Paul Walker from Fast and Furious died in a wreck... | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Paul Walker from Fast and Furious died in a wreck...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Matt LaMotte, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Source/link I want to read more about how it doesn't "really cost millions of $$$ to build in(SIC) airplane" ?

Are we talking 10% more, 30%, or some astronomical figure that is just silly?

2. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    What would Chas say....

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Some people on here continue to believe you can't have an opinion on something unless you're subscribed or in fact have a Ferrari (even if the subject is only on the matter of exterior looks, or in other words, TASTE!)...

Would've taken a matter of seconds to google ''wtdoom Carrera GT''...
    IMO the drivers car as we know it was already killed when the obsession for lap times on the nurburgring truly took hold and became big importance for any performance car. Enter the R35 GTR and it's grudge match with the 911 Turbo and it was done. Here is a car that is heavy, but so laden with electronics it can still go round the 'ring faster than any supercar at the time (barring Carrera GT, Enzo, Zonda, just shy by a couple of seconds) with relative ease.

Porsche couldn't be slower than a Nissan. Ferrari couldn't be slower than either. Lamborghini had to jump on the bandwagon...And the only way to truly make these cars go that fast whilst still make it possible for the driver to go fast too...was electronics.

Haha :).
    Seriously doubt it. Pre orders where taken way before this accident. I think it's because the direction Porsche choose with the 918 (heavy, full of electronics) that it's not as successful. It's not an upgraded Carrera GT like I think a lot of people would've wanted.

The accident didn't put 1% of sale loss in the car, I'd think.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #754 No Doubt, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :eek:

Are those things official? ;)

6. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Apparently copyrighted too!

7. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
  8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#758 Bradwilliams, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Exactly.............

10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

hahah. I was hoping somebody would get a chuckle out of those memes amongst all of the bickering about the CGT. LOL

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Actually, the GTR was free from brand imaging styling - the engineers could make it look how they felt helped its aero the most. It has more down force, and less drag than a Carrera-GT. At the speeds of the 'ring - that is significant.

The LFA also got a free-er hand in its design, and was lighter, smaller, more agile, and better sounding than say, a Ferrari 599. Ferrari definitely seems to have been influenced by the LFA with the F12, which packs significantly better aerodynamic figures than its predecessor, its also much smaller.

12. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    #762 Wtdoom, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    That line re downforce is complete misinformation you have been given mate , even at 200kph the cgt has significantly more downforce than the GTR ( this increases massively as speeds increase and the ground effect and rear wing make their presence even more known [up to 400kg] ).Below are measured figures fyi

Nissan GT-R
    (A) 2,30 m²
    (cd) 0,31
    (cd × A) 0,71
    at 200km/h
    lift front 3kg
    downforce rear 8kg

Porsche Carrera GT
    (A): 1.95 m²
    (cd): 0.37
    (cd × A): 0.72
    at 200km/h
    downforce front 49kg
    downforce rear 40g

From sport auto:

According to Porsche Carrera GT generates the body including the artfully shaped carbon fiber underbody at top speed (330 km / h) an output load of 400 kilograms. The Windkanalmesssung to 200 km / h confirmed these statements: The output is in this case on the front axle around 490 Newton meters; on the rear axle, there are close to 400 The aerodynamic balance is almost perfectly balanced. The smoke test confirmed the visible effect of the impressive wing as well as the rear diffuser.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #763 Bas, Jun 8, 2014
    Thanks but that wasn't my point...My point was electronics killing most of the drivers involvement.
    +1 ,CGT's front area is significantly smaller (huge impact on overall drag).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzai7PgLinQ[/ame]

In this nurburgring lap record video the CGT doesn't look like the formidable death machine people think it is. Gentle inputs...:)

14. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    #764 Wtdoom, Jun 8, 2014
    Still pretty handy the old girl ( eh Mr Jaski ?) and on that crap "bespoke" tyre ( that even Michelin admitted to me was " meant to be good on track and in the wet but ended up not particularly good at either ".

Also regarding the black falcon test there is a lot of chatter that that Cgt was on the plus 10 droplinks , which would make here roll a lot more than one would expect on track but give better ground clearance for road driving .

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I haven't read every post the last few pages but... What you're saying is that the factory specific tires for the Carrera GT were not a great match for the car?

16. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    #766 Wtdoom, Jun 8, 2014
    Not necessarily . In my experience the original tyres were good on the road but not up to the quality of more dedicated rubber in extreme ( for example track use ) applications . Fine for a few laps but not for extreme use or ultimate times .
    The supersports currently n rated for the Carrera gt are a much better tyre all round and suit the characteristics of the Carrera gt much better .

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Interesting. I would love to know what it can do with the proper droplinks and the newer recommended tire.

18. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I see, thanks for replying.

19. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I sit corrected on the downforce figures.

20. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    Any news on the case from our American members?

21. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skpu5HaVkOc]Furious 7 - Official Trailer (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

22. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Do we know why the car caught on fire?

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Probably the fuel tank broke (impossible though) or the fuel lines caused (possible) the fire.

24. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Did you see what the car hit and where it ended up?

The fuel tank is sandwiched behind the rear bulkhead between the cockpit and engine. This is nice protected area but... Any one of the heavy impacts could have broken a fuel line or oil line and started a fire on hot engine bits. As hard as it hit, it could have also sheared off a fitting to the fuel tank or cracked the tank itself.

25. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Just saw furious 7. The tribute to paul at the end was a real tear jerker. Rip again paul.