Piaggio Avanti II to replace my Mustang... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Piaggio Avanti II to replace my Mustang...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by dmark1, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    How long ago was this? KSMO banned them last I heard (that's a PISTA in the pic so in the last 2 years?)

dmark1 likes this.
  2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

That picture was shot yesterday. I flew from SMF not SMO. As of now only Santa Monica has a ban on the airplane because of its strange noise. I wasn’t within 400 miles of that placed lol. There are no other airports discussing it. It’s silly anyways as the noise dB is less than a King Air, it’s just weird sounding to people on the ground. This is due to the props being behind the exhaust.

TBO is 3600 hours

ChipG and Boomhauer like this.
  3. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    #28 mikesufka, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Awesome group of automobiles !!!

PS: Plane looks good too … :)

MDS

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    congrats! I think the best looking business class plane and maybe the smartest too with cabin and efficiency.

dmark1, Boomhauer and SAFE4NOW like this.
  5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Very nice hanger shot!

I was invited to catch a ride back from a F1 race in Montreal several years ago, I think we were back in Dallas in less time than it would have taken to get to my seat on the commercial flight back.

Comfortable , quite inside, roomy, and it felt like arriving to an event in a Ferrari, as everyone would turn and look at both FBO's!

LMK if you are ever practicing touch and go's locally, It'd be nice to tag along!

Steve

rob lay likes this.
  6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Fantastic cabin
    Fantastic interior for not only a turboprop but for most jets until one gets into at least the super mid size.

7. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Gorgeous plane! Awesome hangar! Great cars!

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The acquisition cost varies for most but you can find pristine models in excellent condition for under 2 million for a II and under 1.4 million for a 1. There really isn't a lot of difference between the two except age and slightly more powerful engines. The biggest difference between then is the II has the ProLine 21 and a reorganized panel which is really nice. The I is making inroads on this though as the new TXi Garmin stuff is available and you can virtually turn the older 1's into a full glass panel with 2 TXi Garmins and 2 GTN 750s. I included a picture below of a buddy who has done this to his 1 model. He has less than 1 million in the entire airplane with a full glass panel!

You still have to use the old ADC instruments for RVSM though and keep the original engine instruments. The II has the engine and prop instrumentation integrated in the PL21. As to operations, the Piaggio is definitely less expensive than the Mustang with the ONE unknown *and its a big one* being the yearly maintenance costs. The actual inspection costs are actually lower than the Mustang but parts can be sky high for certain things that are only available from Piaggio. Fuel flow is at or lower than the Mustang and the airplane is 30-40 knots faster. Insurance for me at 1.5MM hull and 4 million smooth was 14K yearly so that was less too. The engines hot sections cost are around 35K and a overhaul is 350K each (I am fully paid up on ESP Gold which I will utilize to overhaul the engines next year then drop). The carbon brakes can be very expensive too to overhaul but there is an option from Parker to go to steel for 65K which eliminates this. I am on the list for that. (Carbon brake overhauls are 40K EACH - OUCH!)

We shall see how reliable she is. From all of the operators I talked to that ACTUALLY HAVE EXPERIENCE with flying the airplane and aren't "keyboard pilots" they are robust and very reliable. AvantAIR flew them an average of 1300 hours per year so they cant be that fragile! WE shall see!

As to the airplanes handling ,,,one word - AMAZING. Think Ferrari like. Very smooth balanced controls, excellent roll rate and super stable on approach. The airplanes only quirk is its "auto flare" I call it. You do not flare the airplane, you bring it as low as you can to the runway and reduce the power and the airplanes nose automatically flares allowing for flawless touchdowns. (well, mostly flawless anyway lol). It is as honest of airplane to fly as the Mustang was. Vr (there is no V1 in a Part 23 Turboprop) cuts are very manageable and kind of a non event. The airplane climbs around 5 -600FPM on one engine, I am sure better when you aren't at gross weight. Overall found its SE manners to be impeccable. One other nice feature is the airplanes stall characteristics. The forward wing (don't call it a canard!) is set up to stall first before the main wing so the nose dips and therefore prevents a main wing stall. My mentor demonstrated to me the benign stall.... held the stick in his lap and the airplane bobbed up and down with no break at all at 100 knots as long as he held it there! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    They definitely have a unique sound when they fly over.

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Is the toilet overboard service or a honey bucket?

Is there a price difference for the later II with the Nordam interior?

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

No external service for the toilet unfortunately. No there is no difference.

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    No. You're thinking of the NetJets terminal I think. They park it along the south-central side of the airport adjacent to Southern Blvd, pretty much where the Trump plane has always parked. It's a couple hundred yards west of the eastern corner of the airport. They have outdated school busses along the fence line. It's really neat to get out and see it when he's in town. Early on in his presidency he had the VPOTUS and Secretary df State in town for meetings, they had their planes parked on the north end of the airport just east of the terminal, next to that training fuselage they keep for firefighter training. I think Shinzo Abe was in town too on that trip.

Melania comes into town on a smaller plane sometimes.

They built a military helipad at Mar a Lago but they bring in the limo still instead. It's pretty easy to shuttle him the few miles to home instead of a chopper I guess.