Peter Sweeney sure has a nice one for sale | FerrariChat

Peter Sweeney sure has a nice one for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Nov 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I believe it is a North Carolina car, at least it was there in 1985.

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It is pretty nice. It looks like he posted in on FerrariAds too.....

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Dave, I'm surprised you even announce this! What ever happened to the 'His & Hers' notion? And it's your favorite color combo.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jeesh Bruce not so loud.
    I'm hoping she'll forget about that idea so I can go get the other car I have my eye on.

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Am so sorry, didn't think it mattered since it was mentioned earlier. We'll all be looking forward to you keeping us in the loop on future acquisitions.

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    What a sweetheart!

-Peter

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <laughing> Don't be sorry, it doesn't matter, that was my attempt at humor :)

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Man that dark blue series II is sure priced right. If they can stomach the automatic, someone is going to get what looks like a sweetheart of a car.

Looks like Peter also has a brighter blue (not sure of color name) series I 400i 5-speed as well for $27k.

http://www.forzamotorsports.com/wpe43.jpg

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh this is bad...very bad.
    Peter has 2 cars on his site that caught the tall blonde woman that runs my house's eye.

11. ed.trottier

ed.trottier Rookie

Apr 18, 2007
    Dave/Bruce--Looks like 2 for sale; an 81 Series I GT and an 83 400iA. Interestingly, BOTH at $27.5k. They are # 9 and # 10 on the list. Gotta say the 83 400iA is a cream puff. I think that's the one they will replace tires on for purchase price (at $400 ea!). Would be ideal for anyone who doesn't want the in-traffic bother of a stick.

I had a question about required fuel octane for Series II engines. At 8.8:1 compression ratio, is 98/100 O.N. really necessary? From what I can read, that would be current 92 or 93 (R+M)/2 pump octane. Is it emissions (these were not US cars), or performance, or gas mileage (well, as I am told, "Don't worry about gas mileage on the 400i, there ain't any!") ?? EHT

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

Gas mileage on a 400i?
    BAWAHAHAHA
    oh stop it man you're KILIING me.
    You guys hear what he said? Gas mileage on a 400i...., oh man thats just too funny
    :)

I always run the highest octane I can get. Lets face it you aren't trying to set any records on economy or dollars spent per mile on these cars.

13. ed.trottier

ed.trottier Rookie

Apr 18, 2007
    Yes, I understand there is no mileage on a 400i. We get around 16 on hiway. What I asked is if there is any technical BASIS for the 98/100 O.N.?

Thanks in advance.

EHT

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ed,

As far as I know, you really don't need 98-100 octane. In fact, it should make less power than a lower octane fuel. The main function of increased octane is to push off the onset of knock in high compression engines. Unless there is something special about the combustion chamber geometry that would cause it to run hotter than most, or if you drive VERY agressively, I would think regular would be fine.

I regularly run 50%/50% avgas/super in my old car (can't do this with cat equipped cars) for the lead content and reduced additives, not the octane.

Regards,

Art S.

15. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Art,

You'd better check the lead content on Avgas. Even though it is called 100 LL (for LOW lead), I believe it contains MUCH more lead than the leaded auto fuel of old days. When I took the Subaru engine off my plane and into an overhaul shop, I got stares from the guys working there. What the f*** is THAT??? Grey coating all over the inside of the engine. And that after only half a dozen of hours of 100LL!

As for required octane: I've wondered the same on my engine (early 308GT4, also 8.8:1 compression). 98 octane pump gas is reaching $9 per gallon here, I'm doing 12 to 14 mpg and nearly 10,000 miles per year, so any economy would be welcome! (yes, that's a yearly $7000 fuel bill!!). I'm now running on a 50/50 mix of 95 and 98 octane (I guess that'd be 89 and 92 in US terms?), with no apparent issues. Can't say I notice any power degradation either...

Hans

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Hans,

There is something wrong with my motor so we'll be opening it up in the next few weeks. I'll let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Art S.

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Uh oh :eek:

Whats wrong Art?

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Dave,

The car hasn't been too happy since it came home after its slumber, then it started fouling plugs and finally it made some slight sounds from the valve train that are making me nervous. Rather than waiting for something to let go, I'm hoping that Francois will cure what ails it without draining my fun fund. Unfortunately, its a 117 mile flatbed ride (I'm not fond of AAA but they make it MUCH cheaper than a private tow).

Regards,

Art S.

19. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Plugs fouling is a common problem on aircraft engines that are running on avgas. Too much lead. If the engine gets less than full power use, lead pearls build up on the spark plugs.

Are you running full-synth oil? The combination of full-synthetic and leaded fuel is another nono. Somehow, loads of lead deposit get built up inside the engine. And even without full-synth, lead builds up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problems that you are having are lead-related. Do yourself a favor and stop with this avgas!! It is bad stuff, designed to ruin your engine! If you MUST have lead, use lower concentrations. I've read that 100LL aviation gas has about 4x the lead that used to be in leaded regular car gas.

Hans

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Hans,

Thanks for the advice. I generally run a diluted avgas mix, but I've stopped completely for the moment. I had used it for years prior to this without any issues. Hopefully the problem isn't anything serious.

Regards,

Art S.

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Art,

In my 330, I always used Mobil premium, unleaded plus, or occasionally regular, with an ounce of Red Line lead substitute and four ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil per 10 gallons. Never had one problem with fouling.

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Thanks Scott,

We'll see. The smoke after coasting, the fouling and now the strange noise make me want to open it up with a very experienced set of eyes looking in. I'm hoping its just a couple of bad seals and too much lead but it may be worse.

Regards,

Art S

23. ed.trottier

ed.trottier Rookie

Apr 18, 2007
    All--Enjoyed (and learned from!) all the related postings. I HAD been running 89 (R+M)/2 octane Shell or Amoco/BP, but when I researched the conversion from 98/100 O.N., turns out that 92 (R+M)/2 is about the minimum acceptable to Ferrari Owner's Manual here in US. SO, I have gone to 93 (R+M)/2, again, Shell or Amoco/BP. For some reason, I am not able to learn just WHY Ferrari specifies "premium" fuel, but my first guess is to achieve maximum horsepower. I am also told that premium not only has higher octane, but a better blend. Perhaps less "boost" by alcohol ??? There must be a ChemEng out there who specializes in these matters, but I could not turn up one using Google. Car is an '84, but only about 35k miles from new. Starts and runs perfectly. Mixture might be a "touch" rich, but engine NEVER stalls or stumbles. Driven as a GT, no "stop light gran prix." It's a comfortable tourer and that's what we use it for (10 months ownership). Cruise between 3k and 4k. Occasional run-ups to maybe 4500 or 5k in 4th or 5th. But at around 4500, you cross into the "Go Directly to Jail; do NOT Pass GO" region, so I try never to be "out front" and exposed above 100 mph. NOW, if I could only improve STOPPING distance of this 4165 lb beast !!! OH, one more thought: Ours came with the plug-in telephone panel in trunk and funny antenna on rear window. I see same in one of the two 400is in "Ferrari-The Road from Maranello" book. Was this a factory option? Thanks in advance for kind and informative replies. EHT

24. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I've often wondered the same (why the high octane requirement) on my GT4. After all, it only has 8.8:1 compression ratio, so why would this high octane fuel be required?

My current guess is that it has to do with timing curves. Higher octane is more knock-proof. As such, it can withstand higher compression ratios (which we don't have), and/or more ignition advance. I think this is the reason: being able to dial in some more ignition advance, in order to get slightly better performance...

Hans