I rode a Harley Fatboy for over a decade and an American Ironhorse LSC for three years before getting my current 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa. What will surprise you more than anything is how smooth and comfortable a sport bike is after riding a Harley.

17. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Even the man who designed the 1098 also claimed that the R1 was the best looking jap bike, it really is, the proportions are just right and it looks light on its feet.

The 355 is an icon, it still looks great 10 years later!............ im sorry but you have horrible taste in general, Hayabusa?........it has to be one of the ugliest bikes out there, along side with those BMWs, sure its fast, but a ZX 14 does the same job and looks alot better.

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The 308 is an icon...the 355 is a fake plastic front grill fill-in gap model between the unloved 348 and the 360. I like the R1 just fine...I am just not a Yamaha guy... and I test rode a ZX14, but just couldn't get comfortable...the Busa is as comfortable as a cruiser with the punch of a nuclear warhead ! And since I love the looks of the Busa, your opinion on its' looks is of no concern...especially from someone who owns the ugliest Alfa ever made..the Milano...YUCK-YUCK-YUCK! And since Suzuki sells every Busa it can produce and it is the most sought after open class bike on the market, I suspect that there are thousands more who like it as much as I do...

19. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    the 308 is an icon to your generation.......my generation prefers the 355 and the perfect proportions it has, just look at that rear. My Milano is akward, definately not beautiful,never claimed it was, but im aware of it, unlike your Busa.

20. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    998 R

998 R

998 R

998 R

998 R

998 R

998 R

998 R

998 R

Best design, and best engine (testastretta) higly tuned.

The very last of the era...........This bike will be in demand forever.

Enough said ? :)

21. mpaub1386

mpaub1386 Karting

Jul 7, 2007
    Cleveland, TN
    Full Name:
    Matthew Bottoms

I think so my friend. For that matter give me anything 998 on with an R symbol beside it and I will be happy.

22. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    some transfers over, some doesnt.

Harley = Back brake
    Sportbike = Front brake

Harley = fear the lean
    Sportbike = embrace the lean, get off the bike to lean more (riding position NOT the same when the going gets sporty)

23. Max Power

Max Power Rookie

Oct 6, 2006
    Media, PA
    #73 Max Power, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl