Paul Walker from Fast and Furious died in a wreck... | Page 32 | FerrariChat

Paul Walker from Fast and Furious died in a wreck...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Matt LaMotte, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Even though we like to give the F&F series flack, it's clear the recurring characters are as close as family. And you have to respect the hell outta that.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Agreed. I love the characters. The action is silly and getting too over the top, but the way the cast meshes is rare. Not to mention that i also grew up watching them it really gets to me.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Same here, and own the first one. The second one disappointed me and havent sat through an entire movie of any others.

4. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Watch the fourth one when the characters all come back. It's awesome.

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It's a problem...

I've seen a guy show up at a track day with a new-to-him 333SP on old sneakers and couldn't get out of the pit without spinning it. Then, on his first lap, in T1, he puts it off and does damage to the splitter. Day over. Thousands in damage.

CW

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    This write up blames the tires not the driver.
    It's like blaming a gun instead of a guy using it to kill someone.
    Rhodas, being a "good driver" should know better and not attempt to drive at more then twice the speed limit on 9 year old tires (that every professional or even very experienced amateur would be very aware of).
    Tires were a factor in this accident, driver was solely responsible.

DGPF likes this.
  8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, while what you say is true (that everything is under the control of the driver), it's also true that hard-as-a-hockey-puck sneakers likely contributed to this loss of control. I don't think it necessarily absolves the driver, but the driver also paid a heavy price. So, would he have willingly and intentionally driven in this manner had he had a simple warning, "Hey, remember that these are OLD tires."?

I don't know that I would consider this an "equipment failure." Admittedly, it's not like a suspension breaking, collapsing and throwing the car into a spin, but neither is totally undetectable or unpredictable. It's more like a consumable that wasn't changed when used up or timed out. So, if you forget to change the engine oil, is it the engine that fails or the fact that the oil wasn't viscous any longer?

I think it merely serves as a reminder that the contact patches that keep these cars on the road shouldn't be forgotten. And, in an age where street cars are producing 700bhp straight off the showroom floor, it's pretty important to remember to keep those sneakers fresh.

CW

9. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This isn't "latest news" this is an opinion piece. The age of the tires was known and reported on within weeks of the crash and I shared that detail here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142801186-post561.html

Good of Matt to publish something that keeps the importance of tire age fresh in people's minds, but it is hardly new information as to a major contributing cause of this accident.

>8^)
    ER

10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, my bad, i used wrong words for the article's title. Of course it is just an opinion and it's interesting.

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    TMZ is really the bottom of the barrel. All about the clicks. How is Porsche celebrating the crashes.

I hate them.

13. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I guess the better question would be is a 6.4% loss ratio in the first 2 years high or not? I wonder what the rest of the data would say current...

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Like you said... 'the bottom of the barrel'....

15. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    is there a published table that demonstrates the loss of grip as a tire ages... for a visual of reasonable degradation of grip... as a wake up demo of how bad tires get as they age... there is more than seeing tread on an older tire

the common recommendation is that tires over five years of age fall into a "deteriorated condition" or out of spec for reliable expectation of safety... suggesting that the tires should be replaced in interest of retaining designed margin of safety

all tires are date coded, matching up existing tires from old stock is compromising safety and accepting a shorter safe operating life

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004