355 - Passenger door window | FerrariChat

355 Passenger door window

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Oct 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    The window on the passenger side will not go all the way up. It stops 8 mm from the top. Anyone has an idea? It's a GTS model -97.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Klas, there are no electrics on the GTS which would stop the window 8mm from the top (other than the motor/regulator). Does the window speed on both windows seem to be the same?

Are there any rattles in the door? There are messages on the forum about broken guide rails. A weld is required to fix them. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/how-to-fix-a-common-348-window-problem.107061/#post-135816942

(EDIT: Sorry, that was for the 348. I'm not sure if it applies to the 355. Here's a 355-specific thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fix-for-355-drivers-door-rattle.59677/ )

Also make sure the guides are lubricated (perhaps a dry, powder lubricant would be best?).

3. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    No rattle and left window has the same speed as the right. Took the outer part of the door off, sprayed lubrication oil into the gear wire as it was very dry. The window still does not go all the way up but maybe a bit quicker now. There is an adjustable stopper but that is not the problem and there is a click at the end of the window ride and it stops. Sound like a switch indicator. Someone knows if there is one and where?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Only the spider has dedicated microswitches. Here's the wiring diagram (I've added the spider window switches "03084" and "03085").

Ferrari F355 Fig10_Window_Control_5.2(1997~) Wiring Diagram

If the motor doesn't have internal (current sensing) circuits or clutch which controls the stopping at the end of travel, the only other component to stop the motor running would be the Window Control Unit next to the stereo control panel (under the dash). For the control unit, Google "Ferrari part 154769" (replaces P/N 155573)

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/355-52-motronic/bodywork-lighting/doors-glass-lifting-device-41129

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Have you tried applying 12 volts directly to the motor plug? If the window goes all the way up, the ECU is responsible for the window stopping and is faulty. If the window doesn't go all the way up, this will prove the ECU does not control the stopping of the motor.

7. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Good idea to try before changing the ECU

8. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    This happened to my GTS. What had happened was the window electric mechanism cable guide sleeve had broken its inner door retaining clip. The sleeve gets caught between the the window and the window runners track at the front off the window. You need to remove the door trim and re attach the sleeve to the inner door frame

Qavion likes this.
  9. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Interesting, do you have a picture or two of this?

10. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    No sorry I just fixed it and put the door trim back on.

11. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  12. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Took the motor and entire lift system out. Quite easy to remove. Connected the motor to see it operating in detail and the rear lift came out of the lower track as there was no stop. I thought it should stop before the end but it did not. What stops the motor in each end? Can it be the resistance as a mechanical stop. The motor or ECU seems not to know where the travel ends are by it self. Anyone knows better?

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Well, you've proven that there are no limit switches inside the motor/gearbox. Since there are no internal switches in the motor and there are no switches on the door frame or window mechanism (according to the diagrams), the motor can only be stopped by the pressure of the glass when it hits the top of the frame (or when it hits an obstruction).

This leaves two possibilities:
    There is a clutch mechanism in the motor assembly that responds to pressure.
    The ECU detects a change in the current of the motor when the glass hits the top (or an obstruction) and stops movement.

If no one offers a solution, I would put the motor mechanism back in the door and put 12 volts on the motor (as suggested earlier). If you're sure the glass moves easily in the guides and if the glass still stops 8mm below the top, then there must be something wrong with the motor clutch.

14. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you have the door open and the engine running will it go to the top then?

Qavion likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good point. As the window is frameless, there must be some kind of "endstop" in the mechanism other than the car roof. Is this endstop adjustable? The endstop has to be separate from the motor/regulator as Klas' window kept winding until the glass came out of the track. There must be something in the door to stop movement.

16. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    #16 Klas, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    There is an adjustable upper end stop on each guide and a fixed rubber central stop for the window in the lower end, but with the window out the system does not recognise this lower stop. Interesting thought to test with engine on.

But as I unfortunately got the rear guide lift off track, the wire came off the motor coggs. Front and left lifting wires must be synced for a parallell lifting. It will be difficult to find the exact position again for the wires I guess.

Qavion likes this.
  17. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I''s covered in more detail in the link I mentioned in Post #11 but as mentioned I took both the the inner panel off and the outer lower door panel then if you unplug the cable clip you can bring the window switch outside the car so you can operate teh window and watch what it does - MIND YOUR FINGERS!!!!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Klas and Qavion like this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The switch would still talk to the motor via the window ECU, so it still wouldn't prove if the ECU or motor/regulator was faulty, but, as you say, it's still a good idea to see what's happening when you operate the switch.

Klas likes this.
  19. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    I did as you proposed to be able to better see what’s happening. I think there is a sync possibility as I noticed that the front guide does not lift unless you push it up a bit by hand when you drive the right to its low end. By that it should be possible to sync front guide with rear. So I will try to get the rear guide a small step (10 mm) up compared with front.

20. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #20 348Jeff, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    If you get hold of the front guide (use gloves as some bits are sharp) can you wiggle it to find any movement??

Here's a photo -I don't mean undo bolt as shown I'm talking about the black triangular piece to the right that guides the glass - try lubricating/cleaning the guide then loosening off that machine screw to see if that's stopping the window glass moving. (hope I have right end).

If it's the other end try loosening the 3 door screws that hold the black door sail and lubricating/cleaning the inner rubber guides.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Fixed the problem today. Now the upper window stop is aligned with the frame again. :)

Qavion likes this.