Philly accident | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Philly accident

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by clickclickboom, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    As others have said, this is exactly why I never join in with any of these types of group runs - not on my motorcycle, nor in the Ferraris.

Here's a story of my closest brush with an incident of this nature:

I remember back when I had my 360 (maybe 13 or 14 years ago) I attended a car meet on Santana Row with some northern CA Ferrarichat members; met a lot of great guys including a younger kid driving some sort of very nice Porsche GT. I remember he was younger and very proud of having obtained his dream car. While checking out all the cars, we got to talking and he mentioned he really liked my 360 - just a super nice guy.

When the meet broke up, everyone was going on a drive up around some hilly, high up canyon road and the kid with the Porsche invited me to join in. He said if I didn't want to take my Ferrari, I was welcome to ride shotgun in his Porsche and he'd be happy to drop me off back at the meet once they were all done. I thanked him and told him that I'm really more of a loner and didn't go in much for group drives because they are too dangerous, etc. He tried to convince me to join everyone, but I opted out and told him to be careful and have fun, but I needed to get back to my office and work on our website (I owned DayTraders.com back at that time). Anyway, I jumped in the 360 and headed home and they all took off for the group drive up in the hills.

An hour or so later, I arrived back home and logged into Ferrarichat only to learn he had driven off a cliff in his Porsche and died.

It's very sad when stuff like this happens, but despite the high dollar cost of the Philly accident, at least nobody died.

Ray

2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Dicecal likes this.
  3. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    Very, very true. Can’t bring someone back from the dead.

I met a guy on 9 a year (or two) ago, he had gotten his dream car recently and was pretty excited about it. The guy ended up flying off the mountain later that night injuring himself and killing his passenger. Can’t imagine the guilt he has

to the 488 driver, be thankful that u/those involved r alive and well, $$ comes and goes, u can always make more. Death rarely gives people a second chance.

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    A pretty famous forum dweller in the past VR Alexander (Alexander Djordjevic) drove his 996 TT off a mountain in a 2010 hill climb.....friendly guy.

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No express in that road, it's the surekill crawlway in my experience.

Viperjoe and wthensler like this.
  6. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    It a shame that this had to happen during a charity event
    This gives the community a bad name

7. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Totally inexcusable behavior by the driver. I'm sure he's kicking himself in the hiney over this and on the same token thanking his lucky stars nobody was injured or worse yet killed.

8. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    BJK likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's wild.

Ray

10. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
  11. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
  12. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    That is nasty. Think of every gross thing in the street in Philly - it all washed into the vine St expressway swimming basin…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    I remember on my 360 days I attended a rally and some minor accident happened as usually a guy with a new f-car tries to show off slides and gets somebody into a bad day that day he slid onto a nice countach it was a Lambo club event and gave the other 360 drivers a bad rap.

14. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Does anyone know the outcome with the insurance companies and what happened with the cars? I really hope the cars were returned to true form.

Lesson learned, don't turn off traction control on city streets. Not worth it...

15. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The Pista was a total loss.

16. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I think the lesson is:

Turn off traction control on city streets if you’re a responsible and experienced driver, who will not street race at 120+ mph through a downtown metropolitan area.