Peter Lik Art | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Peter Lik Art

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by cove26, Feb 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    agree with this 100%. Basically my point. Have to disagree about ebay. All serious collectors of all things watch ebay like a hawk. Nothing is slipping through there. My guess is christies and sothebys wouldn't touch these. I'll check the auction records to be sure. Enjoy the pieces. My recommendation is that if you want to buy any more you consider ebay if they have one you like. I think you could save thousands. and if you ever do want to sell it, at least you know there is one other person out there that was willing to pay close to what you did at one time. The gallery's get their prices through good marketing of the artist. i have been in and out of the biz and seriously collecting (surrealism) for decades. There are probably 100's of photags that can and do take similar pics. This guy is good, but most of the price comes from a good gallery picking him up and pushing it. I have seen it a hundred times. the prices on the secondary market pretty much are flat, specially after the galleries stop pushing him or a lot of people start to sell. In 5 or ten years this guy won't even be a footnote, along with the 100,000 other artists that have been pushed by galleries all over the world for centuries. For the kind of money you are talking, you could get an entry level ansel adams http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5056493&sid=d3a3b759-01a0-4c83-af8a-46d4860f1961. That would be a decent investment. Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to give some good advice and bring you down a little from the high the gallery has you on. We can agree this guy won't be appreciated by history on a level like ansel adams?

Like i said, enjoy your artwork for the joy it brings you, it is rarely a good investment even if you know what you are doing. But take my advice that the absolutely most expensive place you can buy any artwork is always the retail gallery.

2. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Funny thing is, the quality is apparent when looking at the photos on line, but there is no comparison to what they look like in person. The qualities they exhibit in person almost lead you to believe they have been back lit - but they aren't. They are phenomenal. He is the master marketer though. No need to have a 'good gallery' pick him. He sells through his own galleries. And his galleries are set up to impress even before you walk through the door. The man is a better marketer than he is a photographer.

3. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    sounds like Dali.

4. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The gallery does not have me on a high, I enjoy the pieces. As far as a gallery picking him up, he sells through his own galleries and has several of them. I believe that when he is long gone, his works will be appreciated. Even Ansel Adams' pieces are nothing spectacular in my opinion. Have you been to a Peter Lik gallery and seen his pieces? If not I suggest you go look for yourself, they are amazing. Everyone has different likes, I like Peter Lik's work.

Mike

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    mike, i hope you don't think i am knocking your taste in artwork. I am not. In fact i have seen only a little of the work you are talking about when i searched ebay. My posts do not really have anything to do with the quality of his work or their desirability. I don't collect anybody's photos but mine :). I am speaking purely of the "investment" side of your post. I was just trying to give everybody a little advice on "investing" in artwork and a couple tips on how to acquire it. Like you said, different strokes. We will just have to wait i guess to find out about how much the art world will appreciate him when he is long gone. I think history is on my side though. Continue to enjoy them.

6. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey folks, I just received the 25th anniversary edition Big Book by Peter Lik. This thing is amazing. Another cool thing is that it comes with an original transparency that was shot by Peter Lik with his Linhof. This book is absolutely amazing! I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Mike

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I like the work and my former law partner did transactional work for the Lik company, and they were outstanding people to deal with.

8. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
  9. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    the thomas kincaid of photography...

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I just came across this thread.. I'm a big Peter Lik fan.

I've been in his galleries in Aspen, Vegas (Forum Shops), and La Jolla.

His "art" is exactly my style.... Most other overpriced "art" out there, photography or painting, I think just looks silly and/or cheap.

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Ouch! Now that's a slam.

I've never seen his work in person. This thread has me curious to stop by his gallery in Miami and check it out. I think the hardest part about being an artist is marketing/selling your work. In that regard I would say he certainly is a genius. Art is so subjective, to each his own. I would rather buy something I love than something strictly as an investment.

12. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    #62 jefffromcanada, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    A few weeks ago while in Vegas. My wife and I with another couple rented a car and drove out to Red Rock Canyon. At the first stop of the "loop" drive, we obviously stopped to take in the gorgeous scenery.

We saw Mr. Lik filming his new reality show. He was with 2 other guys (film and sound)?? We spent probably an hour in the area hiking on the rocks and trying to eavesdrop:) It wasn't busy and it was late in the afternoon, probably why he chose to film. It was cool and at 1 point we overheard him say to 1 of the other guys in his thick Aussie accent, "as soon as that couple moves of that rock, I'd like to get a shot" :) We were not that close to him but his voice carried enough......he probably didn't realize we heard him. Needless to say, we moved.

Here is a link to his new show and IIRC he was wearing the exact same outfit.

http://blog.peterlik.com/bid/52337/Name-Peter-Lik-s-New-Reality-Show

13. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My dad visited Vegas not too long ago and went to his gallery. As soon as he walked out he called me up and said I have to check out his stuff online. Hopefully if I make it to Vegas one day I'll get to see the real stuff.

14. 2getit

2getit Rookie

Mar 29, 2010
    As an owner of a 3 meter "Beyond Paradise" we purchased this piece for our office before it sold out..my favorite Lik of all...and i own many....we paid $14,700 or so and now the gallery price is over 100k.....so although anythings price is essentially what people will pay for it...i consider that a sound investment...but much more appreciate the beauty it brings to my office every day i get to look at it....

15. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    There's a gallery in Key West as well.

16. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    #66 rkuo, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    Are there places to see these in the Bay Area? I was telling a friend about how they look but it's not really possible to describe ... really has to be seen.

17. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you go to his website, there is a listing of galleries.

I also own a Beyond Paradise. I bought it when it first came out. I also own about 5 other pieces and the Big Book. The problem is insuring them I find. Due to the fact that not many have sold at auction and the secondary market is hard to get prices, most appraisers can't place an accurate value on the pictures. So I wouldn't buy into what the gallery tells you they are "worth" but buy what you like and what makes you happy looking at it on a regular basis!

Mike

18. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Going through looking at some of the prices I'm just amazed that he's getting as much as he is for his work.

Found a new favorite, "Imagine".

http://www.peterlik.com/imagine

19. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    Peter is a great photog but his true calling is marketing... Making 1000 prints of the same photo and calling them a limited edition. That's chutzpa right there.

Guess there's a sucker (or 950) born every minute.

He's asking million dollars for a photograph? Please.

Emu eggs anyone?

http://www.artbrokerage.com/_main/search_advanced.php?p=x&q=peter%20lik&q2=1&q_d=

(If you're below about 40 years old, in the late 80s to early 90s Emu eggs were selling for like $10,000 a piece and mated pairs were like $50,000... People were paying it because they could breed them and sell the eggs for 10 grand... to another dreamer. -- Then one day someone realized they were just big ugly chickens and the bottom fell out. You can also google Tulip Mania for a similar story.)

20. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike

He definitely is a great marketer, but you also have to admit he is a great photographer! As far as 950 suckers, I beg to differ. I would be willing to bet that people purchase his work because of how it looks, not necessarily as an investment. The Million dollar piece did sell, below a million from what I understand but pretty close to it. As far as I know, there are not many people doing the same work he is doing so he has found a niche. But to each is own and I am happy with my purchases and being a "sucker."

21. Ozrock

Ozrock Rookie

Sep 21, 2011

The items on eBay are mostly ilk prints/posters not the photographic images sold in his galleries. You bothered to check out eBay but not the details. Also it pays to look at the sizes of the images for sale on the secondary market a lot of the actual limited edition images for sale are quite small these are no longer available from the ilk galleries in these small sizes. Certainly it pays to look at eBay for his images but don't buy a poster! You won't fall in love like we lik edition and artist proof collectors have. Get in contact with the gallery in Noosa Qld australia it is the oldest of his galleries if you want laid-back service. We only buy our pieces from there and as they are sent from Las Vegas anyway. Those girls will spend hours helping you and organizing your choices.