Pertussis Outbreak Stirs Vaccine Debate | FerrariChat

Pertussis Outbreak Stirs Vaccine Debate

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Piper, Sep 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pertussis Outbreak Stirs Vaccine Debate

Pertussis Outbreak Stirs Vaccine Debate - keyetv.com Austin News, Weather, Traffic KEYE-TV Austin - Top Stories

The Texas Department of State Health Services says the threat is real. The spread of Pertussis could reach levels not seen since the 1950s. And it can be nasty. We're talking as long as ten weeks of your child coughing and gasping for air. So far this year Texas has recorded more than 1,900 and there are still four months left in the year. Dr. Laura Chambers a family practice physician with CommUnityCare Texas says, Usually it's transmitted through aerosolized particles. So if someone coughs or sneezes around you then you would breathe that in." It's that easy. So health authorities are recommending the entire family get vaccinated-- especially if there's an infant in the house. But the National Vaccine Information Center says, "Not so fast." Pertussis vaccination for school children is already at 97 percent. And yet Dawn Richardson, director of advocacy with the National Vaccine Information Center says, "We're still seeing cases of Pertussis. Why is that? Part of the answer is that the vaccine is not as effective as it used to be. And people need to know that." In other words some of those cases of Pertussis are in people who have been vaccinated. Doctors agree the vaccine is not a 100% guarantee you won't get whooping cough. So even if you get the shot, you should keep your sneeze guard up to protect yourself and your family.

Read More at: Pertussis Outbreak Stirs Vaccine Debate - keyetv.com Austin News, Weather, Traffic KEYE-TV Austin - Top Stories

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    never heard of this stuff, but my policy is to go the other way if some slob sneezes/coughs in my direction.

3. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The pertussis vaccine does not protect against pertussis bacteria. It protects against the toxin from the bacteria. Therefore the bacteria is always in the environment. Only the youngest and oldest get life threateningly sick from the toxin. The bacteria stays in the community and is an under recognized cause of cough in adults.

4. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    As I was typing the above post I was called by the local board of health that one of our patients tested positive for pertussis.