Pick one: Ducati 998 or 999 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pick one: Ducati 998 or 999

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by UroTrash, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    PSK

You know I love you man, but you are picking the ugly 749? LOL. I am sorry, but that bike is ugly! Yes I have seen them in person ;)

CHAA
    You are right about the Augusta, sadly it is very $$, but its downrigt HOT!

2. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    749s are fun....

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    COR! Whats 749s number..........get it?!!

4. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
  5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

#30 sjb509, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The '01 996R was the first bike to use the Testaretta engine (only 500 produced).

The '02 998 & 998S used the Testaretta engine, while the '02 998R also used the new engine, although with larger bore/shorter stroke and 999cc capacity.

The '03-'04 999 & 999S uses an updated standard Testaretta engine from the 998, while the 999R uses the oversquare engine configuration.

The 749 bikes are also testaretta engines, while all of the 748, 916, 996 variations (except 996R above) used the original desmoquattro-type engine first raced in 1986.

All of the other bikes in Ducati's lineup that use four valve heads use the old desmoquattro head design.

If you've never ridden any motorcycle before a small dirt bike is a good idea, you will drop it at some point and dirt hurts much less than pavement, believe me. If you insist on a streetbike first and want Ducati, they make a 620cc monster that would be very unintimidating to start riding. They have very little bodywork to destroy in a crash. They are also inexpensive to buy and insure compared to the superbikes.

I'd personally go for the 998 over the 999, the 999 is overstyled while the 998 will always have the classic shape. If you're looking outside of Ducati, check out MV Agusta like someone mentioned. In many ways it is the spiritual descendant of the 916 moreso than the 999, IMO.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

And, Ferrari designed the radial valve head.

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Steve,

In the USA, where can on buy that bike used? I can't afford the new ones, but used ones are looking good! Also how high maintance are they compared to Ducs? Also how about weight/speed/riding style?

8. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I don't own one, they are pretty rare still even after 5 years. MV went through money problems that limited production. I think it is something like 400 bikes/year in the US, but I'm not sure. Go to mvagusta.com, they have a dealer locator. They come up on ebay or cycletrader.com quite often, but do not seem to be depreciating very fast. A 2000 model is still $12k or so. Later ones (2002-on) have a stronger motor and better cooling.

There may be more coming up for sale in the next year as the 1000cc version comes out. I hope so, I'd love a Red/Silver 1+1, it just needs to depreciate down to about $10k. I don't think maintenance is any worse than a Ducati with 4V heads.

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thank you steve. 10K is my about my budget. Not willing to pay 12K, then I would just get a 998. Cycle trader has 0 bikes listed for the west coast, that shocked me!

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    There are about a dozen F4Ss on Cycletrader right now along with a few Brutale ads.
    http://www.cycletrader.com/index.html

Dealers are few in the USA and that maybe a huge factor in choice of MV vs Ducati.

The riding experience could not be more different. The MV has no torque down low like the Ducatis but wails on the top end. The steering is VERY fast on the MV despite what should be a reasonable steering head angle. The Ducatis take a lot of coaxing in the twisties and the MV almost falls in the turns. The riding position is similar and very dedicated. The Ducati has that beautiful rumble ( and the clattering of the dry clutch )which is very intoxicating. The MV has an indescribable shriek on the top end that is so wonderful it is absolutely, totally impossible not to grin ear to ear when winding it out. I would definately take the Ducati based on practical reasons i.e. better developed, more dependable, more dealers etc. for a daily ride...

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah I am not a Brutale fan. Seems like all the MV's are listed in Atlanta...LOL. Yeah the prices are very high. I don't mind the lack of torque as I currently ride two gsxr 750s, and they are pretty high revers. I have never had a twin, thus wanting the Duc as of late, and will probably purchase one in the next month.

Yeah the Duc's sound is so awesome. I could really care less that some people say they are slow, high maintenance, out dated. To me its like owning a Ferrari. Sure maybe the 600 HP Supra is faster, at the end of the day Ferrari ownership is something else.

12. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Did you know that the exhaust system on the MV F4 was designed by Tamburini after takeing apart an F40 Exhaust system that belonged to the boss of MV Castiglioni, and that at the F4 launch Castiglioni thanked his frend Pierre Ferrari for his involvement. I have had mine from brand new when my boss gave it to me as a bonus three years ago, it only done three thousand miles becourse i love it so much and darnt drop it becourse you never know if you are going to get the parts to fix it. It took me 9 months to get a spare clutch leaver then i snaped it of. The power is only there if you wind that baby up to 13,000 rpm and higher, top speed is beyond my Duke 996 becourse of its smoth 4 pots. I have indeed last year orderd the F41000cc version that may or may not be here this year, but i will keep the 750 version becourse its 100% Italian were as the new ones are financed by i think the Malaysians.As i said earlyer the style of the F4 shadows the 996, and when they are together you can see this clearly. Secondhand prices are comming down as well to around £7000-£10000. When you see an MV F4 up close you dismiss the the all so common Dukes instantly. I always love to ride the F4 becourse its rare, but when i ride the Duke as much as i love it, i always see atleast another 10, why becourse its everywere, and people call this the Ferrari af the bike world?? give us a break,Why not be individual and original F4 the only real ferrari bike, and realy is an exclusively beautiful work of art.

13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Chaa you absolutely have it going on!!

Lovely collection of mechanical art. What front fender is on the MV?

I'm curious, what does insurance cost on those bikes in the UK if that's not an impolite question? I've heard its rather pricey, here in the USA I insured a 916 and a MV F4S for a few hundred dollars each per year.

14. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea dude ill tell ya no probs. To insure my MV,996 and SUSI BUSA around £300.The front fender is the original one painted silver along with the tail pipes, i did have a gold rear hugger on it but it sat to close to the rear tyre and got chipped.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Magazines. It is not all about which is faster, but the mags seem to enjoy the 749 better. Might take you up on the drop by one day ... and no I do not ride yet, thus my opinion is just from magazines.

Pete

16. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Pete
    My question wasn't designed to belittle your opinion, I already worked out you hadn't ridden the bikes. Just wanted to know if you were a track day junky to see if you were going to be around.
    As to the mag opinions, a 999 and 749S are identiacl in EVERY way aside from different final drive ratio and capacity. The only difference with the 749 is it has less power. Any other differences are individual setup related.

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

:D LMAO :D

Pete you crack me up!

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Because individuality costs money, and some of us don't have it ;)

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well I used to be a track day junky with cars, and I do intend to go through the same process with bikes, ie. raise my skill level in a relatively safe environment like the track.

I firmly believe that my ability behind the wheel of a car or on a bike may save my life one day ... it has many times in a car.

Now that I am married with children, etc. I am really looking forward to having to learn something new.

Thus I am pretty sure we will bump into each other one day ... maybe you can show me the correct line around Eastern Creek ... if you can go slow enough for me to keep up :D

Pete

20. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    HELLO!! FERRARIIII CHAT site. Folk will consider spending cash on a brand new 998/999 which is 2 grand cheeper than a F4, OR a used F4 with a couple of thou miles on it would cost 3 grand less than a new 998/999. You do the maths.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I agree its F chat. But some of us bike enthusiasts on F chat have no $ ;) Also I searched all of US and there were one 2003 F4 for sale, and they wanted way over my budget :(

I am sticking with 748 for now

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Dude if you lived near me, id let ya borrow mine! I mean it!

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I have some family in Manchester that I may visit next year. Don't know how far you are, but I would love to see one in person. :)

24. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    That is no probs dude,56 miles away,and by then i may have my F41000 by then. And if you show me you can ride well you can also borrow this.....

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Well I do ride well. But I would be afraid to borrow any thing from you knowing what you do for a living and seeing you pose by your cars! You are a scary big dood, and I am only 5'6" 140#s :D