360 - PCM problem | FerrariChat

360 PCM problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by priericky128, May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. priericky128

priericky128 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hello, I am a new owner of a 2001 360 spider manual (euro spec). This is my first Ferrari, and while I have worked on my other cars, I am struggling with a few things related to emissions inspections in my state (MO). I bought the car from a state that does not require emissions, so that (along with my own ignorance) prevented me from discovering some of these things when I had the car inspected before purchase. I have purchased a Foxwell 510 Elite scanner to help assess some of these problems, but I live ~5 hours from a Ferrari dealer, and some of these problems are a little more than my local shop can deal with it seems. The car was exposed to cold temperatures in February when it was shipped, and the battery died. We removed the battery after turning off the master switch and connected to a trickle charger, and then put it back in the car, and then re-engaged the master switch. So far, I have done a major service, fluids, tires, repairs to the soft top, and then driven around 150 miles. Inspection info and pictures of the car itself are attached.

Issue 1: The CEL will not illuminate on ignition. We pulled the cluster and visually inspected it, but the LED light itself for the CEL seems fine and is not damaged. I am not sure what would cause the CEL to never illuminate. What are some troubleshooting guidelines for this and what could cause it?

Issue 2: The emissions inspection shows "no response from PCM". I haven't been able to find much online about comm fail errors on this car. Any advice for addressing this issue?

Issue 3: Two readiness monitors on the catalytic converters are not showing ready. I believe that this is from needing to do the drive cycle. I found the memo on fchat and after talking to Continental AutoSports in Chicago, I will try the drive cycle again after turning the battery on and off. The service manager said readiness monitors in 360s are pretty temperamental and it may take a few tries to get it done.

Any help would be appreciated. I realize I am a novice and have a lot to learn, but if anyone has experience with these problems, advice would be great!
    -Rick
    PS please excuse the messy garage - it is a work in progress...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Read "shoptalk" in the May 2020 issue of FORZA magazine.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The comm error failure is probably causing this. Unlike previous generation Ferraris where the CEL has a dedicated wire runnning from the engine ECUs, the light is turned on by information on the databusses.

Looking at the report, is your OBD port working at all? There is a fuse for this, but your clock, cigarette lighter, door lights and Park lights are on the same fuse. You probably would have noticed if the fuse had blown.

4. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes you are correct the report says the OBD is not working at all. I wasn't sure if the fact that it is a euro has anything to do with that - from my reading the OBD is universal, but not sure if a european car would be different from a NA car.

I will check the fuses - that was going to be my next troubleshooting step. I believe my mechanic inspected these, but I will double check it. The car has been in the shop for a few weeks getting work on the soft top, but I remember the clock working fine the last time I had it.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    There is a pretty good thread on here for resetting readiness after disconnect battery. It involves some driving idling conditions.

I would invest in an obd scan tool.
    I’ve had good luck the the eobd-facile software and dongle that plugs into your obd port. One of the few that allow interrogation of both left and right side ecu.

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    thanks for the info. I have a foxwell scanner but I will look at the one you reference. i read the drive cycle thread and will run through that and see if it helps.

local govt said i can get a technical waiver if the computer will connect to my scanner and not show any codes, just need to send them a picture of the scanner connected to the car and a pic of the screen.

one4torque likes this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Rick that screenshot option is great. Nice and practical. Pretty rare in these times.

8. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    agreed. I think the government is just trying to get rid of me though honestly. being polite but persistent can work in some situations...hopefully I do not have error codes from the cats. I don't mind buying new ones but I've already done a lot of deferred maintenance...ready to just drive the car.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Actually, my point was that the fuses should be ok if the other items I listed were working. The OBD should have power. I don't think there is a separate fuse for the CAN Bus. The various ECUs should provide power.

Were they aware that the immobiliser must be deactivated to get a reading on a non-running car?

EastMemphis likes this.
  10. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I am not sure if he was aware. I didn't watch him do everything specifically, so it's totally possible he didn't deactivate the immobilizer. He knew how to start the car, but perhaps he was unaware of deactivating it when the car is not running to get the reading done. That is a very good point; when I scan it myself this weekend, perhaps that will fix my problem. That would be an amazing outcome.

11. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So it took me a while to get the car back due to delays with the spider top hydraulics, but I did finally get my Foxwell scanner to talk to the on board diagnostics and was able to get all the readiness monitors to reset with two runs of the drive cycle. Thankfully, Missouri was merciful with me and my photos of the scanner showing no codes and the readouts from the real-time data were enough to allow for a technical waiver and I got my plates today. Ian - I think you are correct that the technician did not know exactly what he was doing and I had assumed he did.

I met the owner of a tuning shop at an FCA local chapter event last week and will have him look at re-tuning the car or reflashing back to stock, but at least the urgency of registration is out of my way.

Thanks for the help everyone - if any of yall are ever in STL look me up for a drink!

Qavion, EastMemphis and one4torque like this.