photography forum | FerrariChat

photography forum

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Webby, Aug 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

photography forum?

1. yes

2. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    This was brought up earlier in an off topic thread, I don't remember which one, but a lot of people seemed to like the idea. I was wondering if Rob could create a Photography forum which would serve 2 purposes: to help photographers get tips and help, and to let photographers show off their non-Ferrari pictures. Yes? No? Rob? I wasn't sure if we should let non-subscribed people vote or not.

2. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    As a free lance photographer myself, i'd love a section like this! I vote yes!

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was thinking about asking this but figgured there wouldn't be enough interest. I vote yes

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  5. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
  6. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Also, I would gladly be a moderator for that forum, I get on here about 10 times a day.

7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would like this. I need help.

8. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    Good idea! Would be interested! (Could mod as well if needed)

9. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    I think it would be a great place for everyone on the forum. +1 vote for yes.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I vote no. Well, only to paid subscribers if it does happen.

Here is the big issue I see here. I have had this convo with many other Fchatters. Many people join to leech off other members and I try to keep a very low profile. I am more likely to rent a car than to ask the favor of an Fchatter. Many Fchatters have had issue with people joining for this sole purpose.

There are dozens of forums with just photography in mind that would be better suited and not dillute the focus of this site. Today photography, tomorrow knitting.

I would however be more than willing to let you sit in on my shoots, ask me questions and see my home made gear videos for advancement of your hobby.

11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually, i agree with Tim. I vote no. If you want a good photography place join dpchallenge.com

12. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen

Tim does have a pretty good point. Maybe we could just create a thread in the subscribed section for photographers to hang out and share their work.

13. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Yea, I have to admit he has a good point.

14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I'm very much into photography too, but I'm not sure a separate forum is really needed. If it's about general photography, then the photo sites are probably better as has been pointed out. If it's about car/racing photography, then we already have the Showroom. I actually like the mix of photography, drawing and other art that's already in there.

15. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    With good internet alternatives available for general photographic help, a forum here would need to be kept focused on Ferrari specific issues like.... Upcoming F-car photo opportunities, color matching for Rosso Corso, and how to fake credentials for F1 races. And, of course, for sharing F-car photos for praise and critique.

I'm afraid a photography forum here would degrade quickly into what camera brand is best, what's the best all purpose lens, etc. etc. And while we all have our favorites, there are probably relatively few persons here that have broad exposure to equipment and a passion for technique. In a way, it would be like having an automotive forum on a Nikon board.

My vote is no, it would dilute the board. Ferrari specific questions can be brought up in an appropriate sub forum already.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Among other sites, I truly enjoy DeviantArt as a place for critiques.

My site is: http://testshootcom.deviantart.com/ if you are a member (it is free) you can see a lot of nudes I have posted. If that is your thing ;)

17. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    And so I have!!!

:p

18. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Been having fun for over a year playing weekly columnist talking about my 20 years and 188,000 miles with a 246 GT Dino. Started in the Technical Forum per Rob's suggestion. Moved to the Dino Forum when it was created since most columns referenced my Dino or me in some way. Have posted over 500 pictures since starting and have learned a lot about photography in that time.

Had a pretty good starting point from my profession. I am an electronic engineer who started a company doing thin film instrumentation in the 1960s. Rode the Semiconductor boom, retired in 1981 and have been kibitzing ever since. Work involved photolithogrophy, video, microscophy, etc. Traveled and took lots of amateur pics. Consulted in area of photomicroscophy. Excellent technical background in optics and photography.

Pictures that look good on the Internet are a whole other ball game. Most FerrariChat photos are pitiful. I have been chiding various folks with suggestions and samples of how to get good looking stuff on Fchat. Couple of weeks ago got a "Dino Saga" tangled in a location tizzie because I used 1950s negatives to illustrate an easy way to get old B&W shots to look as good as possible at 800 x 600. Yesterday's post is about photography again. This time about converting prints and slides.

I have written 4 or 5 columns on photo techniques and expect to do more. Would love to have a forum to showcase them. Would love to have others show me new tricks. There is no reason to have such a forum degenerate into a pop photo free for all. The camera does not matter so much when the end result has such severe size constraints. Anything over 3MP can do wonders with the right amount of TLC.

Talk about lighting for ever. Close ups, action, color, editing. There are many more topics than the latest camera, lens, pixel count. Concenrate on technique, not Bikinis or the latest 1-off exotic introduction that is in all the auto magazines a week later. Shot by pros who do not have a Ferrari to drive. Most of us are amateurs. Who like the best and would like to do the best.

Comments?

John

19. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I would like to see this section as well.

20. sgcullen

sgcullen Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Cullen
    I would love to have a forum where I can share my photos and knowledge and also where I can get advice on techniques. I have PM'd a number of people here for advice and never get a response. If there was a forum where I could post publicly (without posting in places where people don't care to see my post), that would be terrific. And, to answer the knitting question...if there were enough f-chatters interested in knitting images of Ferrari's and exotic cars then I'd say hell yes let's have a forum! Otherwise what exactly is the purpose of this place?

Steve

21. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    So if there is going to be a thread on photography, let's keep it to automotive with only the occasional post on how to shoot other things like people, products. Let's keep it auto-centric.

Photography forum
    -lighting thread
    -camera thread
    -other
    -shi!tbag leeches only out to borrow cars for shoots

lighting being how to light cars or work with natural lighting
    camera being cameras and lenses and getting the most out of what you've got
    other being all the other crap
    the last thread explains itself

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well, I plan on shooting again Sept 30 and Oct 1, IF anyone is in the LA area and would like to see me work. It will be in doors mainly. Day one, some teens for fashion editorials, a bridal couture designer. Day two is probably a little of the same, maybe some lingerie.

23. sgcullen

sgcullen Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Cullen
    I would suggest two other areas in the forum (in addition to the ones above). The first I would call something like scenery/settings. There is a big difference in shooting indoors with stationary vehicles and controlled lighting versus outdoors with moving vehicles. You could make a point that this is covered under lighting...but I think this includes a lot of other technique issues that combine lighting, lenses, camera settings, setting up for the shot, etc. The second area would be processing & effects. This would be an area to discuss techniques in Photoshop, filters that are available, how to process out the bad stuff, etc.

Steve

24. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    ONE Vote for the Forum !
    I think a lot of F Chatters would enjoy a photo Forum dedicated to auto photography,and cover specifics like posting to F Chat (for instance where are the rules re posting photos ? How can you easily post multiple photos like those of Chrystal Cove each week.
    Notice How much clearer some of the posted photos are then others. I think it would be useful of some of the photographers give us an insight as to what they use to sharpen photos for posting ?.

25. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I am in the process of rebuilding my site and will have some educational info to add shortly. I am also going to start podcasting my shoots in segments that you all might find useful. Even if I don't shoot cars ;)

1) creative meeting for theme and client
    2) casting
    3) gear selection
    4) styling
    5) arriving on location/set up
    6) interaction with models, model interview/introduction
    7) directing hair and make up crew
    8) the shoot (you'll see what I use, and how I work)
    9) the wrap up (the post-shoot debriefing)
    10) the results