Paul Walker from Fast and Furious died in a wreck... | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Paul Walker from Fast and Furious died in a wreck...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Matt LaMotte, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#726 Bradwilliams, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    You've managed to take comments out of context. I said he might be real, but his behavior didnt lend to that conclusion. He listed 4 Ferrari supercars and 2 CGTS, yet until moments ago was unsubscribed...which mirrors hundreds of poseurs here even if he was the one real owner among a sea of fakers.

It is Summer Vacation for a lot of schools. Fchat gets a regular, predictable influx of unsubscribed, bored kids each year at this time who all pretend to be more than they arent. Schoolkids are typically broke, so the subscription is but one of many ways to filter them.

Now he is subscribed. Moot point except for a few who seem butthurt that he was...gasp...questioned.

Oh my, not that! If it is said online you shouldnt dare...question...grand claims of owning 4 Ferrari supercars and 2 CGTs online at the end of school!

3. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Right so you called out a respected and known collector. He might not be known to you but he is very well known on the forums. Now tell us more about the superior handling qualitys of the 240sx over the cgt? What do you base these comments on exactly? Ferrari chat already has a quality police force busting idiots regularly. Leave it to them. Plus it makes whatever business you're plugging look piss poor.

4. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    #729 Wtdoom, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    To clarify , I do not own 2 Carrera gt's . My mileage is split among 2 Carrera gt's . My first car was silver but I wanted a black one . When the right car popped up I changed . I'm sorry if I gave another impression , I assure you it was not my intention.

Thank those of you that know me from other places( and others ) for vouching for me , I don't take mr no doubts doubts ( sorry , I couldn't resist ) as malicious . He has obviously been messed around several times before on forums like this .

No doubt , you have pm sir .

I hope we can now get back to discussing this terrible tragedy and the effect this court case will have on us ( as enthusiasts ), Porsche and true drivers cars of the future ( and possibly even the past ).

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thanks for the pm!

6. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    Your welcome sir .

7. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    I think this crash has killed the pure drivers car . Surely well known and big manufacturers cannot risk this kind of action ? I fear all new cars will be bogged down with electronics ( that even when you turn off are never truly off ) and in extremis there may even be a backlash against older cars .

This court case may have larger ramifications than rodas family vs porsche , I for one am concerned .

8. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    #733 Midnight Oil, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Group hug?... only for subscribed members.

9. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This was funny. :D

Add me to the list of people who will confirm there should be no doubts about wtdoom's credibility. I've not personally met him but we do have a few mutual friends/acquaintances and have known each other through a couple of other forums where he also posts as wtdoom.

>8^)
    ER

10. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Amazing Pcar collection you have!

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    But the drivers car died before the crash. The CGT and maybe the Rs4.0 were the last of them fromEurope. Most these days are paddle only.

The last Hi Po drivers cars may be the Z28 Zo6 Viper and Lotus. You can also buy things ike GT40s and Rossions if badge not an issue. In fact the rise of high quality well engineered componant cars is the markets answer to what OEMs no longer offer.

Porche may still surprise us with the cayman GT4.

But the ranks are thinning.

No defeatable nannies, that is a concern. A lot started like that but turn off able systems seem to have made a presence.

But if its ferrari porche or Lambo, not really drivers cars anymore. ironic that they were the purveyors of pure drivers cars and built their rep on them. And yeah the court cases and low demand makes it unlikely that Ferrai or porche will offer drivers cars again. But then not many drivers left, more paper spec buyers and fashionistas..

12. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    #737 lcworld, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Maybe the accident and subsequent negative publicity surrounding the CGT may have hurt 918's sales a little bit (at the begining).

The irony is the 918 may be the safest of the 3 hybrid supercars.

(Wtdoom please contribute more of your experiences with these (hybrid) supercars, thanks. Thumbs up.)

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Very, very true.
    Current Ferraris (and others) make drivers look heroic, anyone can now drift or drive them in a way previously only possible for super skilled or real pros, all it takes is specific setting of Manettino and electric diff does the job for them.
    I was looking for a fun car lately and it came down to a choice between 599GTO vs CGT, both priced very similarly.
    In the end my personal criteria decided: which car can be driven by my Granma with ease?
    The latter ended in my garage and I never even looked back, the car exceeded all my expectations and it seems it will never bore me as ALL the other modern exotics I owned before did after a while.

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Spot on...you made the right choice!
    Every time I drive it, my blood is fueled with adrenaline....feels like an F16, tank, silver bullet train all in one.

Sent from my 16M

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I hear you. I was in Cali last summer and a friend had just bought a CGT, he laso had a 12C and a 458 spider. Frankly juts looking at the build of the CGT made the two others look like the commom mass products thye are. The whole suspension setup and build, pure eye candy. You can see this is a real productionsied race car, as opposed to a fast road car apeing race car looks.

The next day we went for a drive. Its the first modern I have been in, or near modern that was compelling or excitiong. Everyhting I find good in my boxer turned up to 11 or 15. Smooth motor with a great hit of power up the rev range, Great brakes, good steering(the one thing not superlative) Easy shifting, sound feel great cockpit. Seemed almost the perfect car. Its the one modern I could see stretching to buy. But not thye are not 350k anymore so out of my range, unless this lawsuit brngs the price back down.

Its like a F50 only better for less.

As to the whole tires thing. My experience is that old rubber not only has less ultimate grip, but its breakaway charateristics are reall abrubt and snappy, just like cold slicks on a track. Take a car with its mass so well centred as a CGT, the hit of power comming in as the revs hit the sweetspot in 2nd or third old hard rubber and viola. These guys were going 100mph round a bend .

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sean I've always enjoyed reading your comments, a true driver's enthusiast.

The last statement is powerful, especially on a Ferrari forum ;)
    But I do agree

Sent from my 16M

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#742 Bradwilliams, May 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Totally agree. I own both and the CGT wins without any hesitation. There's no contest.

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    In the very short times, since I own one, I learned quickly what a tight knit the small community of CGT owners is.
    In all conversations and interactions one thing is common to all of them, they are all conscious of the fact how privileged and lucky they are to be able to own and enjoy that very special car.
    Regardless of how big and varied collection of other supercars they may own.....

20. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Not sure if any have mentioned this or not. The real issue I see in this legal manuever by Rodas wife to find blame is the long term effects it will have on clubs, club racing, manufacturers and the tracks that everyone enjoys. They all have insurance, but for how long will insurance companies issue coverage as more individuals get involved in autocross, slaloms, hillclimbs and the "need for speed". Porsche can defend this, but probably settle out of court. A small specilaty manufacturer can't handle a sizable hit in court.

In the Fontana case of the other CGT death, the courts held the Ferrari Owners Club partially reponsible. Could the PCA and FOC stop holding open track days? That could happen after a few more highly publicized accidents...Let's hope not....

21. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    I highly doubt Porsche will settle out of court. They haven't done anything wrong. The driver was breaking the law and driving like a retard in a built up area. Professional driver or not he caused the crash. Not some design flaw in the car itself. If he wasn't doing 90+ mph they wouldn't have crashed. Also how can a professional driver overlook the importance of having good rubber on the car? No way Porsche settles it would open them upto a lawsuit from every cgt that has or will be crashed. Driver error + failure to maintain the vehicle + speeding doesn't = Porsches fault for these deaths. Not sure how you think a crash on the street will effect track day insurance? They aren't the same thing at all.

22. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

23. Sciotoboy

Sciotoboy Karting

Jan 26, 2014
    New Albany,Lake Nona
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    Porsche is owned by VW,not a small specialty manufacturer anymore.

24. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes, we know.

25. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just look at the aviation industry. It fell victim to this concept may moons ago.

It does not really cost millions of $$$ to build in airplane. The money is for future legal defense.